• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Capital Connect Trainee Drivers Bedford & Blackfriars

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamess115

Anyone associated with this thread got any reliable or even speculative info on when the next trainee driver intake for Bedford & Blackfriars is likely to be ?

Thanks

I don't know why I bother posting questions on this site :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
Anyone associated with this thread got any reliable or even speculative info on when the next trainee driver intake for Bedford & Blackfriars is likely to be ?

Thanks

Presumably nobody has any worthwhile information to share

They are running courses at the moment but Hornsey is at capacity with trainees so there is most probably a long que of trainees to start. There are still vacancies but no one on here is going to be able to give you a start date or even have a rough guess.

If I were you and if you have been waiting a while with no contact from FCC id contact HR with a polite request for any updates on start dates. Don't come across as nagging but nothing wrong with showing that you are to till interested.

Plus FCC hr will be able to give you more of an idea on start dates than anyone on here can.

jamess115

They are running courses at the moment but Hornsey is at capacity with trainees so there is most probably a long que of trainees to start. There are still vacancies but no one on here is going to be able to give you a start date or even have a rough guess.

If I were you and if you have been waiting a while with no contact from FCC id contact HR with a polite request for any updates on start dates. Don't come across as nagging but nothing wrong with showing that you are to till interested.

Plus FCC hr will be able to give you more of an idea on start dates than anyone on here can.

Thanks A-driver. I will contact HR but wanted to post on here initially just to get some feedback as I have only been on the waiting list for a relatively short period.

Tracks

I'm currently in the talent pool, possibly starting training in july or september.

Does anyone know if the change to Govia, will effect us hopefuls in the short/long term?

Wonder how many people are there currently 'lost' in the talent pool awaiting formal offers?

W230

Established Member
I don't know why I bother posting questions on this site :roll:
Simmer down big lad just got to give people a chance to answer! :lol:

Blackfriars is currently overstaffed as taken on a load of qualifieds from other TOCs. Bedford is as always under staffed but the training school is currently full to capacity and churning them out straight. I think a course may have started fairly recently so it's likely to be a good six months until another one comes up.

jamess115

Understood, but it has been suggested on here that anything over six months waiting requires another interview ?

PS. How did you know I was big..? ;)

A-driver

Established Member
Understood, but it has been suggested on here that anything over six months waiting requires another interview ?

PS. How did you know I was big..? ;)

Pure speculation but with go ahead taking over there is every chance that come September thise waiting for trainee drivers courses will start getting through quicker as if go ahead take on FCC as part of their southern franchise they will use thise training facilities to.

Obviously depends how closely they run both franchises for the next few years before complete merger though.

W230

Established Member
Pure speculation but with go ahead taking over there is every chance that come September thise waiting for trainee drivers courses will start getting through quicker as if go ahead take on FCC as part of their southern franchise they will use thise training facilities to.
Also, as I understand it FCC will have to finish the franchise with a certain number of qualified drivers in place.

I never know how true this argument is but people say that TOCs will let the driver numbers run down mid franchise as they can cover work more cheaply on overtime than with more drivers, their salaries and pensions and so towards the end of the francise they need to replace these lost drivers to make sure they hand over with those specified in their agreement. Don't know how true it is though and I guess you wouldn't be qualified by then anyway.

I do think that quite possibly the TOCs organise their trainee driver posts on a week by week basis!

A-driver

Established Member
Also, as I understand it FCC will have to finish the franchise with a certain number of qualified drivers in place.

I never know how true this argument is but people say that TOCs will let the driver numbers run down mid franchise as they can cover work more cheaply on overtime than with more drivers, their salaries and pensions and so towards the end of the francise they need to replace these lost drivers to make sure they hand over with those specified in their agreement. Don't know how true it is though and I guess you wouldn't be qualified by then anyway.

I do think that quite possibly the TOCs organise their trainee driver posts on a week by week basis!

That is all true except that as far as I understand it they don't have to had back a full compliment if QUALIFIED drivers, just a full compliment of drivers so trainees will count.

Jim123

I just had a chat with someone at resourcing who said that until the handover, everything carries on as normal; vacancies that are shown on the web-site are still there to be filled and it's business as usual.

I asked about when the next intake of trainees would be and she said that she didn't know and that was that really. What she did say was that whoever takes over uses the same system of recruitment and that she imagined that at that level (train driver) nothing much will change at all at the handover stage.

rey89iceman

I'm also waiting in the talent pool.

