• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
See the 2 images I've just got off of TheTrainline: -
rochford.JPG

london.JPG

and I've ran that query several times - fares are def right.
How on earth can it cost MORE to buy a rtn Rochford to London than London to Rochford?
If someone had a season ticket bought from Rochford, to London - could they save by buying one at London, to Rochford?
Curious...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder how many London-Rochford singles are sold? :laughing:

Easypeasy found another example with Morpeth-Newcastle being cheaper to Newcastle than from Newcastle, and there are others too, although the majority of tickets are the same in both directions.

paul1609

Established Member
This applys to nearly all tickets in the London and South East Area where there are no open tickets either. It has done for many years certainly back in to BR days. If anything the differential has decreased in recent years because reverse flow as they are called cheap day returns used to be unrestricted.

When i first started work in Brighton nobody used to buy a Littlehampton to Brighton Standard Day return because there was an unrestricted Littlehampton to Hassocks Cheap Day Return at £1.50 cheaper, this loophole has been closed for many years now though.

Table 52

Season tickets are always priced the same both ways for obvious reasons. And there's not a formula which states it's always 4 times the SDR price or anything like that- it's a seperate product and priced accordingly.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
According to the NR page on tickets, it doesn't say the OUT is only valid with an unused RTN portion, like it does for Open Rtns. Does this mean I can get a London to Rochford SDR and use it 'backwards.'

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've since discovered it's alright - 'til Monday when the new National Conditions of Carnage [sic] come into force :p

Status
Not open for further replies.