• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feel like a change of scenery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ737

G'day

http://www.metrotrains.com.au/att-train-drivers-your-next-stop-is-melbourne/
Are you a qualified train driver who loves your job but is looking for a change of scenery? Would you like to call Melbourne home?

Metro Trains Melbourne is interested to hear from qualified train drivers who share a passion for people, travel and Melbourne. In order to be successful, you’ll be enthusiastic, well organised and have excellent communication skills. Above all, you will be an experienced train driver, who is ready to help customers reach their destination on time, safely and comfortably.
To be eligible for these Train Driver opportunities, you must have:

• Two or more years of qualified train driving experience, within the last two – five years;
  • A desire and ability to relocate to Melbourne
The length of conversion training would vary and be tailored depending on your qualifications, experience and competence.
So, if you’re looking for a rewarding, flexible, secure and exciting career, with a company that is really going places, we’d love to hear from you.
In return we will offer you a secure career with potential six-figure salary once fully qualified as a Metro driver*.
Apply now!
*Please note that you have to successfully complete all training requirements and standards before being appointed to the permanent position of a Metro Train Driver.
Bring plenty of money, you'll need it ;)
Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Latecomer

Thanks for posting this. It mentions 'potential' three figure salary. Do you know what the qualified salary actually is and what the wage would be prior to completion of the conversion course?

DJ737

G'day

New off the street recruits start on about $55000 then it goes up as you complete the various stages of training with final salary with shift penalties etc around the $100,000 mark, the training period for new recruits with no rail experience is 72 weeks, not sure what the length of training for this intake would be, probably a lot less.

Latecomer

Thanks for such a quick response DJ737. I would be bringing more than the 2 years post qualified train driving experience they mention in the advert. I'm doing a few cost of living comparisons currently!

Beveridges

Established Member
Let us know the results of that cost of living comparison as I may end up going to Australia one day. The UK is a sinking ship.

Luski28

Did anyone apply for this, sounds like a good opportunity for someone willing to make a new life down under

Luski28

Received this last night,

Dear ?????

I would like to thank you for your interest in joining Metro as a Qualified Train Driver. We have received a large number of applications and as you can imagine the applicants come from a range of backgrounds with varying levels of experience. This means that we are working through each applicant’s resume and any additional information provided and discussing this with our Training Department to determine suitability.

I appreciate your patience until we complete this process. We are likely to be in a position to contact you and advise you of the next stage in the process by mid to late next week.

Thanks again for your interest in joining the Metro team.

Regards

MetroRecruit

Dishwater

A reply from a TOC, I'm liking Aus already. I looked on the website and all I could do was set up a job alert. Wonder if I've missed the boat this time.

Dishwater

Well that's abit disappointing, thanks anyway. Does anyone know if this is the first time they've done this or is it just the start of some kind of recruitment drive? Cheers.

Luski28

Read this but start from page 34, seems that they reduced the driver training package down to 38 weeks from 72 but were finding that most new trainees were actually taking nearly 100 weeks so I guess that is why they are going down the already qualified route as they would be saving money, just my opinion though.

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11360272.htm

Last edited:

Luski28

Received this last night,

Dear ?????

I would like to thank you for your interest in joining Metro as a Qualified Train Driver. We have received a large number of applications and as you can imagine the applicants come from a range of backgrounds with varying levels of experience. This means that we are working through each applicant’s resume and any additional information provided and discussing this with our Training Department to determine suitability.

I appreciate your patience until we complete this process. We are likely to be in a position to contact you and advise you of the next stage in the process by mid to late next week.

Thanks again for your interest in joining the Metro team.

Regards

MetroRecruit

No news as yet, may be a good thing or a bad thing, who knows

fowler9

Established Member
The wage looks impressive, but Australia is really rather expensive at the same time. Good standard of living though, outdoor lifestyle, don't expect the weather in Melbourne to be amazingly better than that of the UK (My mate is currently whinging because it is the winter and it is pretty much like Liverpool where he is from in winter, hotter in summer though), but it is still a very good standard of living as regards house size. My mates dad who drives busses out in Melbourne reckons it is just as dodgy as the worst areas of Liverpool where he used to drive buses.

You pays your money, you takes your chance. I go for it for a change of scenery.

DJ737

G'day

I'll echo what fowler9 has posted.

Not sure if Metro bond new drivers for a period of time?

However once you are Victorian safeworking qualified the regional train operator V/Line
http://www.vline.com.au will take you on as a driver and you can live in regional Victoria for a more relaxed lifestyle than in Melbourne, plus the houses are cheaper, you can live 50 KM from your regional base and be at work after a 30 min drive on 100kmh roads.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

fowler9

Established Member
Its a great place to live, the house my mates family moved to in Packenham was a mansion compared to where they lived in Liverpool. Worth thinking about if you have the qualifications. Wish I had them. Got my fingers crossed with a company that makes buses in Queensland.

Status
Not open for further replies.