• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW contingency in the event of industrial action 8th-11th July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaeagle

Presumably, you'll call in claiming that you're sick. I assume that, otherwise, you would be disciplined or dismissed ?

Are you implying that I would lie to have the day off? For your information I will not be phoning up claiming that I'm sick. I've worked on the railways for 31 years and the only thing that makes me sick is seeing managers with no experience trying to run a railway with scant regard for employees and passengers alike.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Presumably, you'll call in claiming that you're sick. I assume that, otherwise, you would be disciplined or dismissed ?

no you wouldn't be disciplined or call in sick as you are protected! See link in the post above yours!

(i am not quite sure how that piece of protection has survived but there you go!)

IrishDave

no you wouldn't be disciplined or call in sick as you are protected! See link in the post above yours!

(i am not quite sure how that piece of protection has survived but there you go!)

Hang on, it's a bit more subtle than that. My read of that webpage is as follows:
  • If someone who is not a member of any union joins a strike led by a particular union, he's covered.
  • If someone who is a member of a different union than the one calling the strike, he's liable to be dismissed for taking part in the strike.
So if, for example, an ASLEF member refuses to cross an RMT picket line, he can be dismissed.

father_jack

Serivces for Thursday now appear to be up on NRE, and a few more details about scheduled bus service acceptance etc are here:

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/strike

Same timetable is intended to operate Friday. The upload was too big for NR to do in one hit for Friday at the one time.

It was amusing to have a customer/veg today say the strike must have been reduced to one day because the internet was showing a normal service Friday. On being corrected he said he said he was still right because realtimetrains was showing a full service and that was better than National Rail.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing....;)

Captain Chaos

Hang on, it's a bit more subtle than that. My read of that webpage is as follows:
  • If someone who is not a member of any union joins a strike led by a particular union, he's covered.
  • If someone who is a member of a different union than the one calling the strike, he's liable to be dismissed for taking part in the strike.
So if, for example, an ASLEF member refuses to cross an RMT picket line, he can be dismissed.

I believe it's the other way around. An Aslef circular at work stated that those members who choose not to cross the picket line will lose a days pay but not be dismissed. Any attempt at disciplinary action is to be forwarded to the union. At least that's what it seemed to me anyway.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

That doesn't sound right. Can anyone clarify what should/would happen ?

455driver

Veteran Member
If you are a member of the Union taking the action then you are officially in dispute and do not have to work and because you are officially in dispute there is nothing the Company can do.

If you are a member of a different Union which is not taking action then you are not in dispute so you are expected to work, however if you decide you do not want to cross the official picket line then although you are in breach of your contract your Union will support you if the Company decide to discipline you (possibly causing your Union to go into a dispute).

If you are not in any Union then you are not in dispute and so you are expected to work, however if you decide you do not want to cross the official picket line then you are in breach of your contract and if the Company decide to discipline you, you are on your own!

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
If you are a member of the Union taking the action then you are officially in dispute and do not have to work and because you are officially in dispute there is nothing the Company can do.

If you are a member of a different Union which is not taking action then you are not in dispute so you are expected to work, however if you decide you do not want to cross the official picket line then although you are in breach of your contract your Union will support you if the Company decide to discipline you (possibly causing your Union to go into a dispute).

If you are not in any Union then you are not in dispute and so you are expected to work, however if you decide you do not want to cross the official picket line then you are in breach of your contract and if the Company decide to discipline you, you are on your own!

Thank you very much, that's how I thought it was supposed to work. Essentially, if it's not your dispute but you refuse to cross an official picket line then you may be disciplined, or dismissed - but, if you are in a Union, they will (or possibly may ?) support you in your case.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
. Essentially, if it's not your dispute but you refuse to cross an official picket line then you may be disciplined, or dismissed

That isn't correct. The gray area is what happens if you are a member of a union OTHER than the one in dispute.

A non union member refusing to cross a recognised picket line is covered by the protection set out above. Captain Chaos has the correct approach as per guidance issued recently. A member of a union not in dispute being fired for failing to cross a picket line of another union would immediately bring that union into dispute. (assuming they had representation rights with the employer)

Now the non union person would have to fight their own corner with their employer in the event of any unpleasantness........

That doesn't sound right. Can anyone clarify what should/would happen ?

I was discussing the case of a none union member. The situation for members of other unions not in dispute is not clear. As far as i am aware it hasn't been tested at law.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
I wonder if FGW will go all out and, with the few regional/local services that are running in the west, lengthen these services as much as they can. A three carriage 158 or a two carriage 150 working alone on a 'one every two hours' service around Bristol sounds like an absolute nightmare. Eek.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The last few posts have been on-topic but we did have some off-topic posts earlier.

So, just a reminder that this thread is about FGW contingency in the event of industrial action 8th-11th July 2015 and not about the merits of the industrial action.

