• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fastech 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinkansen09

Dolphin anyone?

Yes Darandio.....Dolphin indeed !!!!!...reminds me of a similar topic on a different page!!:roll:

I think people will find it`s called progress.....modern designs for aerodynamics, noise reduction and reduced power consumption:lol:

I think the "ears" to aid the braking is a great idea, I do wonder however if this will cause vibration to the coach bodies they are mounted to.:roll:

English Conga eel anybody:oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shinkansen09

The new Mag-lev (581km/h) still holds the record, test track or not, and has demonstrated passing another train at a combined speed of more than 1000km/h. Pretty amazing accomplishment, if you ask me. (Is that considered 1Mm/h? :D
:oops:

Sorry bluemeansgo but I don`t think a Mag-lev is a train!!!:lol:
Does it run on rails???....no:roll:
It`s like saying a Southern tramcar is also a train:roll:

Established Member

bluemeansgo

The new Mag-lev (581km/h) still holds the record, test track or not, and has demonstrated passing another train at a combined speed of more than 1000km/h. Pretty amazing accomplishment, if you ask me. (Is that considered 1Mm/h? :D
:oops:

Sorry bluemeansgo but I don`t think a Mag-lev is a train!!!:lol:
Does it run on rails???....no:roll:
It`s like saying a Southern tramcar is also a train:roll:

Not sure what your definition of a train is... but we have to be careful when defining what a train is and isn't.

Throughout history, there have been many different forms that the word "train" has come to mean. I like the wikipedia defines it:
A train is a connected series of vehicles that move along a track (permanent way) to transport freight or passengers from one place to another. The track usually consists of two rails, but might also be a monorail or maglev guideway.

The key points we should take from this is that it's a fixed guideway and it's [usually] a set of connected vehicles. The word train comes from Latin and means "to pull, draw" which is where the sense of the word came from... a train of carriages, pulled along a track.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm merely stating that over time, the word train has meant several things. From "Wagon train" to "train on steel rails" to idioms like "a train of thought"

Many high speed trains these days use continuously welded rails and the rail bed are concrete ties. This is a lot different than the original incrnation of steam-powered locomotives pulling a set of carriages. In fact, if one was strict with one's definitions, can any EMU unit be called a train... I mean, there's no locomotive pulling carriages, which was the meaning in the original sense of the word.

For that matter, both Montréal and Paris' metros use trains that run on a fixed concrete guideway and have rubber wheels. Would it be fair not to call these metros trains just because they don't adhere to the traditional steel wheels on steel rails idea?
300px-Metro_Paris_rubber_wheel.jpg

I'm pretty sure most people would still call the Paris Metro a "train".

In any case, In Japan's case, the Maglev does sit on rails. They require some kind of rails to run on until they reach about 100km/h when the train starts to levitate and the wheels retract. One of the things that is attractive about the line is that it can be converted to a regular High Speed track if the Maglev doesn't work out.

You could probably call streetcars more of an edge case when it comes to defining them as trains. As they are single units. Sure, they run on a fixed guideway, but they're more akin to a bus on rails.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. As far as most people are concerned, Mag-levs are in fact trains, just not what we call "conventional rail".

bluemeansgo

Again, I was not intending to sound pedantic.

Mag-lev, especially the Japanese mag-lev does in fact run on rails. Concrete rails.

I said that I liked the way wikipedia described it not that it was a credible source.

The other link that talked about the etymology of train was far more useful.

I hope you didn't waste too much time doing research on the word. Although, it did serve one purpose. A word can mean many different things depending on use.

Be careful not to pidgeon hole yourself into defining a word so specifically. If I were to define train as a locomotive that pulls cars, it could be argued that none of the HSR in Japan use trains.... as each car is an engine unto itself. Of course, say that to anyone any they will think you are crazy, or at least pedantic.

Of course it's a train, because to confine our definition to something so specific is silly.

Mag-lev travels on(over) a fixed guideway. So what it's concrete. The ties on a modern railway aren't made of wood anymore, either.

It carries a bunch of passengers.

It consists of a bunch of cars joined together.

As for Paris, it uses rails as a Guide to ensure the traction wheels go in the right direction. It's still a train, even though it doesn't travel ON the rails.

