• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC 2nd Stage Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

stann

I have passed my assessment with First Capital Connect and now I am short listed for the 2nd stage.

The 2nd stage involves Reaction Test and interview. Can some one please advise me what the reaction test is all about and what will be asked at the interview? Any ideas please help.

Thanks to all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Firstly, congratulations. :)

As far as I remember, the reactions test is the one where you're sat at a computer with some headphones, pedals & specially made keyboard with different colour buttons. The screen tells you which buttons/pedals to press, and you have to keep up.

A tip: It runs 2 programmes. One is the pace set by the computer, so if it's going too fast, don't be afraid to stop for a few seconds & let it get back to your pace. The other is set by you. Try getting into a rythm a maintaining it, getting as many correct as possible.

The interview could be a number of pre-approved questions, but is usally competency based (ie emergency situation, working alone etc). You may be given a form to fill in with these questions on already, so if you decided to "bend the truth", remember what you wrote.

It's also very likely that the interviewer will ask you to elobroate or provide another example if they don't feel it's good enough. This is where you need to decide if you feel the example you gave is good enough (tell them), or if you are going to give them another one, make sure it's relevant.

Hope this helps. Best of luck. :)

wanabedriver

Well done and congratulations. The advice that Dave A has given is pretty accurate. What I can say about the reactions test is that the computer sets the speed for the first program and will gradually get faster, if you get out of step then pause and rejoin. The second part of the test you set the pace so set a good steady pace and you should pass.

For the interview they will ask questions about working to rules and regulations, working under pressure, working on your own, dealing with an emergency and I think discussing an achievement. They may as Dave has stated ask for more than one example so prepare a couple of examples and I think the key things they are looking for are being calm under pressure, controlled and someone who adheres to rules and regulations. This is what I remember from when I failed the interview :)
I hope this helps and good luck.

I have another chance and am still waiting for my assessment dates I just need to do the interview and the driver fault finding test. I have some idea of what to expect for the DFFT but do you have any tips for passing this as you have just successfully completed this.

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.