• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW West timetable changes from 18th May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
I see from 18th May, FGW West unit working changes mean a gain of 1 x 143 & 1 x 153 at Exeter and a gain of 1 x 150/2 & loss of 1 x 150/1 at St Phillip's Marsh.

I assume this is just "a shuffle about" of units and diagrams between depots rather than a transfer of units in or out of the fleet?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
As all the FGW 143s are based at Exeter anyway how can they gain an extra one?
Also where is the 153 coming from?
Are these just 2 more examples of sweating the assets?

The 150 swap is just a paper exercise and is probably to increase seats on a service or 2 by using the higher seating capacity /1 instead of the much more comfortable (but lower seating capacity) /2.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
455driver:- I am unsure as to what this all means hence my posting but this is accurate information.

The only other 143 operator is Arriva AFAIK, perhaps it is unlikely but are they giving one up?!

IF this is the case can they decide where it goes or does the DFT or leasing company have a say?

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
It must just be a case of sweating the assets. I believe 6 out of 8 143s are diagrammed on Mondays-Fridays at the moment. Diagramming 7 seems ambitious.

455driver

Veteran Member
It must just be a case of sweating the assets. I believe 6 out of 8 143s are diagrammed on Mondays-Fridays at the moment. Diagramming 7 seems ambitious.

Diagramming 7 out of 8 seems f+++++g stupid to me! :shock:
They are not the youngest trains on the network.

TEW

Established Member
Indeed, and they seem to have trouble getting 6 unit in to traffic at times. The fact that units have to go to St Phillips Marsh for tyre turning can't help as that puts units out of action for a couple of days when the move up there is included. Should be less of an issue in the Summer though.

83G/84D

Established Member

I did not realise only 6 out of 8 143's are used at the moment.

Given that there are nearly always failures and short formed trains in Devon & Cornwall one wonders if this is wise move as you say.

TEW

Established Member
It doesn't seem to just be Devon and Cornwall. Short formations are a daily occurrence around Bristol too. It's all well and good diagramming more units in service but it does seem that the fleet is just being diagrammed too tightly. Would it not be better to diagram less units if it meant services would have the normal number of coaches every day.

A service which is a 150/1 one day could be a 150/2 the next day so there is no change at all really! Our diagrams don't differentiate at all other than when we have a 150/9 unit.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
When there is a demand for additional units during the Summer, FGW do a rescheduling of the major Examinations to try and avoid this period to enable the increase in availability

Rapidash

Considering how...ropey the 143's have been recently, I would say they need a cold shower instead of sweating more. Could we swap empty with Northerns 144s? :lol:

sonic2009

Established Member
Have FGW completed major exams if any were due on units that were stuck the other side of Dawlish?

Rapidash

Well, I'm not entirely sure if its down to the timetable changes, broken units, lack of drivers or a plague of ferrets, but the 17:18 from EXC has been repeatedly a single 143 the last two weeks, which has been crushloaded to Teignmouth and standing from Newton Abbot on all the occasions I've used it recently. Watching the 153's frolicking care-free at the Depot was a wonderful distraction.

The mild irony of a Ribena Girl handing out 'Station News' with the headline 'Thousands of Extra Seats on HST's!!!!!" at St Davids when standing next to our rather overfull Pacer was not lost on anyone. Especially when the middle doors gave up the ghost.

CC 72100

Established Member
Well, I'm not entirely sure if its down to the timetable changes, broken units, lack of drivers or a plague of ferrets, but the 17:18 from EXC has been repeatedly a single 143 the last two weeks, which has been crushloaded to Teignmouth and standing from Newton Abbot on all the occasions I've used it recently. Watching the 153's frolicking care-free at the Depot was a wonderful distraction.

Because all of the trains on the depot are blatantly spare capacity that they just don't want to use, surely? :lol::roll:

I will admit though, out of all the trains on Devon metro to be a single 143, that has to be one of the worst.

Rapidash

Because all of the trains on the depot are blatantly spare capacity that they just don't want to use, surely? :lol::roll:

I will admit though, out of all the trains on Devon metro to be a single 143, that has to be one of the worst.

I know full well they are probably being repaired/readied/cleaned/abducted;)

Normally I would put it down to a broken unit, but its being a bit too regular for that.

CC 72100

Established Member
I know full well they are probably being repaired/readied/cleaned/abducted;)
Normally I would put it down to a broken unit, but its being a bit too regular for that.

Knowing first hand how busy those services are, and how stretched the West fleet is at the best of times, a few longer-term maintenance problems are more than likely. FGW aren't stupid and I can't imagine them wanting that service to run with so few coaches either.

A side thought though - it doesn't have anything to do with the extra coach(es) being 'robbed' for use on the one train which is formed of 6 coaches (for the Torbay schools) does it?

