• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Films you've seen/film discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Again I foolishly believed my sister that a film she says is great is worth watching, so we watched Deadpool, apparently it's a X-Men spin-off but is nothing like it. It's full of non-funny jokes, swearing all the time in a poor attempt to be funny, disgusting scenes, etc. Also the main character doesn't really deserve respect so I don't know why we should care what happens to him, especially since he's incredibly annoying and rude. The super powers he has varies, sometimes he breaks his own hand by punching, yet other times a 100ft drop is harmless. The whole story is weak, he wants to kill someone who saved his life because he assumed his wife (Anna from V the reboot series) won't like him now his face is mildly disfigured. His power is that he heals fully... but not his face.
This film is a waste of time totally.
0/5

I saw Deadpool at the cinema a few months ago and I quite liked it. I found it quite funny and with a few bits of fourth wall breaking. I had thought that most of these kind of films are all the same but I think it is one of the best of these kind of films.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Star Trek Beyond is starting to be advertised, it's not real Star Trek so don't be expecting anything other than motorbikes and continuity errors.

I saw an advanced screening... Lets just say that I have been a Star Trek fan for 25 years and the scenes of them abandoning ship and the the ship crashing was gut wrenching

Note to mods: thats not a spoiler... The scenes I mentioned are in all three of the trailers

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The Last Passenger. A fairly predictable thriller with characters that seem designed to fit a mould - there's the single workaholic dad out with his son, the attractive single lady, the too-obvious-to-be-the-antagonist suspect. The plot doesn't really go anywhere at all but I feel its all the better for it. All the obstacles the characters overcome really get them no closer to their ultimate objective, and this makes their situation feel more and more hopeless as the film goes on.

I really felt there was excellent directing by Omid Nooshin and a very sinister soundtrack by Liam Bates that distracted from the predictability of it all. There's a great use of noise and motion in the exterior shots that really makes the train always feel seconds away from destruction. Interestingly this contrasts well with the rest of the film, as it takes place almost entirely within the train, giving it an intimate and almost claustrophobic feel.

It's also probably the only thriller that is set on the Hastings line - my old home line! Even if a preserved railway was used for the ending shots - I doubt Network Rail would have been happy to have a burning train career through St Leonards Warrior Square after all. But all the talk of the trains hitting the buffers at Hastings... hm, I don't think they did their research there.

Overall: 6/10. Enjoyable.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I saw an advanced screening... Lets just say that I have been a Star Trek fan for 25 years and the scenes of them abandoning ship and the the ship crashing was gut wrenching

Note to mods: thats not a spoiler... The scenes I mentioned are in all three of the trailers

I've heard the USS Franklin is somehow supposed to be from before Star Trek: Enterprise, not after, is there anything in the movie confirming the starship's build date?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I've heard the USS Franklin is somehow supposed to be from before Star Trek: Enterprise, not after, is there anything in the movie confirming the starship's build date?

There is a commissioning plaque on the bridge, but I could not get a good note of it.

However, the ship's top speed is only Warp 4, so it is certainly from before Enterprise. And she does share most of the general features of the Intrepid class seen in Enterprise

That is all I will say

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Earth Versus The Flying Saucers was on TV earlier, a 50s (B&W) movie with shocking destruction from the aliens, great film! 5/5

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Yesterday SyFy showed Independent's Day, not to be confused with Independence Day. It was about aliens (called Orions) and they demanded to all Humans be relocated to another planet!
A great and unique story for a low budget film, very enjoyable!
4.5/5

Today I saw Clockwise for the first time on GOLD.
It was nice to see Grimsby during the film.
But the comedy is first class!
I've haven't laughed so much in ages, the repetitive Left/Right joke was good. :)
5/5

Tomorrow is my birthday so I might get to see a good film?

fowler9

Established Member
Predestination - based on the Robert A. Heinlein short story "'—All You Zombies—'" and starring Ethan Hawke (who I've liked since Training Day) this Australian sci-fi film has similarities to both Twelve Monkeys and The Time Travellers Wife. the complexities and paradoxes of time travel were handled well in a subtle, character driven story. It's a slow starter which carefully bringss all the pieces together for a satisfying denouement, scoring high on my mindf**kometer this could well become a cult classic. - 8.0/10

