Film 'One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing' locomotive identify?

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by fv43576, 31 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fv43576

fv43576 Member

I have finish watch this film, I saw a part locomotive pass the level cross. I don't recognize that place with name Wooburn Green. I don't know if I am right is that record at Didcot railway center?
    I know the locomotive is GWR but not sure the type and the number if anyone know.

2. bolli

bolli Member

Wooburn Green is in Buckinghamshire and closed in 1970.

3. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

According to "Horton's Guide to Britain's Railways in Feature Films" the film, shot in 1975, was partly done at Marylebone using '4300' class 4-6-0 number 5322 and coaching stock from Didcot, but little can be seen of them. Other scenes were thought to have been shot at Didcot itself; Horton cannot be certain about this, it seems.

4. 341o2

341o2 Member

there are two railway sequences in this film, firstly the arrival in London as per the Marylebone sequence (brief) then the dinosaur is loaded onto a steam wagon which manages to drive onto a flat wagon marshalled behind the guards van (yes,really), the locomotive appears to be a saddle tank bearing "GWR" passing over a level crossing

5. Bill EWS

Bill EWS Member

I remember that film being shot at Marylebone. I recall they had a mock-up train (Period coaches) built on Freightliner wagons, with a western steam loco on the front. It was not fired up but an 08 shunted the train from behind as directed and they had a steam generator of some sort on the steam loco to make it look as if it was fully working.

6. slilley

slilley Member

It was 5322 used. Railway Magazine as I recall had pictures of the filming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.