• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Passengers To Strike Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
There appear to be some rather odd attitudes creeping into the responses given by DfT and FGW spokespersons to press questions regarding the problems in the West Country.

Friday night on the local TV news, a minsitry spokesman (can't remember who) was basically praising FGW for the way they were handling the situation while at the same time completly washing his hands of all responsibility, stating FGW set the timetable, decide on number of carriages and has the freedom to lease more carriages.

Tonight, the FGW spokesman (Andy Griffith?) claimed things have improved (which, in all honesty they seem to have a little) and will keep on improving, citing increased number of carriages on trains etc. However, he also stated that peak overcrowding is experienced everywhere else and that is is considered both normal and acceptable!

Reading between the lines, my impressions are that DfT simply aren't interested (as long as they get their cash) and that FGW are not bothered about running over-full trains carrying that are, after all, carrying one of their main sources of income, i.e. commuters.

These attitudes do seem odd to me; there is clearly demand for these services yet neither DFT nor the TOC are prepared to do anything about it. Surely this conflicts with other government policies and ideals (Kyoto, Stern, modal shift etc). No wonder there is global warming, too much hot air about....

On a more positive note, on Thursday, the day of the storms, I was forced to take the train to work at Westbury due to failure of the bike. Although the 153 I was travelling on broke down, resulting in a journey time of over 1 hour for a 6 mile journey, the guard's treatment of the passengers was fantastic, keeping us fully informed, checking onward connections and even offering refreshments from what I assume was his own lunch box. With customer service like that, it was almost a pleasure being late for work!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apparently an FGW memo went around telling conductors to ignore the fake tickets, and the barriers at BTM were left open.
There were probably a lot more who went undetected then.

Probably a good move by Farce for 2 reasons
1) Avoided confrontation
2) Avoided bad publicity (and they were able to come up with the "only 1 person" figure, which has even fooled Mr Memorex into thinking only 1 person "took part", so Farce will consider it a victory for them, in their crazy way of thinking ;))

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The barriers were not left open. The people on the side entrances were waving all people through who had the fake tickets.

g4mby

I bet most of those had season tickets anyway, so still paid even though they may not have shown their ticket.

I hope that people don't think that it's only the Bath to Bristol commuters in this area that are suffering still, they are just the most vocal. I was on tonights 1644 Temple Meads to Cheltenham Spa which was operated by a Class 143. The overcrowding on leaving Bristol Parkway was worse than on any of the trains that I saw on any of tonights news programmes covering this story.
And again tonight!

I think that Bristol Parkway, Yate and Cam & Dursley passengers ought to mount a similar campaign to those in the Bath area as tonight's train was packed to a dangerous level. If there had been an accident or even if the driver had had to make an emergency stop at least a dozen passengers could have been thrown onto the three or four bicycles at my end of the train with many other passengers falling on top of them. I can't believe that FGW or the DfT think that this is a civilized and safe way to travel. I feel so strongly about the safety issue here that my e-mail of complaint to FGW will be copied to my local MP and anyone else that I can think of when I send it later tonight.

Meanwhile a 3-car Class 158 was idle at Temple Meads. Not even operating on the CDF-PMH route as intended where 2-car sets seem to be in action today! Out of action or spare I wonder?

[Edit: E-mail also sent to senior FGW staff, my local MP and No. 10!]

Nat the Ned

Overcrowding is dangerous? Nah! Well, not according to Bill Emery!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007030820,00.html

Overcrowding may not be dangerous in a collision (though I still find that hard to believe), but what about a fire?? Or what if someone needs urgent medical attention? In my opinion if the guard cannot physically get through the train it shouldnt be moving. What if the guard or driver needed to get to the emergency equipment cupboard? Or also amusing is when the driver needs to get out the cab to use a signal post telephone on the likes of a class 153 or 158 when the front vestible has 765 people standing in it... There should be rulings on overcrowding. Bill Emery obvioulsy has large parts of his brain missing.

Dennis

Established Member
Just how many collisions or fires are there on trains anyway? Not deprecaating any safety concerns but I just want to put my backside on a seat, preferably with a table to put my coffee or beer on.

Status
Not open for further replies.