If anyone wishes to discuss the merits of the dispute, you are welcome to do so but please use the thread FGW Driver Only Operated Trains (DOO) discussion instead. Thanks :)

infobleep

Veteran Member
I wonder if FGW will go all out and, with the few regional/local services that are running in the west, lengthen these services as much as they can. A three carriage 158 or a two carriage 150 working alone on a 'one every two hours' service around Bristol sounds like an absolute nightmare. Eek.
But would running other coaches causes issues with maintenance. In fact how does the strike affect maintenance? Do they just extend by a day.

hulabaloo

Hoping to travel to Cardiff with my First Advance on Thursday afternoon. Is it likely I will have to stand now as first class will be declassified? If so I'll drive and get the refund offered.

alb1

ATW have stated on twitter a couple of times that they're trying to work some extra services/capacity between Cardiff and Swansea to make up the lack of HSTs. I believe they're still working on things though so can't confirm exactly what they'll have in place.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Just looking at the service that will be provided between Bath and Bristol in the morning and evening peaks and I really am not looking forward to the next two days. I may just get the bus tbh! (Especially as I actually go from Oldfield Park to Keynsham so have even less of a service, will just be two morning peak services and one evening peak service on the return!)

D1009

Established Member
ATW have stated on twitter a couple of times that they're trying to work some extra services/capacity between Cardiff and Swansea to make up the lack of HSTs. I believe they're still working on things though so can't confirm exactly what they'll have in place.
It also says that on the FGW strike website, but the obvious question is from where would they get the stock? I wonder whether they could use FGW units made spare by the strike?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It also says that on the FGW strike website, but the obvious question is from where would they get the stock? I wonder whether they could use FGW units made spare by the strike?

They will probably strengthen what they can (175 services excepted due to non compatability coupling with anything else) depending what is available on the day.

initiation

I'l hoping on joining a London bound HST which starts at 0707 in Taunton as it steam through North Somerset. Only going to Bristol but expect it to be busy.

Could join the train an hour earlier as that one only starts at Weston so is likely to be quiter but the thought of a 6:15am alarm doesn't attract me...

I'll update on the service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW are running additional DMUs between Cardiff and Swansea with 2 sets in use. Actual formations not known Details of trains can be found on Real Time Trains.

alb1

I believe ATW are using whatever they can get their hands on at the moment. I really struggled to get to Cardiff this morning and we were leaving people on the platforms. The 175 was terminated at Cardiff rather than Manchester so that it could go back to Swansea.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I believe ATW are using whatever they can get their hands on at the moment. I really struggled to get to Cardiff this morning and we were leaving people on the platforms. The 175 was terminated at Cardiff rather than Manchester so that it could go back to Swansea.
Would ATW get fined for terminating short, even though they are trying to help passengers stuck due to the strike on FGW.

onein37

Am booked on last train from Cardiff to Portsmouth this Friday which is now disjointed replacements. Are SWT accepting tickets onwards from Salisbury? Am abit concerned that connections won't get held on the Salisbury line as a little tight. Also instead could I change at Reading for either Guildford or Basingstoke, then SWT to Portsmouth? Would this be acceptable with my ticket? It's only 2 changes with better connection times.

adamt958

Have had to travel from Bridgend - Swansea, Swansea - Bridgend, Bridgend - Cardiff Central & Cardiff Central - Llwnypia today because of different commitments and its a nightmare.

Arriva using two class 150/2 units shuttling between Cardiff Central & Swansea which were both rammed earlier today as well as being currently stood up on a 175-2-Car Unit.

Perhaps it would have made more sense to use the WAG-67 & MK3s to shuttle between Cardiff and Swansea and form the two 150/2s to form a 4 car unit. Perhaps wouldn't struggle as much but there would still be soemthing needed for the WAG train then. Use a 175 perhaps ?

Rapidash

I can happily report that I had the easiest commute known to man today, by Devon Metro standards anyway.

x2 150's up and down, pro'er jarb! Seats for everyone!

If that's what I can expect as the norm in the near future, i'll be chuffed.

Lots of, uh, "volunteers" at Exeter and Paignton stations, not sure why as most of the regular staff seemed to be present and working.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Have had to travel from Bridgend - Swansea, Swansea - Bridgend, Bridgend - Cardiff Central & Cardiff Central - Llwnypia today because of different commitments and its a nightmare.

Arriva using two class 150/2 units shuttling between Cardiff Central & Swansea which were both rammed earlier today as well as being currently stood up on a 175-2-Car Unit.

Perhaps it would have made more sense to use the WAG-67 & MK3s to shuttle between Cardiff and Swansea and form the two 150/2s to form a 4 car unit. Perhaps wouldn't struggle as much but there would still be soemthing needed for the WAG train then. Use a 175 perhaps ?

Have you considered Traction knowledge re the WAG? It is worked by Shrewsbury Guards who do not know between Cardiff and Swansea. Also where would the 175 come from to cover for it ? ATW are doing a good job under the circumstances to cover for the lack of FGW trains. Could you imagine all TOCs doing this.

Bellbell

Have you considered Traction knowledge re the WAG? It is worked by Shrewsbury Guards who do not know between Cardiff and Swansea. Also where would the 175 come from to cover for it ? ATW are doing a good job under the circumstances to cover for the lack of FGW trains. Could you imagine all TOCs doing this.

Exactly. I know the actions of TOCs can sometimes seem odd but they're usually based on sound reasoning!

Off topic i know but i was on the heart of wales the other day when the 153 coming up from Swansea failed, resulting in a bit of a palaver at Llandrindod Wells with peeved passengers, shunting etc. One peeved passenger said to the guard while they waited for the failing unit to struggle in that he couldn't understand why 'they' didn't run a 'diesel' down to rescue the failed train and drag it to shrewsbury, allowing the other unit to continue south. The guard did an admirable job of keeping a straight face :lol: That was a fine example of passengers not being quite aware of the inner workings of the railway!

Status
Not open for further replies.