TEW

Established Member
No. The extra 2 carriages attached to the school train then form the 1745 Exeter Central-Paignton. As it is half term this week anyway that strengthening won't be happening.

Rapidash

Talking of the West fleet - is there any chance of any cascades from areas being electrified a bit sooner than the Turbos making an appearance? Surely First are making some noise to the DFT about the state of the antique collection?

The 1655 Exmouth to Paignton service is booked for a single 143, and the full days diagram for the 143 unit is:

0606 Exeter to Exmouth
0645 Exmouth to Paignton
0823 Paignton to Exmouth (full and standing usually from TGM to EXD, travelled on this a few times)
0953 Exmouth to Barnstaple
1143 Barnstaple to Exmouth
1323 Exmouth to Paignton
1513 Paignton to Exmouth
1655 Exmouth to Paignton
1835 Paignton to Exeter
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No. The extra 2 carriages attached to the school train then form the 1745 Exeter Central-Paignton. As it is half term this week anyway that strengthening won't be happening.

Then form the 1852 Paignton to Bristol, 2156 Bristol to Exeter.

Rapidash

Good gods, they must be mad or desperate. :o It's not even Summer proper yet and this is happening? Cornwall doesn't need it's 150's right? :(

Where do those 153's end up then? Do they scoot up to Bristol or are they being checked over after being attached to Pacer all day?

Good gods, they must be mad or desperate. :o It's not even Summer proper yet and this is happening? Cornwall doesn't need it's 150's right? :(

Where do those 153's end up then? Do they scoot up to Bristol or are they being checked over after being attached to Pacer all day?

until 04/07/14

153s stabled overnight M-Th (Fri sees different stabling):

Exeter TMD = 7
Bristol St Philips = 2
Laira Plymouth = 2
Gloucester stn = 1
Westbury = 1

leaves the 1 spare unit.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
until 04/07/14

Exeter TMD = 7
Bristol St Philips = 2
Laira Plymouth = 2
Gloucester stn = 1
Westbury = 1

leaves the 1 spare unit.

Are there none at Penzance for the Falmouth or has it changed to 2 X 150s instead of 150 + 2x153. Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
until 04/07/14

Exeter TMD = 7
Bristol St Philips = 2
Laira Plymouth = 2
Gloucester stn = 1
Westbury = 1

leaves the 1 spare unit.

Are there not 2 at Penzance for the Falmouth any more or have the two cycles changed to 2 x 150s instead of 1 x 150 and 2 x 153

TEW

Established Member
Falmouth has gone over to 2x150 for now. 150s are better suited to the line than 153s but I imagine the 153s will be back before too long because otherwise it leaves the two Penzance crew depots with too little 153 work in the Winter.

Martin_1981

Talking of the West fleet - is there any chance of any cascades from areas being electrified a bit sooner than the Turbos making an appearance? Surely First are making some noise to the DFT about the state of the antique collection?

When was the last time the South West ever recieved brand new trains? Certainly not in the 13 years I've lived in Devon. The only ones I'm aware of are the XC Voyagers, though I wouldn't have thought these would count as they are not based in the SW. We always seem to get 2nd hand stock.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The West of England, Wales and the North of England are the poor relations and have to put up with other TOCs throw aways. London area gets the best of new stock.

Rapidash

When was the last time the South West ever recieved brand new trains? Certainly not in the 13 years I've lived in Devon. The only ones I'm aware of are the XC Voyagers, though I wouldn't have thought these would count as they are not based in the SW. We always seem to get 2nd hand stock.

A similar thought went through my mind when I saw that latest addition to the Overground was going to be getting new trains.

I just assume that as long as the Tories know the area is a safe bet come an election, then there is no need for bribery/incentives in the form of investment.

If Stagecoach can see the merit in getting new or mid-life bus fleets down here, I'm not sure what the issue is with the rail network. Different funding models, sure, but there must be a business case for something, what with the journey numbers constantly going up. Even the North gets more than us these days, a sure sign of the apocalypse.

......I'm being naive again, aren't I?:lol:

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Falmouth has gone over to 2x150 for now. 150s are better suited to the line than 153s but I imagine the 153s will be back before too long because otherwise it leaves the two Penzance crew depots with too little 153 work in the Winter.

Is that since the timetable change? As it was 1x150 and 2x153 when I was down there at the end of April, although it later became 1x153 as the ex LM unit decided not to play anymore.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
until 04/07/14

Exeter TMD = 7
Bristol St Philips = 2
Laira Plymouth = 2
Gloucester stn = 1
Westbury = 1

leaves the 1 spare unit.

Out of interest, what does the Gloucester 153 do. I was wondering if it was just a Standby as has been the habit there in the past. If so, how does it come and go ? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.