• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class Excess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good afternoon, tomorrow morning I am travelling from Branksome to Southampton Airport Parkway. I hold a standard class off peak return.

I am changing at Bournemouth (to pick up some work) to travel on the 9.45 CrossCountry service. Am I able to upgrade to 1st class for the outward journey only and how much would this cost me. I paid £14.40 for my standard class ticket and hold no railcards.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
A first class excess on one leg of a standard return is NOT half the difference. Half the difference only applies to "Off-Route" excess fares.

The excess for superior class is the difference between the return fare paid and the sum of a first class single and a standard class single, or, if cheaper, an excess on both legs of the return, or, if cheaper, a new first class single ticket for the portion of the journey for which first class is available..

One leg = (£21.90 + £13.30) - £14.40 = £20.80.
Both legs = £23.70 - £14.40 = £9.30
New single = £21.90

The excess should be £9.30.

John @ home

Established Member
Agreed. I was confusing a change of route excess with a change of class excess. Sorry.

Note that, in this instance, the Standard return ticket is converted to a First Class return ticket, so the OP is able to sit in First Class accommodation on the return leg too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.