• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feasibility of Reworking Dublo Rail Curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Cutler

A friend of mine has asked if I can reshape a small 300mm section of Dublo railway line from a single curve to a "S" double curve to join two sets of points on his layout.
Not being a modeller myself I'm looking for advice regarding the feasibility of bending the length of Railway to a template without causing damage to the rails. Has anyone any experience of performing this type of reshaping and if so what are the chances of getting an accurate bend while maintaining the rail gauge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A friend of mine has asked if I can reshape a small 300mm section of Dublo railway line from a single curve to a "S" double curve to join two sets of points on his layout.
Not being a modeller myself I'm looking for advice regarding the feasibility of bending the length of Railway to a template without causing damage to the rails. Has anyone any experience of performing this type of reshaping and if so what are the chances of getting an accurate bend while maintaining the rail gauge.

Blimey that would be tricky. Would you be able to post a photo of the section of track you’re thinking of altering so we can have a bit of a think about it @Master Cutler?

Master Cutler

IMG_4969.jpg

His layout is still in the early construction phase and needs a one piece Rail connection between the two sets of points.
He has asked me if I can make a bending fixture of some sort in my workshop to enable the track to be re-curved.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Ah so it’s just two rail stuff, that should be doable. In theory it’ll be the sleepers that keep it to the correct gauge so you might be able to turn the track over, cut some of the plastic out between the sleepers and shape it (in a similar way to flexible track).

I’d probably warm it up a little because the plastic might be quite brittle. It’s one of those things though that if it was in front of me I could explain it a little better!

Master Cutler

Thanks for this Cowley, much appreciated. I have plenty of track to practice on and the layout is in its planning stage so small adjustments of the points may also be possible. I will give your suggestion a try and let you know the outcome.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Immediate (maybe too obvious) thought is to move the LH points to form a normal crossover, allowing you to curving the "main line" gently.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good point 30907, but I think he is modelling something specific and has fixed all of the positions.

Would it be possible to graft a bit of Peco flexible track in there or is the rail profile completely different? It’s a long time since I had any of that stuff.

randyrippley

Established Member
Would it be possible to graft a bit of Peco flexible track in there or is the rail profile completely different? It’s a long time since I had any of that stuff.
That would be the best way to do it - if Peco still uses the same profile it had in the 1960s, when that Hornby Dublo track was made.
My childhood attempts at bending back then proved disastrous - the track wouldn't move, then would suddenly fail and kink

Master Cutler

Due to see my friend this week and will discuss these options with him.
Sounds like we're on the right track. (sorry, couldn't resist)

IMG_0550.JPGI think I've solved it, cutting alternate sleeper links let's me bend the track and maintain the gauge. A bit of help from my Dremmel and a rotary burr. Next stage will be to bend a section to suit the layout.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Due to see my friend this week and will discuss these options with him.
Sounds like we're on the right track. (sorry, couldn't resist)

View attachment 139750I think I've solved it, cutting alternate sleeper links let's me bend the track and maintain the gauge. A bit of help from my Dremmel and a rotary burr. Next stage will be to bend a section to suit the layout.

Good work. :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
I would be concerned that the curve radii to achieve that connection would be so tight and of such a switchback nature as to represent a derailment risk to anything except four wheeled locomotives and rolling stock.

To illustrate this, I've crudely copied and pasted elements of the original image to demonstrate the discrepancy between two second radius curves in the available space (represented by the curved arms of the points), and provided a second image of the alignment likely to be required.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm and creativity and I'll be interested to see how you get on, but if it was me I would certainly be looking to either follow 30907's suggestion of relocating one of the sets of points, or using larger radius points (I appreciate that might not be an option if using existing track) to achieve a straight connection between them.

Attachments

• Track 2nd Radius.jpg
    Track 2nd Radius.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Track connection.jpg
    Track connection.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 12

12C

Just an observation, but from what I can see this isn’t Hornby Dublo track, it’s standard Hornby. Although quite old by the looks of it, I can see “made in Austria” printed on one section which I think dates from the 1980s if I remember correctly.

If so, all modern Hornby/Peco will be compatible with it, as long as it’s code 100 (the rail profile). A section of flexible track and maybe moving the two running lines slightly further apart if possible could be an option.

Master Cutler

Thanks for the comments and curve overlay sprinterguy, it does look a bit ambitious. I'm going to see my friend tomorrow evening to try making the bends to suit and will post the results.

12C well spotted, not being familiar with modelling myself I never thought of looking at the details moulded on the underside of the sleepers. I understand he does have Dublo track on some of his layouts, but this section must be the Hornby standard.

I appreciate all the advice everyone, I'm getting quite engrossed in all of this small scale engineering.

Managed to get the curves formed and so far we have had several tank engines through without derailing.
The HST also manages to negotiate the new link.
Many thanks for everyone's input. IMG_4993.jpgIMG_4994.jpg

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You probably wouldn’t have too much of a problem getting older short wheelbase models through that as they were designed to run through sharper curves. Anything longer or a more modern model would definitely struggle though.

Aesthetically (which is an important factor in a way) it looks a bit strange. I know he was keen to have the track plan a certain way but I’m a bit worried that this will draw attention away from what he’s actually trying to achieve. It might be worth revisiting some of the ideas mentioned above about moving one of the sets of points (despite your impressive bit of miniature engineering in having actually managed to graft that section of track in there).

Master Cutler

Totally agree with you on this Cowley, however, I must let you know there is a reason I am committed to my friend's layout requirements and unable to deviate from his vision.
We have known each other for over 40 years and our wives have been friends for over 50 years, but unfortunately my friend is suffering from quite advanced Parkinson's disease and the layout is his way of staying focussed and is more therapeutic for him than some other activities.
His dexterity and modelling skills of previous years are now fading, making every job on this layout difficult and frustrating for him.
The rail link does look extreme but now his shunting engines and small rolling stock can travers the points he is happy and can start to work on the scenery, so may be calling on my services again.
I will of course, as a novice, post again when I need more layout advice from everyone.
Thanks in advance.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Totally agree with you on this Cowley, however, I must let you know there is a reason I am committed to my friend's layout requirements and unable to deviate from his vision.
We have known each other for over 40 years and our wives have been friends for over 50 years, but unfortunately my friend is suffering from quite advanced Parkinson's disease and the layout is his way of staying focussed and is more therapeutic for him than some other activities.
His dexterity and modelling skills of previous years are now fading, making every job on this layout difficult and frustrating for him.
The rail link does look extreme but now his shunting engines and small rolling stock can travers the points he is happy and can start to work on the scenery, so may be calling on my services again.
I will of course, as a novice, post again when I need more layout advice from everyone.
Thanks in advance.

Morning @Master Cutler. Yes that certainly makes a lot sense and at the end of the day it’s his project so it’s probably better to keep moving forward with it while he’s enjoying thinking about what he’s making and is able to do as much as possible with your help.

Good luck to both of you and keep us posted with any progress or questions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.