• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fin447

Enviro400s 33683 and 33703 are currently making their way north from Manchester to Aberdeen.

Enviro300 67715 has also transferred from Glasgow to Aberdeen in the past week.

It is believed that the diesel fleet in Aberdeen is going to be standardised on Enviro300 and Enviro400s.
Is that including replacing the bendies?

Bowie

I’ve always wondered why First Aberdeen never got some E200’s tbh, but now that I think about it they can be pretty unreliable

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I’ve always wondered why First Aberdeen never got some E200’s tbh, but now that I think about it they can be pretty unreliable
Because it wouldn't make sense from an operational perspective to have a small fleet of 10.8 metre midi-buses.

Aberdeen did have a batch of full size Enviro200MMCs however they were very unpopular with maintenance and drivers alike and unreliable. It says a lot that they only lasted a few months in Glasgow before getting moved on elsewhere.

Bowie

Because it wouldn't make sense from an operational perspective to have a small fleet of 10.8 metre midi-buses.

Aberdeen did have a batch of full size Enviro200MMCs however they were very unpopular with maintenance and drivers alike and unreliable. It says a lot that they only lasted a few months in Glasgow before getting moved on elsewhere.
Yeah I suppose that makes sense, and aye i remember seeing the MMCs in Aberdeen when they were still there

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They are unlikely to track again unless the Scottish Government makes it a requirement as in England.
Glasgow seems to be tracking fine so seems strange Aberdeen has been completely cut off altogether. I wish we’d get proper tracking like in England.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think the move from Glasgow was more about the need in Bath and grouping all those early e200mmcs together for standardisation as the ones from Swansea were also shunted over there.

Last edited:

fife_circle

The app is now showing an exact seat count on the live departures. Making it easier to tell if it’s a single or double decker again.

aberdeen1

The app is now showing an exact seat count on the live departures. Making it easier to tell if it’s a single or double-decker again.
Never really understood why they changed it in the first place, makes much more sense to see an exact number rather than the 10+ it originally was, and then 20+ after complaints.

fife_circle

It’s infuriating once again to walk past the depot and see the sheer amount of deckers parked up out of service. This is all while the 1&2 are running with Yutongs and Streetlites on a match day which, surprise, surprise is a recipe for disaster. Busses running up and down King Street displaying "bus full", leaving loads of people behind at Castlegate and other Union Street stops.

The 13 of course also having the same issues but they seemed to be running duplicates? Unless I just caught one running very late but a Streetlite went past displaying “bus full” with an E400 coming right behind it to pick up all the remaining passengers.

I assume they’re working to get all of the returned Hydroliners back into service ASAP?

Volvodart

Established Member
Depends if they can actually refuel them? See post #1660
Nothing has been done to the 8 that have recently returned since their arrival (the same with the several already here which have been out of service for some time). They seem to just work on the couple that have been in service recently but are now out of service.

Last edited:

Sol7

Would this be the right thread to ask about the hiring promotion that First is running for new drivers?

Saw grampian transport livery E500 33223 on the 3A this afternoon. I take it and 33219 are the last 2 E500s left in service according to bustimes. Anything due to transfer to Aberdeen to replace these E500s?

fife_circle

Saw grampian transport livery E500 33223 on the 3A this afternoon. I take it and 33219 are the last 2 E500s left in service according to bustimes. Anything due to transfer to Aberdeen to replace these E500s?
It’s said that the streetdecks that have been in storage over the past while are to be returning to service soon pending MOT’s. Perhaps they’re almost ready.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Indeed just 38219 and 38223 are left. 38219 was on the 2 today, but surprised 38223 was out given it needs new fuel injectors.

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
It’s said that the streetdecks that have been in storage over the past while are to be returning to service soon pending MOT’s. Perhaps they’re almost ready.
The 6 ex Oldham E400s are the replacements for the E500s. Some of the hydrogen buses have been looked at, but no work done to get them ready for MOTs or other work needed for them to return to service.

Volvodart

Established Member
It's a stupid question, but why can they only fuel 18 with a single pump?
The amount of hydrogen the plant can produce. As far as I am aware it needs to run at night to get the cheap electricity rates for it to be cost effective.

Last edited:
The amount of hydrogen the plant can produce. As far as I am aware it needs to run at night to get the cheap electricity rates for it to be cost effective.
Thus going back to the same old same old reasoning that Diesels are still the prime vehicles to invest in and run for public service.

JD2168

Surely it would have made sense to make sure that enough Hydrogen Pumps & facilities were available before these vehicles entered service then surely most of these issues would have been avoided.

E400’s replacing E500’s, could this cause capacity issues due to not carrying as many as the E500’s on particularly busy journeys.

Surely it would have made sense to make sure that enough Hydrogen Pumps & facilities were available before these vehicles entered service then surely most of these issues would have been avoided.
In theory this should have been throughly thought out, in reality it has not.

E400’s replacing E500’s, could this cause capacity issues due to not carrying as many as the E500’s on particularly busy journeys.
Given that those E500’s are only 12metre models, the differences aren’t huge compared to the 10.9metre E400.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It is bizarre to think that there are hydrogen buses which were delivered in 2020 and have barely seen service in nearly four years.

alphabravo43

Yet Wrightbus are advertising them online on their social media profiles like they are a success.
It's not Wrightbus that are in the wrong here, their product works. It's Aberdeen Council that provide the Hydrogen pump and they haven't planned for the usuage. I'd like to think there is plans in place to expand this?