I enjoyed that one. Glad you did to.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Again I foolishly believed my sister that a film she says is great is worth watching, so we watched Deadpool, apparently it's a X-Men spin-off but is nothing like it. It's full of non-funny jokes, swearing all the time in a poor attempt to be funny, disgusting scenes, etc. Also the main character doesn't really deserve respect so I don't know why we should care what happens to him, especially since he's incredibly annoying and rude. The super powers he has varies, sometimes he breaks his own hand by punching, yet other times a 100ft drop is harmless. The whole story is weak, he wants to kill someone who saved his life because he assumed his wife (Anna from V the reboot series) won't like him now his face is mildly disfigured. His power is that he heals fully... but not his face.
This film is a waste of time totally.
0/5

Star Trek Beyond is starting to be advertised, it's not real Star Trek so don't be expecting anything other than motorbikes and continuity errors.

Personally speaking I think you watched it from the wrong perspective. He is never meant to be a good guy or much of a superhero. He is an idiot and the character pretty much says as much. I quite enjoyed it compared to some Superhero films where the characters are so painfully "Right on" and obviously tortured souls. I say this as someone who is a depressive who quite likes the tortured soul characters.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Just watched The Martian, Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick and District 9. Loved them all, got them all for a bargain in CEx. Seen them all before apart from The Martian. Really enjoyed The Martian but found it hard to believe that a country that doesn't believe in universal healthcare would let a spacecraft go to Mars to save Matt Damon.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Good, bad or fugly ?

LAST FILM :

Now you see me 2 http://gb.imdb.com/title/tt3110958/

You really need to see the first film for any real insight. Not as much magic as the first film but there were a few good scenes. The film was enjoyable and very much watched for light entertainment. One of those films you need to leave your brain at the door and just watch good cinema.
Just watched The Martian, Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick and District 9.

Check out Chappie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823672/?ref_=nm_knf_t3

Very much in the same style.

I've seen Elysium too but Chappie and District 9 feel more closely related and more Neill Blomkamp. Elysium felt like it was trying to please Hollywood.

GMT

My partner and I gave up going to the cinemas long ago. Too expensive and too many rude and noisy people around.

Nevertheless I buy DVDs (very often used) from time to time and the last one I watched was A Simple Plan (1998, with Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton, Bridget Fonda). When money, lots of money found by accident brings endless trouble. 4/5

But the DVD that I recently enjoyed most was The Fall (2006, Lee Pace, Catinca Untaru, Justine Waddell). A wonderful story regarding mythical characters told by a patient in a hospital in Los Angeles in the 1920s to a little Romanian girl with an injured arm. 5/5

fowler9

Established Member
Good, bad or fugly ?

LAST FILM :

Now you see me 2 http://gb.imdb.com/title/tt3110958/

You really need to see the first film for any real insight. Not as much magic as the first film but there were a few good scenes. The film was enjoyable and very much watched for light entertainment. One of those films you need to leave your brain at the door and just watch good cinema.

Check out Chappie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823672/?ref_=nm_knf_t3

Very much in the same style.

I've seen Elysium too but Chappie and District 9 feel more closely related and more Neill Blomkamp. Elysium felt like it was trying to please Hollywood.

Cheers for the tip mate but I've seen Chappie. Loved it by the way. Bizarre film with bizarre characters. Die Antwoord are pretty good in it. Ha ha. I've seen Yolandi being interviewed a few times and she seems pretty off her rocker.

