• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW sleeper service

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Looking at Realtime Trains website earlier, the 2345 Paddington to Penzance night train goes via Bedwyn and Pewsey, then via Trowbridge, Bath, Bristol and down to Taunton that way.

Is this normal or just down to the bad floods on the Somerset Levels?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
You mean the Night Riviera, Cornish Riviera is a daytime service.

The sleeper can divert via any route depending on engineering works - chances are it was already booked that way because of engineering works of some sort between Westbury and Taunton.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Has anyone ever used this? If so, how does it compare to the Caledonian Sleepers?

I've noticed it goes via the Bedwyn line and then goes north via Bath and Bristol. Why doesn't it just continue via Castle Cary?

Also I see from Realtime Trains that this service stops at Exeter St Davids and Plymouth for 45 and 30 minutes respectively. Is this purely to stretch the time out?

Finally, I followed this train on the above website in the early hours of this morning and it left at 01:36 instead of 23:45! Is this common and what happens to the waiting passengers as I'm sure all facilities at Paddington will have closed by then?

Thanks in advance.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I believe it goes via whichever route Network Rail choose, so it can take a variety of routes between Reading and Taunton

anti-pacer

Established Member
I believe it goes via whichever route Network Rail choose, so it can take a variety of routes between Reading and Taunton

It was scheduled to go via Bedwyn, Bath and Bristol last night but I think due to the late running it went via Swindon.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Is this common and what happens to the waiting passengers as I'm sure all facilities at Paddington will have closed by then?

Thanks in advance.

I'd have thought they would be have been already onboard the train.

David Goddard

Established Member
The intended route from Reading is via the Berks and Hants direct to Taunton, but as we all know there can be engineering works at night and so there is sufficient slack in the timetable to permit diversions via any combination of Swindon, Bath and Bristol or even Honiton should the need arise. This also fits around crewing requirements, as well as creating a mildly sociable arrival in Cornwall the following morning.
The extended waits at Exeter and Plymouth then allow for on-time running to resume. Summer 2012 there was also a short (about 20 mins) wait at Taunton.
The current timetable has an hour at Exeter then a further half at Plymouth. Monday mornings sees (broadly) a further 30 mins at each. Up trains do not have this wait, but there is plenty of slack up to Reading, and then into London (total allowance from EXD of four hours)

Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
Up trains do not have this wait, but there is plenty of slack up to Reading, and then into London (total allowance from EXD of four hours)
Looking at the WTT I see that except on Monday mornings the up service is booked to run via Hullavington and includes a staff only call at Swindon. On Monday mornings the WTT shows the service running via Chippenham and including the staff only call at Swindon except between 17/02/2014 and 24/03/2014 when it runs via Castle Cary and Newbury.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Also I see from Realtime Trains that this service stops at Exeter St Davids and Plymouth for 45 and 30 minutes respectively. Is this purely to stretch the time out?

Partially that but also to allow for engineering works without messing the timetable around too much. Even then it's not uncommon to see it sit at Plymouth for an hour or more even!

Personally I think it's very good and it's standard class throughout with no sharing.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Often when the Sleeper starts late it can recover literally hours due to the flexibility in routing.

Eagle

Established Member
The intended route from Reading is via the Berks and Hants direct to Taunton, but as we all know there can be engineering works at night and so there is sufficient slack in the timetable to permit diversions via any combination of Swindon, Bath and Bristol or even Honiton should the need arise.

Via Bristol Parkway is another common one. Also it sometimes takes the Weston loop if it's in that area.

455driver

Veteran Member
The sleepers are timed to allow them to take the most convoluted route possible (due to overnight engineering work closing certain lines) and still be on time at Reading, Paddington, Plymouth and Penzance.

If a shorter route is available then they will take it.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Does anyone know what the 110 minute delay was due to last night on the 23:45 Paddington-Penzance?

TEW

Established Member
It's the new cab to signaller radio system.

timbo58

It always had loads of slack in the timetable when it ran Waterloo-Pz too with crew change at BTM.
Happy days :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Has anyone ever used this? If so, how does it compare to the Caledonian Sleepers?

I've used both services a few times; there are plus points for each.

Riviera - no sharing.

Caledonian - better bedding - still uses proper blankets ( Riviera has gone over to duvets.... horrible things; impossible to tuck in, come loose at the sides and get tangled up round your feet!

causton

Established Member
I've been on the seated Riviera and the Caledonian berth a few times now. Can't wait for my trip to the South West where I'll have a berth with Volo! I think the breakfast is better as standard on the Riviera isn't it?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've been on the seated Riviera and the Caledonian berth a few times now. Can't wait for my trip to the South West where I'll have a berth with Volo! I think the breakfast is better as standard on the Riviera isn't it?

No idea - I always buy a big breakfast on arrival after a Sleeper journey! Either from a nearby hotel in Scotland or from the café just outside the station at Penzance.

VisualAcid

With the GWML basically outside my bedroom window in the Bath area I've been wondering what this was! Looked like a 158 in the dark with no trailing loco.

class57basher

The routing can not only be dictated by engineering works, but also due to crew route refreshing. Especially via Honiton (occassionally seen on the odd Sunday Night when there is no Taunton stop on the up beds and also via Bristol Parkway.

A very good service even when seated especially if you can get the unlit coach A where you get more sleep. Usally midweek best for travelling seated as less passengers and can spread out more

breadfan

I'd never used a berth on a sleeper service until September when I had a Euston-Inverness run one week and a Penzance-Paddington the following week.

I was so impressed with the Caley sleeper experience (I should state that I travelled 1st class) from boarding, relaxing with a drink in the lounge car, washing kit etc in the cabin, getting a good sleep in the cabin (which was not as cramped as I was expecting) through to the tiny cooked breakfast. I was hoping to wake up at Perth but overslept, so no problem with being disturbed there.

Perhaps I enjoyed it too much as I was quite dissappointed with the Night Riviera. The welcome on board was as good, as was the lounge car. But I found that the amount of stops it made early in the journey disturbing when trying to sleep. Further disturbance with people joining/leaving at Plymouth/Exeter/Reading. The bacon butty was poor- small baguette with a miserly amount of bacon, so it was off to the 1st Class lounge on arrival at Paddington to try and fill up on fruit.

It's not that I wouldn't use the service in future, but it didn't impress the way the Caley sleeper did.

Both journeys were midweek.

TEW

Established Member
I think the FGW sleeper is much better value for money. From £49 you get your own berth, Volo TV, free drinks and snacks in the Lounge Car in the evening, free breakfast and access to the First Class Lounge at Paddington.

VisualAcid

How do these people get any sleep? The loco has woken me up twice a night every week now :(

WelshBluebird

Established Member
How do these people get any sleep? The loco has woken me up twice a night every week now :(

How close to the line do you live?
In my final year at university last year I lived just by Oldfield Park station in Bath on the GWML and the noise from the line never used to bother me.

VisualAcid

How close to the line do you live?
In my final year at university last year I lived just by Oldfield Park station in Bath on the GWML and the noise from the line never used to bother me.

I live there exactly :lol:. HST's and DMU's are fine, the loco hauled trains are pretty loud however.

Status
Not open for further replies.