• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW or XC catering roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy_in_wales

Hi all
I use to work for InterCity On Board svs, and Traveller's Fare ex Euston in the early 1980's as steward/Chief Steward. I left late 80's and started working for a major airline.

I know things have changed a lot over the last *coughs* years on the railways, but after 26 years of jetting around I'd like to come back to the railways.

I have seen 2 jobs which are of course called something different to the old days but gather they are basically the same. I obviously have lots more experience than the college kid who started working out of Euston station.

I'm interested in FGW based at Bristol as a Customer Host, and XC Retail Manager, again based at Bristol.
Could any one give me any info re shift patterns, overtime(?) and the pros and cons of each employer? Do you still work a set "circuit number over a duration or all is it now flexible rosters?
Being colour blind, Train Manager is out.. though oddly I can see colour (red n green) its just those dots!!
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not sure about XC, but a FGW customer host is responsible for both an at seat trolley service in First Class and the buffet car.

Bristol Customer Hosts, 99% of the time, go to London Paddington during their working day. Getting there or getting back is a little more mixed, involving the Cotswolds line, Cardiff - London, Bristol - London via Box, the Stroud Valley and the B&H. You will also work the WSM/TAU HST stoppers too.

There is both an early link or a late link at Bristol, so the choice is yours. Early shifts start as early as 03:00 and late shifts finish as late as 01:30.

trolleyman

XC "RSMS" at Bristol work 4 day weeks of which Sunday is part of. Earliest start is just after 0600 for the 0627 north and latest finish of 2115. Mainly Manchester work with a couple of jobs to Plymouth or Leeds.
When spare could be sent anywhere from Bournemouth to Bitmingham via Reading (involving passing to Southampton on a FGW service then a SWT) to working up to Newcastle.

guy_in_wales

Cheers for the replies.

BR had 1st and standard class trolleys back then too out of Euston. Usually when an "RUB" was in the formation. We still had 1600 and 1800 restaurant cars running about.

On the XC HST's are there still buffet cars or is that now all trolleys?

Last edited:

trolleyman

Still trolleys I'm afraid on the HSTS!

Bristol crew however rarely work them, think it's only Sunday they have rosetted work

falcon

Just to let you know chief.They don't prepare the sarnies on board now and there is CCTV in all coaches on most trains including the counter area and you will have an electronic point of sale machine issuing receipts to every customer.There is no rubbish to collect from down the train anymore,the cleaners do it.:roll:
Don't think you will be going back to what you left.;)

guy_in_wales

thanks Falcon... all that was fading out as I left, and pleased its stopped to be truthful.

All companies have nipped those kinda tricks in the bud.

If I am successful in what I've applied for, it would be very nice indeed, if those electric sales machines at the touch of button prints me off my sales sheets and all I have to is correspond paperwork plus takings and pay it in.
Just like a duty free sales machine I use now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.