• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
Standard Aberdeen Urban livery with internal and external vinyls to the same style as those on Glasgow's recent EV deliveries.

Not my photo but here's one of the new Yutongs at Pelican, all 24 are now there. They do look rather smart!
Indeed a smart looking vehicle. Quite surprised to see that they haven't gone for external cameras but have conventional mirrors.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Standard Aberdeen Urban livery with internal and external vinyls to the same style as those on Glasgow's recent EV deliveries.

Not my photo but here's one of the new Yutongs at Pelican, all 24 are now there. They do look rather smart!
They look incredibly smart I really wish Glasgow were getting these!

The interior leather is so drab looking then those horrible handrails, some people at First really don’t have a clue.

PaulMc7

Established Member
They look incredibly smart I really wish Glasgow were getting these!
I second this. The Yutongs look miles better than the E200EVs and definitely feel and look more spacious internally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
69133 has returned to service having been off since August with engine issues.

38223 is to be prepped for repaint and will be going in to a heritage livery. A poll went out to drivers last week with a choice of either the 1975 or 1986 liveries. It's believed the 1975 livery was the one most voted for. I've posted a link to photos of both liveries below for those unfamiliar.

KendalKing

Established Member
69133 has returned to service having been off since August with engine issues.

38223 is to be prepped for repaint and will be going in to a heritage livery. A poll went out to drivers last week with a choice of either the 1975 or 1986 liveries. It's believed the 1975 livery was the one most voted for. I've posted a link to photos of both liveries below for those unfamiliar.

If I was voting, I too would had voted for the 1975 livery.

Volvodart

Established Member
20807 has just left Aberdeen on a Citylink working complete with Citylink ticket machine although a Citylink driver was using the ticket machine before the First driver took over and left.

fife_circle

Just passed two of Glasgow’s 400MMC’s going south on the A92 at Stonehaven. Have they been in Aberdeen again?

Volvodart

Established Member
For one day! There was one I could see still in Aberdeen when I passed the depot so there is another one possibility away too.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Just passed two of Glasgow’s 400MMC’s going south on the A92 at Stonehaven. Have they been in Aberdeen again?
The E400MMCs must have fairly clocked up their miles with the constant back and forth between Aberdeen over the last year.

sannox

The interior leather is so drab looking then those horrible handrails
Personally, I think First interior looks dated and could do with a refresh. I think McGill's Yutongs have a nice interior. Stagecoach's in Inverness are more restrained. I just find the pink garish and a clash with the seats!

Volvodart

Established Member
First were looking at fabric seating, but these were probably ordered before it was decided what the pattern they were going to use.

stevenedin

Fabric is far worse as you can’t tell if the seat is wet or not and also it isn’t able to be cleaned as well as e-leather.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The E400MMCs must have fairly clocked up their miles with the constant back and forth between Aberdeen over the last year.
And each time one has failed to make the journey! This time the culprit is 34380 which broke down at Stonehaven and is being taken back to Aberdeen with some help from Norscot.

To add to the above 34385 is also still here at the time of posting.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
First were looking at fabric seating, but these were probably ordered before it was decided what the pattern they were going to use.
I just hope First chose an interior and stick with it. The constant shifting of interiors does nothing to keep the fleet uniform.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with the current interior especially when the full lighting is on - it’s bright and airy. I do see that the new Yutongs have different seating from what I can see in the photo from the standard seating used in Glasgow.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could we keep the discussion to Aberdeen-specific issues, please?

Anyone who wishes to engage in seat wibble is welcome to start a new thread if there isn't one already.

And each time one has failed to make the journey! This time the culprit is 34380 which broke down at Stonehaven and is being taken back to Aberdeen with some help from Norscot.

To add to the above 34385 is also still here at the time of posting.
400MMC models have never been as reliable or robust as the B7/B9 models there currently replacing.

Bus Lightyear

We all have different perceptions of things but to me the Volvo B7tls were some of rattliest buses going especially the ones with Wright Eclipse Gemini bodywork and they weren't exactly watertight neither. The ones in Plaxton President and Alexander ALX400 bodies were a bit better.

Volvodart

Established Member
The blue hydrogen buses have the same screens as the Stagecoach Bluebird electric buses, but unlike Bluebird next stop announcements have never been activated.

1/3/2023 post below:-

The bus fleet is currently receiving tap on tap off readers. As there is no need for them with the current fare structure (as the existing tap and cap works adequately), that suggests a new ticketing arrangement is coming. Aberdeen is usually first to try anything to do with tickets in First Bus.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity where do First Aberdeen drivers have their breaks? Presumably if they're on route 1 or 2 it must be the depot. Surely they must also have somewhere in the city centre, the bus station?

Last edited by a moderator:

Volvodart

Established Member
There is a canteen at Victoria Court, Castle Street. Some Bridges on the road duties start and finish at the depot, but I think the drivers still go there too.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The bus fleet is currently receiving tap on tap off readers. As there is no need for them with the current fare structure (as the existing tap and cap works adequately), that suggests a new ticketing arrangement is coming. Aberdeen is usually first to try anything to do with tickets in First Bus.
According to an internal post "ToTo" (Tap On / Tap Off) will be going live from the 2nd of April. There will also be some new "Two Trip" single fares.

Red Onion

According to an internal post "ToTo" (Tap On / Tap Off) will be going live from the 2nd of April. There will also be some new "Two Trip" single fares.

They used to have a ”two trip” single fare some time ago if I remember right? If I’m honest, I think it’s terrible that there is no transfer fare. Ideally the maximum fare should allow a transfer to another service within a certain time scale (say 60 mins) like you can have on many other systems. I see absolutely no reason why this can’t be done, it doesn’t need a separate fare.