When I was in New Zealand I went to the Weta Workshop. At the time you could go in part of it for free and they had bits and bobs from various films they worked on including Lord Of The Rings but they had some stuff from District 9 as well. Lots of fun, plus it involved a trolley bus ride from the city centre to get there. :D
I liked Elysium to but it was a bit Hollywood. Funny seeing Sharlto Copley being very much the bad guy.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
At my sister's house I watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, I haven't seen the first film, but it was great, it took some time to get going but once the criminal plot was revealed it became an exciting comedy-action with some brilliant one-liners.
4/5

backontrack

Established Member
Shaun of the Dead: 9/10
(dir. Edgar Wright, writers Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright, starring Simon Pegg, Kate Ashfield, and Nick Frost)

What a film this is. It is very funny and also has great pathos in places. The leads (Simon Pegg and Kate Ashfield) are really good, but Penelope Wilton and the generally awesome Bill Nighy are really very impressive.

fowler9

Established Member
At my sister's house I watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, I haven't seen the first film, but it was great, it took some time to get going but once the criminal plot was revealed it became an exciting comedy-action with some brilliant one-liners.
4/5

Christ it must have been an improvement on the original.

:D

SS4

Established Member
Downfall

I'm sure you all know this one if only for the source of Hitler rants but the film is more than that focussing on the last days of the Third Reich from it's leadership perspective.

I'd give it 4/5

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Spy is the last one I saw, ruined only by excessive swearing but is otherwise mostlt funny as a spoof.
3/5

Cletus

Established Member
Just re-watched Escape From Alcatraz (on C4 last night).
I'd say my favourite Clint Eastwood film.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Been a while so:

Olympus has fallen: Terrible but bearable because of the obvious cheese factor

Whitehouse Down: Terrible. Unbearable due to lack of cheese factor. Absolutely terrible.

Star Trek: Enjoyable. I liked the film and thought it brought the franchise into the modern action/sci film era. I liked the humour between the characters and the trademark lines thrown in as a link

Star Trek: Into Darkness - another enjoyable film although i think the original film character of KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is better much as i like old Cumberbund. I do like this new "reboot" - it is modern with a link to the past

Secret life ofs Pet: Gf choice at pictures but a nice funny kids film. I do like the psychotic rabbit ( although the point of Ricky could have been explained more)

The Programme: About the doping operation run by and for Lance Armstrong. Good but felt a little undercooked. It felt a little clunky but did nail the moral aspects both for Armstrong (Charity/cancer works) & against Armstrong (a cheat). Watchable but could have been more

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Terror on a Train, a film [B&W] about a train hauling mines being sabotaged with a detonator which is hidden in one of the many mines.
The train is pulled into a siding while the frantic search starts. The "minesweeper" has tocontend with trainspotter Charlie who makes the film.
4/5

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier, I re-watched this again and think it gets better each time I do. The character backstory, the adventure, the wonder, the search for new life, new worlds, strange life. No other Star Trek film is as similar to the idea of the series as this film.
5/5
Also, on the internet, type "Tribble Dung" to see a review by The Register on how a Star Trek film should not be made.

DaleCooper

Established Member
The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash - documentary about the phenomenon that was the Prefab Four, presented by Eric Idle, featuring George Harrison, Mick Jagger and Paul Simon among others with songs by Neil Innes, if only the Beatles could have produced gems such as I Must Be In Love, Ouch!, Piggy In The Middle and Get Up and Go. - 9.0/10

Black Death - from the same director as Severance (good) and Creep (very bad). Set at the time of the Black Death (of course) it stars Sean Bean as an envoy sent by his bishop to investigate a village which seems untouched by the plague and where it is believed the dead are brought back to life by a necromancer. Very violent without being gory; for me it was a realistic portrayal of harsher times when the church was powerful and the fear of demons and witchcraft was very real. - 6.5/10

fowler9

Established Member
Let The Right One In, the Swedish version, not the pointless American one. Pretty dark, really enjoyed it. Seen it before. Green Zone, mostly tedious. The Bourne Identity, seen it before, what Bond films are trying to be these days, really good. Domino, not great but alright. The Day The Earth Stood Still (Remake), boring. McFarland, USA. Surprisingly good. A real heart warmer.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
I like both versions although it was a pity they left out the scene with the cats in the remake.

There was nothing wrong with the American one but it was so similar to the Swedish one that was only recently released that I didn't get the point. I think it was Michael Kane who asked "Why do they remake good films?" The same happened with Old Boy but not quite as soon after the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.