Pretty sure the latest intake started around April/May time.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I'm also waiting in the talent pool.

Pretty sure the latest intake started around April/May time.

It did, about 2 weeks ago for Bedford/Blackfriars! Know a few internals who have got a Kings Cross course in July too!

Bucko

I read last week that FCC have lost the franchise for the Thameslink route. If that's true, what implications will that have on this job opportunity

A-driver

Established Member
I read last week that FCC have lost the franchise for the Thameslink route. If that's true, what implications will that have on this job opportunity

Read up thread-it's been covered.

Absolutely no effect whatsoever. You just may not get a uniform until the new lot take over in September as first are unlikely to fork out on branded clothing for a few months of non-productivity.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Read up thread-it's been covered.

Absolutely no effect whatsoever. You just may not get a uniform until the new lot take over in September as first are unlikely to fork out on branded clothing for a few months of non-productivity.

I would attend work in my pants in that case!!

Jim123

Has anyone on here who has passed stage 2 heard about their driver manager interview yet? No news for me as yet so am trying to get a feel as to how long we'll be waiting.

cheers all

Pepperami

Hey Jim

I'm waiting too but there were two assessment days this week if I remember correctly so they might be awaiting the results of those first maybe?

Out of interest which day did you do part 2?

Jim123

I was on Monday May 19th. I thought that it might be a while because of the assessment days going on this week but I was wondering if they'd pencilled some in already. We'll find out soon no doubt.

Sparkybill

Hey Jim, glad to hear you also made it through I was there on the 19th May and still waiting for a DM date.

Last edited:

Pepperami

Hello Sparky, glad you made it too :)

Im really happy to have got this far, so a couple of weeks of waiting to hear about the next interview is fine by me, hopefully the next stage will go well and we can get on the next intake :)

Is the next interview a little less formal do you know in its structure, or will be be asked the sorts of questions we were at assessment 2?

Sparkybill

Hello Sparky, glad you made it too :)

Im really happy to have got this far, so a couple of weeks of waiting to hear about the next interview is fine by me, hopefully the next stage will go well and we can get on the next intake :)

Is the next interview a little less formal do you know in its structure, or will be be asked the sorts of questions we were at assessment 2?

According to info I've gleaned from other posts it appears it is usually more informal and some of the questions may be similar to the MMI, but also some others thrown in on other subjects sometimes along the lines of "what do you see as the role of a driver", "why do you feel you would make a good driver", "what can you tell me about the company/depot locations/stations served"?

Obviously, it could be completely different and I'm only guessing but until we are there and have been through it all we can do is try and learn as much as possible, I suppose!

Oh, and congrats to you too Pepperami :)

Last edited:

Pepperami

Cheers mate :)

Yeah i was thinking along the same lines as you as well, but on the day I am sure the old curveball will rear its head lol

We've come this far, for this I am more than grateful, I am very much looking forwards to the next stage, with a little fear thrown in as well lol :)]

According to info I've gleaned from other posts it appears it is usually more informal and some of the questions may be similar to the MMI, but also some others thrown in on other subjects sometimes along the lines of "what do you see as the role of a driver", "why do you feel you would make a good driver", "what can you tell me about the company/depot locations/stations served"?

Obviously, it could be completely different and I'm only guessing but until we are there and have been through it all we can do is try and learn as much as possible, I suppose!

Oh, and congrats to you too Pepperami :)

Sparkybill

Hi All,

Just got the 'Good News' email and have booked my DM interview for 16th June! Starting to get really nervous now.....:)

Good Luck everyone whose going!

bigbob123

Hello everyone. I have recently received the below email from first group resourcing. I am in the talent pool waiting for a position but not sure where this leaves me now first group have lost the franchise. As the email says they will let us know but I am a bit worried! It has been a long process and will be a massive disapointment if I am back to square one.

As you are most probably aware, with effect from 14th September 2014, FirstGroup will no longer operate the First Capital Connect Rail Franchise. We understand that this may raise some questions from you with regards to your current application to join First Capital Connect. At this time we are reviewing all our recruitment activity and will be in contact with you in the next couple of weeks to update you further on your application status.*If you need to access your application please login using your [email protected]*to the URL belowhttps://uk.firstgroupcareers.com/loginKind regards,FirstGroup Resourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.