Montréal is a completely rubber-tire system.

A Japanese rubber-tired train:
800px-ST_SN5000_20061102_001.jpg

Sapporo guideway:
450px-Sapporo_subway_rollers.jpg

Mexico subway train:
800px-Metro_Mexico_City.jpg

The comment about southern region tramcars...was tongue in cheek...of course they are a type of train but a maglev?? it doesn`t travel on "rails"
"maglev guideway." - does not have rails (plural)
Not railway track - "guideway"
Does not possess wheels in contact with "rails"

What do "rails" have to do with a train? You're not making much sense.

A "railway" is a type of guideway, which is a more generic term.

Trains can travel on many kinds of guideways. Concrete, Steel Rails with Wooden ties, Continuously welded rails, Iron Rails, "Insert Steel alloy of your choice", concrete, and even magnetic fields. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Anyway, it's really a non-issue. After all, you're entitled to your opinion. However, I do wonder what you would call it then...

A mag-lev... "rolling stock" oh wait... it doesn't roll.

upnorth71

Very sleek that 500 Series one. Don't like the interior though, it's a bit to airline for my liking, complete with 5 abreast seating!

One of the reasons the 500 series weren't successful was just that reason- the claustrophobic interiors, especially compared to the squarish cross-sections on the 700 and N700 series. Also, the enthusiast-pleasing front ends take up space that would otherwise be devoted to passenger seating. So these units cannot be substituted for other units, as a good number of passengers with reserved seats on a 700 series train would be left out on the platform. Thus, JR West has moved almost all the 500's to "Kodama" service between Shin-Osaka and Hakata. Only two return workings a day remain serving Tokyo Station (gone by 2010?). But on holidays you can see people with platform tickets crowding the platforms at Tokyo Station just to see and photograph them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You know, I find that Japanese trains look less like trains and more like space-ships. Then again, who are we to judge what another culture finds to be beautiful, eh?

True about culture. You know, I find some of the contemporary UK EMU and DMU designs rather arthropoidal in appearance- think "caterpillar face". Not to infer that it reflects British standards of beauty;)

*however love the stuff BREL produced- HSTs, Mk3 coaches, etc. Have pleasant memories of screaming class 43's (Valenta) smoking up Reading Station...

Last edited:

bluemeansgo

One of the reasons the 500 series weren't successful was just that reason- the claustrophobic interiors, especially compared to the squarish cross-sections on the 700 and N700 series. Also, the enthusiast-pleasing front ends take up space that would otherwise be devoted to passenger seating. So these units cannot be substituted for other units, as a good number of passengers with reserved seats on a 700 series train would be left out on the platform. Thus, JR West has moved almost all the 500's to "Kodama" service between Shin-Osaka and Hakata. Only two return workings a day remain serving Tokyo Station (gone by 2010?). But on holidays you can see people with platform tickets crowding the platforms at Tokyo Station just to see and photograph them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

True about culture. You know, I find some of the contemporary UK EMU and DMU designs rather arthropoidal in appearance- think "caterpillar face". Not to infer that it reflects British standards of beauty;)

*however love the stuff BREL produced- HSTs, Mk3 coaches, etc. Have pleasant memories of screaming class 43's (Valenta) smoking up Reading Station...

So strange. You'd think they'd just extend the length of the train overall. It doesn't matter if the nose of the train sticks off the platform, after all.

upnorth71

Re. long noses and carriage length- The E5 has a long nose like the 500 series (less purty tho...). But I guess the sacrifice in reduced capacity in the driving car is more than compensated by the shock wave-reducing shape- which is important as a good portion of the route this unit will run on is in tunnel.

shinkansen09

Again, I was not intending to sound pedantic.

Mag-lev, especially the Japanese mag-lev does in fact run on rails. Concrete rails.

What do "rails" have to do with a train? You're not making much sense.

A "railway" is a type of guideway, which is a more generic term.

Trains can travel on many kinds of guideways. Concrete, Steel Rails with Wooden ties, Continuously welded rails, Iron Rails, "Insert Steel alloy of your choice", concrete, and even magnetic fields. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Anyway, it's really a non-issue. After all, you're entitled to your opinion. However, I do wonder what you would call it then...

