• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fast and Slow lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLandy

Established Member
In my naïvete, I'd always assumed that quad-track railway with separate Fast and Slow lines would be consistent across the network, with Fasts in the middle and Slows on the outside, just like the lanes of a dual carriageway. Indeed, that seems to be true of the South West Main Line. However, I've since learned that's not true on the WCML. So, is it just the WCML that's an oddity, or is it the norm and the SWML is different? Is there any consistency or a 'standard' way of doing it (even if it's diverged from sometimes when appropriate to do so)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
The GWR used the terms "Main" and "Relief" rather than fast and slow and the GWML formation between Ladbroke grove and Didcot is Down Main, Up Main, Down Relief, Up Relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.