• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW HST Trailer 42507

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hi all,

I came across the above MK3 trailer this afternoon, 42507 running as Coach E. It was nice and shiny, clean bogies and all, but what caught my eye was the lack of toilet windows at both ends. Is this a recent conversion (ex buffet stock) or does it have a tale to tell?! Also of minor interest, it had running numbers in what appeared to be a newer, bolder font than than the usual.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ian13

Your guess is right - part of the conversion at Kilmarnock works from former buffet cars. Another distinctive marker of them is blue roofs...

BestWestern

Established Member
Your guess is right - part of the conversion at Kilmarnock works from former buffet cars. Another distinctive marker of them is blue roofs...

I must confess that I hadn't noticed that!

fgwrich

Established Member
Hi all,

I came across the above MK3 trailer this afternoon, 42507 running as Coach E. It was nice and shiny, clean bogies and all, but what caught my eye was the lack of toilet windows at both ends. Is this a recent conversion (ex buffet stock) or does it have a tale to tell?! Also of minor interest, it had running numbers in what appeared to be a newer, bolder font than than the usual.

Yep, 42507 is one of the converted ex Buffet Cars, Formerly TRFB 40209. The best ways to identify the ex buffet conversions are the bolder number font, shinier external condition, underframe Air Con module layout, the areas on the roof where the catering vent's have been removed, slightly different sides with only 1 toilet window (former staff toilet) and probably better condition vestibule / interior of each Mk3.

There's a few details on Taunton Trains about which coaches have been converted, and you might find some of these pictures rather interesting.

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/Coaching...425xx/23823288_hXdjck#!i=2065946680&k=xVCjXJr

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Yep, 42507 is one of the converted ex Buffet Cars, Formerly TRFB 40209. The best ways to identify the ex buffet conversions are the bolder number font, shinier external condition, underframe Air Con module layout, the areas on the roof where the catering vent's have been removed, slightly different sides with only 1 toilet window (former staff toilet) and probably better condition vestibule / interior of each Mk3.

There's a few details on Taunton Trains about which coaches have been converted, and you might find some of these pictures rather interesting.

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/Coaching...425xx/23823288_hXdjck#!i=2065946680&k=xVCjXJr

And no flying Fs on the seat backs!

I wander if that high density cattle truck seating is what they have in mind for the west coast !

Skimble19

Established Member
^Oh that didn't take long. :roll:
And no flying Fs on the seat backs!

Are you sure about that? Having put the photo on full size there's certainly an outline of an f, but the picture isn't clear enough to say for sure..

Royston Vasey

Established Member
^Oh that didn't take long. :roll:

Are you sure about that? Having put the photo on full size there's certainly an outline of an f, but the picture isn't clear enough to say for sure..

I think you're right actually, the resolution is deceptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.