No worries....I never believed you were being pedantic :)
A mag-lev runs on rails...concreate ones!??
"What do rails have to do with trains???"...well quite alot actually...gauge corner cracking aside:roll:
A Railway is so called because it is formed of "rails", not a concreate guideway. A railway is not a guideway as I think you will find Railways have been around longer than guideways?...also used for busses<D
A bendy-bus are two vehicles joined together, does that make a train out of a bus:roll:
"A mag-lev... "rolling stock" oh wait... it doesn't roll" Hurrah! at last you got it:lol:
What do I think of Mag-lev systems?. They are highly technical, incredible pieces of kit. Yes they are very fast. Yes they cost a fortune, but are they a train....no affraid not. A magnetic field is not a rail, if they can run at low speed on a concreate rail then levitate, do they then cease to be a train by your own definition?
An enjoyable debate

bluemeansgo

No worries....I never believed you were being pedantic :)
A mag-lev runs on rails...concreate ones!??
"What do rails have to do with trains???"...well quite alot actually...gauge corner cracking aside:roll:
A Railway is so called because it is formed of "rails", not a concreate guideway. A railway is not a guideway as I think you will find Railways have been around longer than guideways?...also used for busses<D

The term railway is not in dispute. A railway is a guideway. A roman road or aquaduct could be considered a guideway. Elevated rail sits in a concrete guideway. Rails are merely the implementation. In fact, in Japan, ALL high speed rail runs inside a guideway.

A bendy-bus are two vehicles joined together, does that make a train out of a bus:roll:

I think you'd have a hard time convincing people of that, my friend.

It's not travelling along a fixed guideway.

I'm curious what you consider GLT to be.

"A mag-lev... "rolling stock" oh wait... it doesn't roll" Hurrah! at last you got it:lol:
Exactly... so what do you call mag-lev trains? trains of course.

What do I think of Mag-lev systems?. They are highly technical, incredible pieces of kit. Yes they are very fast. Yes they cost a fortune, but are they a train....no afraid not. A magnetic field is not a rail, if they can run at low speed on a concrete rail then levitate, do they then cease to be a train by your own definition?
An enjoyable debate

Since you've called it rail, they they would fit your definition. Not 100% sure what you mean by hovering over concrete rails at low-speed... however, Nagoya's mag-lev train is constantly hovering over its metal rails and it travels at "low" speeds of 100km/h:
linimo-maglev-train.gif

I never said a magnetic field was a "rail" though you could call it that. They're not always metal rails, however. I did say a "rail" doesn't define a train. There are many things that follow rail, including wheelchair-lifts, R/C Cars and submarines at amusement parks. Not to mention the fact that many vehicles travel on current conventional railways, including pickup trucks, speeder cars and even homemade scooters:
pjohnmcandhirail2.jpg

Called a Speeder, or "track car"
Car3Bingman.jpg

4-load-scooter.jpg

So, defining a train as "a vehicle that must travel on a railway" is specious at best. Mag-levs are not Rail-cars... which are specific type of train, I'll give you that, but they are trains.

Trains have always been basically interpreted as a set of vehicles travelling in a "train" formation on the same fixed path. Wagon trains come to mind. They were a long line of wagons, pulled by horses that made their way across America.

In the modern sense, it has come to mean a set of vehicles linked together travelling along a fixed path (or guide-way).

Things like articulated buses don't fit the criteria.

Mag-levs, however, do.

The BBC and, if you asked 100 random people, the majority would agree.

Japan to introduce maglev trains

Japan has said it aims to launch its first magnetic levitation - or maglev - rail service by 2025.

With a top speed of more than 500km/h (310mph), the trains will run between Tokyo and the central city of Nagoya.

Maglev trains use electric-powered magnets to enable them to float above their tracks, allowing for much faster speeds than traditional rail services.

First developed in the UK, there is today only one commercially operating maglev line in the world, in Shanghai.

I don't know about you, but I respect the BBC. IN the end, if it sounds like a train, acts like a train, looks like a train and feels like a train... maybe it is a train.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.