• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filming at Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Established Member
Platforms 0 and 1 have been blocked off the past few days to allow for filming by Warner Bros. It's involved stock from the Bluebell Railway - judging by the stock and costumes I've seen, it looks like the time period for these particular scenes is WWI.

One person has suggested it's part of JK Rowling's new 'Fantastic beasts and where to find them' movie. Any ideas?

In addition, I went to get a few photos of the train between my own workings. I was in full (TOC) uniform when a bod in a hi-vis asked me if I had a valid ticket for travel. I politely explained that I worked for a TOC, which I named. He asked if I was getting on a train, I explained that I would be - as I worked for a TOC at this station. He asked a third time, at which I showed him my ID card, and explained that I was at work and I would be taking a few pictures. He wasn't chuffed, but he left me alone to try the same charade with passengers.

Anyone else had this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am told it is for the new Harry Potter prequel, whatever that is. I have seen pictures on Flickr of a couple of small, boxy, wheeled carriages and an early southern kettle effort in green.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
SECR C Class No. 592, I believe. At least Warner Bros. didn't want to repaint as they did the Hall! :P

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am told it is for the new Harry Potter prequel, whatever that is. I have seen pictures on Flickr of a couple of small, boxy, wheeled carriages and an early southern kettle effort in green.

It is usual for "security" thugs employed by filming companies to attempt to prohibit people going about their normal business claiming they have authority to do so. As the station is private property, of course, they may have had the TOC/Network Rail agree to this. However if the TOC/Network Rail has not agreed to it, they have no right to stop you.

westv

Established Member
In addition, I went to get a few photos of the train between my own workings. I was in full (TOC) uniform when a bod in a hi-vis asked me if I had a valid ticket for travel. I politely explained that I worked for a TOC, which I named. He asked if I was getting on a train, I explained that I would be - as I worked for a TOC at this station. He asked a third time, at which I showed him my ID card, and explained that I was at work and I would be taking a few pictures. He wasn't chuffed, but he left me alone to try the same charade with passengers.

Anyone else had this?

Sounds like a right jobsworth!

sprinterguy

Established Member
One person has suggested it's part of JK Rowling's new 'Fantastic beasts and where to find them' movie. Any ideas?
This is confirmed in the following article:
http://locoyard.com/2016/02/06/the-new-hogwarts-express/
...the Bluebell Railway’s SECR C Class is at Kings Cross under hire for Warner Brothers for the filming of Fantastic Creatures and Where To Find Them. It makes sense for them to use the C Class given that its older than the Hall (only 25 years mind) which will make it easier to show on screen the difference in time between this movie and the original series. The C Class was towed by a Class 20 from the Bluebell late last night to begin filming duties at Kings Cross...

Deepgreen

Established Member
Platforms 0 and 1 have been blocked off the past few days to allow for filming by Warner Bros. It's involved stock from the Bluebell Railway - judging by the stock and costumes I've seen, it looks like the time period for these particular scenes is WWI.

Anyone else had this?

Who did HE work for? Hi-vis jackets of themselves bear no authority - anyone can wear one. I probably would have asked him for ID, etc., before explaining the regime for taking photos on stations (without flash or tripod, etc., and for personal use) backed up with a copy of the guidance note from BTP which essentially says it is OK (I think I still have a copy somewhere in my bag for just such occasions). If NR did not see fit to insist on/permit the provision of hoardings to stop photography, then the normal regime applies.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
If it had been me in that position, I would have conducted an "on the spot" revenue check and asked to see his ticket or pass

DarloRich

Veteran Member
some of you don't half get your knickers in a twist! ;)

I am sure the guy was employed as a security guard by the production company and was trying to do his job, no doubt without a brief on the environment he was working in. it is private property that a filming company have booked to try and do their job within the allotted time. They can keep you out if they like just as they could at a country house or other location. They are also trying to prevent plot spoilers from getting out before production is complete or uncontrolled pictures leaking to the press

Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member

I am sure the guy was employed as a security guard by the production company and was trying to do his job, no doubt without a brief on the environment he was working in. it is private property that a filming company have booked to try and do their job within the allotted time. They can keep you out if they like just as they could at a country house or other location. They are also trying to prevent plot spoilers from getting out before production is complete or uncontrolled pictures leaking to the press

That didn't go well. My Facebook is full of pictures :lol:

Deepgreen

Established Member

They may be able to "keep you out" of the actual set area, but cannot necessarily stop you taking photos from other areas, as they are unlikely to have any jurisdiction there. There is very unlikely to be any 'plot spoiling' possible from a few photos from a distance of a film set, unless the entire raison d'etre of the film is that there is a train involved! In any case, his job would no doubt be far easier if he identified himself and stated his authority (if any). If he's been poorly-briefed, he's in the same boat as the 'security' guards that have appeared as platform assistants at busy stations around the network; none of which is the fault of those who use the stations for whatever purpose, photography included, which, as I mentioned, has been endorsed by the BTP and TOCs as not only harmless but actually potentially useful as an extra informal security resource.

Saying that others "don't half get your knickers in a twist" is more than a little ironic from this source!

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I am sure the guy was employed as a security guard by the production company and was trying to do his job, no doubt without a brief on the environment he was working in. it is private property that a filming company have booked to try and do their job within the allotted time. They can keep you out if they like just as they could at a country house or other location.

