• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Sleeper Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nat the Ned

What i'd really like to know, with respect to The Sprog, is how SWT and various other TOC's survived on 2 or 3 liveries for they're inherited stock, yet FGW in they're various formats, have about 25 liveries when there is surely more important things to spend the money on :?:

God no!! Who cares if FGW's performance stats are complete rubbish and the service to passengers falls around their feet daily... Corporate image is everything!! It does make you wonder.............

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
National Express Group & Stagecoach (to a lesser extent - *most* local bus services have "Stagecoach" on them) manage to operate their bus and train services as a separate identity without continual plastering of their name over them, and it doesn't seem to affect their share price or anything.

Infact, I can see First's branding as being detrimental to them, as soon as some people (including myself) see First logos on something, I immediately think "low quality, overpriced, etc" regardless of this subsiduary's actual performance.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Idiots like pretty trains.
You have a few people just going out for the day and imagine they see a cheap Northern train and an overpriced, but bloody good looking FGW train.
What are they gonna get on?
(I do realise that's probably never gonna happen with NR and FGW. But you get the point this way)

Sprog

Established Member
Its all about corprate brand.

Im not really sure why First insists on constantly re-branding, but at the end of the day, alot of FGWs recent problems genuinly have been because of either Network Rail or 'acts of god'/..stuff that couldnt be helped such as suicides and lightening strikes.

For example, we had to hire a voyager of VXC the other day because of an incident involving some stalled trains on a section of line in Cornwall which resulted in severe flats on an HST and a couple of other trains. The set was trapped at Kernow for most of the day, rock bottoming relaibity/puncuality figures for that day. Im told that the affected set has such bad damage to one of the power cars wheelsets, that it will have to (or has had to) leave Penzance by road transport. Square wheels anyone?

Oh, and the reason you ask...?

Our 'beloved' infrastructure provider forgot to treat a section of line.

Also, our HST's are much improved in the latest 'National Fleet Improvement Programme Figures' after the spate of recent failiures.

Sprog

Established Member
...Why First are bothering to repaint these in Barbie livery is beyond me........

The powercars are repainted as part of an 'F' exam at Laira. This has always been the case. Work on Valenta powercars doesnt just stop because powercars are being re-engined with MTUs! Some have gotta last out until late next year before they are all done.

I would assume that:

1)) First proably have a large stock of pink/purple paint, so why the heck not use it!
2) They want to maintain a smart image, regardless of which genration of livery it is
3) I dont reckon that First want their 'new' image on smokey, noisey old Valentas.

Also, when the HST fleet was initally painted from 'Fag packet' to Barbie, certain powercars where rushed because Moir Lockheed visited at one point and was abit shocked and irritated that half his HST fleet was still ruinning around in Green at that point.

As a result, we got abit of a kick up the arse from Aberdeen and hence, some powercars where 'rushed' through, and only given quick paint (If lucky) or vynl jobs.

Theres still a few of these poorly stickered P/Cs about, cant remember specific numbers, but look for the seams on the bodysides/cabs!

So the thinking is that either these P/Cs will get an 'F' and a nice shiney new paint job, or get towed up to Brush for MTUing. Either way suits.

metrocammel

Idiots like pretty trains.
You have a few people just going out for the day and imagine they see a cheap Northern train and an overpriced, but bloody good looking FGW train.
What are they gonna get on?
(I do realise that's probably never gonna happen with NR and FGW. But you get the point this way)

Not neccesarily, if the Northern train offers considerably cheaper fare (say an imaginary rte Northern Rail fare) but took longer, but the person travelling was not in a hurry, I dont think just because the alternative fGW HST is in shiny Barbie livery they will decide to pay £££ extra...
In fact, most people will not even notice what train they get on, it is just a carriage with seats. Lots dont even know how to use the doors (especially on HST's!) and also, when you book your ticket you dont know what the train will be.

TheSlash

Established Member

If our beloved TOC used proper trains with proper sanders, the Infrastructure operator wouldn't have to worry about treating rails :glasses5: ;)

Gizmogle

Established Member
Not neccesarily, if the Northern train offers considerably cheaper fare (say an imaginary rte Northern Rail fare) but took longer, but the person travelling was not in a hurry, I dont think just because the alternative fGW HST is in shiny Barbie livery they will decide to pay £££ extra...
In fact, most people will not even notice what train they get on, it is just a carriage with seats. Lots dont even know how to use the doors (especially on HST's!) and also, when you book your ticket you dont know what the train will be.

Yeah, I was thinking about that after my post.
Like, how crappy Ryanair are, but people just go with them cause they're cheap.
Hmmm, I dunno. I know alot of people who would rather get on a good looking train than a cheap train though.
But I guess, if I didn't have my pass, I'd probably go with the cheap option...
Also, people that can't open the doors on HSTs are bloody hilarious! I saw a woman just standing there waiting for the door to open and she missed her stop cause she just stood there for ages! Haha!

Nat the Ned

Im told that the affected set has such bad damage to one of the power cars wheelsets, that it will have to (or has had to) leave Penzance by road transport. Square wheels anyone?

Oh, and the reason you ask...?

Also, our HST's are much improved in the latest 'National Fleet Improvement Programme Figures' after the spate of recent failiures.

43162 loaded onto a lorry today. The section of line on question (Bodmin to Penzance) wasnt treated as the Treatment Train was the other side of the Bodmin/Liskeard blockade in order to treat the Devon banks...

Railhead conditions causing chaos today, with the wet and windy weather, delays went sky high.

Status
Not open for further replies.