If, and only if, the property owner (Network Rail) or operator (NR or TOC) has agreed to that. It's quite possible they would not agree to that.

In a genuinely public place i.e. the street, they do not have that right at all, ever.

They are also trying to prevent plot spoilers from getting out before production is complete or uncontrolled pictures leaking to the press

I'm sure they are, but unfortunately for them they do not necessarily have a legal right to do so.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I was fortunate in my timing, as I was at Kings Cross on Saturday evening, Sunday morning and Sunday evening. Filming wasn't taking place at these times, so I think it was easier for me to blag my way onto platforms 2/3 to take pictures. If it's secrecy the film company are after, then I'm afraid that King's Cross is hardly the best location for that. :lol:

Here's a selection of pictures of the stock across the weekend.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I was at King's Cross around teatime on Saturday and there were no problems with photography - in fact one of the staff who had just despatched a train from platform 2 was busy engaging in conversation with people taking photos (who weren't just enthusiasts - members of the public seemed interested in seeing it too). Managed a few pics, there's one here.

Doesn't look like there was any issue taking pictures when the train arrived earlier on the Saturday either, judging by the photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/26310947@N03/sets/72157662038435963/

scotsman

Established Member
I was at King's Cross around teatime on Saturday and there were no problems with photography - in fact one of the staff who had just despatched a train from platform 2 was busy engaging in conversation with people taking photos (who weren't just enthusiasts - members of the public seemed interested in seeing it too). Managed a few pics, there's one here.

Doesn't look like there was any issue taking pictures when the train arrived earlier on the Saturday either, judging by the photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/26310947@N03/sets/72157662038435963/

Yeah, there staff from a few operators taking pics when I went up - the issue seemed to be wholly with the private security. Or, as I suspect, 'volunteer' runners posted there.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I was there about 11:10 Saturday, I walked straight onto platforms 2/3 without an issue. When I got up there, there was a group of people taking photos of a loco with a really sarcastic bod in a hivis vest from the production company it would seem… he was made things as awkward as possible for us but gave up in the end when he realised he wasn't getting anywhere. He was at first very insistent that we stood behind the 'yellow line' and any foot on the wrong side of it would have to be moved immediately… we soon pointed out that the platform was blocked and it was perfectly safe at that time! He stood back and left us to get on with it.

As I left after a few minutes, a BTP officer was walking up the platform towards the group, I'm not sure what happened then. There was another BTP officer preventing anybody else from making entry to the platform from the arrivals end. I nearly pointed out to the Dad and his child that the entrance via the bridge wasn't blocked but thought that may be a bad idea with BTP present, they'd only block that too.

I left in search of Tesco Metro and McDonalds before heading over to St Pancras for my connection!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 154

Deepgreen

Established Member
First visit of a SE&CR loco to KGX?

Certainly for a very, very long time. It's possible that some would have visited the York Road side with inter-regional/company freights in the dim and distant, but probably never to the terminus.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was there about 11:10 Saturday, I walked straight onto platforms 2/3 without an issue. When I got up there, there was a group of people taking photos of a loco with a really sarcastic bod in a hivis vest from the production company it would seem… he was made things as awkward as possible for us but gave up in the end when he realised he wasn't getting anywhere. He was at first very insistent that we stood behind the 'yellow line' and any foot on the wrong side of it would have to be moved immediately… we soon pointed out that the platform was blocked and it was perfectly safe at that time! He stood back and left us to get on with it.

As I left after a few minutes, a BTP officer was walking up the platform towards the group, I'm not sure what happened then. There was another BTP officer preventing anybody else from making entry to the platform from the arrivals end. I nearly pointed out to the Dad and his child that the entrance via the bridge wasn't blocked but thought that may be a bad idea with BTP present, they'd only block that too.

I left in search of Tesco Metro and McDonalds before heading over to St Pancras for my connection!

Nice shot - they are going to need to be careful not to have the brand new lifts and flat-bottom rail in the film! Probably the usual swathes of 'steam' will be used to blot out any inappropriate details.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I noticed that they'd covered up a lot of modern signage and even some of the on-platform signalling with vintage-style signs and props. At the north end of the platform was a sign advertising city trains, presumably referencing the old Moorgate line from York Road. I though that was nice touch. :)

scotsman

Established Member
I was there about 11:10 Saturday, I walked straight onto platforms 2/3 without an issue. When I got up there, there was a group of people taking photos of a loco with a really sarcastic bod in a hivis vest from the production company it would seem… he was made things as awkward as possible for us but gave up in the end when he realised he wasn't getting anywhere.

Brown beanie hat?

D1009

Established Member
As I left after a few minutes, a BTP officer was walking up the platform towards the group, I'm not sure what happened then.
If the film company felt the group of onlookers could be interfering with the filming in any way, they could legitimately ask the BTP to remove them.

scotsman

Established Member
Is that 1130 a.m? If so, four platforms (0 - 3) closed for filming at a major London terminus? Wow, what a lot of spare capacity we have!

Only 0 and 1 were closed. The 'security' were clearing platforms 2 and 3 between trains.

snowball

Established Member

That film is set mostly in New York in the 1920s, and some scenes have been filmed in Liverpool serving as New York. But I think the central character is originally English, so I suppose there could be scenes meant to be at Kings Cross before he leaves the country.

Not sure how they'll explain the overhead wires. CGI them out?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.