• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class who has the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Premium and Business on Trenitalia's various species of "Frecce" have (vast quantities of) free prosecco.
Admittedly the only other thing you usually get is a couple of breadsticks but it's quite comfy nonetheless

I managed to get a full evening meal on one, but it was no better than VTWC/VTEC and was very obviously microwaved.

My ratings:

EMT: best breakfast included with ticket
ATW: best evening meal included with ticket
VTEC: best overall offering included with ticket
VTWC: strong on breakfast, weak elsewhere.
FGW/GWR: since the refresh- best seating and carriage ambience. Pullman dining offers the best lunch of any TOC, but all proper meals are expensive.

TPE/Scotrail/XC/Grand Central: mediocre and only worth bothering with for the seat or if on a cheap advance.- XC is better now you get a breakfast sandwich.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The EMT breakfast used to be excellent, but it has gone rapidly downhill. First the starters (cereal or fruit salad) disappeared, then the bread basket (toast, croissants etc) went the same way. :(

I got offered toast and croissants earlier this year? I still think it's the best breakfast offer of any TOC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tankmc

Virgin Trains East Coast except weekends
Virgin West Coast for Breakfast
Hull Trains is also good and usually a lower price point.
GC is good for the extra space as i usually only pay £10 more. There service is the friendliest and the always make sure you have enough tea and biscuits to sink a ship.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
2+1 Seating on 170s, 185s & 350s, decent sized snack box and hot drink/bottled water.

Definitely worth the weekend first price anyway.

I think there needs to be a minimum offering for them to be sold as first class. Going from one TOC to another the difference can be vast. I like the idea of some first class offerings been called a "Business Zone" or something for TOCS such as Transpennine and around london where you are basically getting a nicer seat and quieter area. At least passengers don't expect "First Class" service.

To me first class should be 2 + 1 seating, Free Wifi, Free Soft Drinks and Food.
Business Zone should be Free Wifi, Larger/More Comfortable seat and If possible Tea & Coffee.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
The biggest bargains are definitely available on Virgin Trains East Coast during the sale periods.

For the last few weeks I have been bashing down to various locations in the North of England for "pennies" £8 to £20 each way - most nearer £10 than £20.

For that you are getting a free Paper and Drink / Snack on Scotrail from Falkirk to Waverley. You then have access to the Lounge in Edinburgh for more freebies. Breakfast is served on your VTEC Service to Durham or wherever.

On the way back you may have access to another Lounge, Lunch/Dinner on the Train with free Alcohol and bits and pieces. On the Scotrail leg another free drink and snack.

How I love the words "Virgin East Coast and Connections" - a passport to a "freeloaders" paradise :p

Established Member
GTR's Southern branded 377s have the best First Class

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BestWestern

Established Member
The Pullman is not GWR's comparative First Class product, of course. It is an additional, very limited service, which in fact has no direct link with 'normal' First Class, beyond using some of the seating and FC ticket holders having first refusal. You won't get a fillet steak served on china just for buying a First Class ticket!

Just saying! :D

dk1

Veteran Member
Abellio Greater Anglia (back to Greater Anglia from Sunday) has upped its game in the last year or so. Good refurb of MKIII stock with power sockets & upgraded WiFi & many trains now have a dedicated 1st class host. The Restaurants will never return but the Stadler sets on order do promise a 'Bistro' whatever that turns out to be & has hopefully safeguarded the 70 jobs associated with catering on the GEML.

tsr

Established Member
Abellio Greater Anglia (back to Greater Anglia from Sunday) has upped its game in the last year or so. Good refurb of MKIII stock with power sockets & upgraded WiFi & many trains now have a dedicated 1st class host. The Restaurants will never return but the Stadler sets on order do promise a 'Bistro' whatever that turns out to be & has hopefully safeguarded the 70 jobs associated with catering on the GEML.

I have to say that in the last few years I've always found AGA catering staff to be amongst the friendliest on the network, and never had any real complaints about what they sell/give away at the buffets either. Never thought the stuff to be as extortionate as on some TOCs, and quality has always seemed reasonable, with freebies perfectly OK on the basis of the very decent First Advance pricing at times (even found pretty good deals in the peaks either side of Bank Holidays).

All in all, whoever's devised the strategy seems to have done well and I very much hope this extends to the catering folks in due course.

jindivik

What motivation is there to travel first class? besides more chance in getting a seat, is it really worth the considerable cost increase? The first class upgrades with TPE for example during the week seem a little "steep" considering what you get regarding onboard catering, a snack and a tea/coffee, they sell Lavazza coffee on board for people buying from the trolley, but first class customers get a cheaper liquid version in smaller cups.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What motivation is there to travel first class? besides more chance in getting a seat, is it really worth the considerable cost increase? The first class upgrades with TPE for example during the week seem a little "steep" considering what you get regarding onboard catering, a snack and a tea/coffee, they sell Lavazza coffee on board for people buying from the trolley, but first class customers get a cheaper liquid version in smaller cups.

It is very very dependent on the journey, its purpose, your income, time of day, and who's paying.

I do not *need* to travel by train except for my daily commute (in STD) or occasional work trips to Glasgow (for which the plane from London City usually works out as a better use of time, and cheaper for the taxpayer).

So, nearly all my trips are leisure, at a time of my choosing, and between two stations of my choosing. Therefore, I book well in advance. I often get the lowest First Advance tier on sale and will usually book trains with a good meal provision. So I don't pay a lot of money for First Class, and I certainly wouldn't be doing a STD-1ST upgrade on the train during the week!

SGB1953

Originally Posted by jindivik View Post

For a few years before my late father became too frail to travel at all, I, and sometimes my son, used to go to pick him up for Christmas and take him back home after. We live in Kent and he lived in Cheshire, so this meant changing in London. At the time neither of us could drive, so train was the only option. My father certainly appreciated the extra comfort of first class on Virgin Trains. No point in first class on the Hastings line of course! It was expensive, but not ridiculously so if Advance fares were used.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

It depends where you're going, who's paying, and what the price difference is.

My travel is mostly for leisure, so I can be more flexible about when I travel. Sometimes the price difference between first class and standard class is huge, so I don't pay it. Sometimes the price difference is much smaller, and sometimes it is worth it and sometimes it isn't.

Even on TPE the bigger seat and the snack makes first class worthwhile. The question is how much extra one is prepared to pay to use it. I'd normally be happy to pay about £10-£15 an hour extra to use first class, because of the extra comfort, meaning I'm much less likely to upgrade on shorter journeys.

Upgrading on board, other than at a weekend, would cost an astronomical amount of money (if it is allowed). That really isn't worth it.

I have never understood why LM even designate first class on their 350s on local services. I mean, Wolverhampton to Walsall stopper! EMT have a good offering particularly on their HSTs. What really stands out for me though is the difference between 1st class and 2nd class off peak advances can be less than a couple of cups of tea in the buffet, and as such, a bit of a no-brainer.

les.

Virgin Trains East Coast from the TOC's I have used is by far the best. Free hot meal, sandwiches, drinks, even alcohol during week days. Only sandwiches and soft drinks at weekends though. Also crisps, cakes, fruit readily available.

Last Saturday I travelled first class on South West Trains which is nothing like. Just a bit larger seat and a table and within the same carriage as standard class. No complimentary food or drink and that was on a journey from Clapham Junction to Exeter which took over 3 and a half hours.

Last edited:

herschell

I've only used VTEC and I enjoy as once a year I treat myself for my birthday with a trip from MTS-EDB, and I really like the new leather seats.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Virgin Trains East Coast from the TOC's I have used is by far the best. Free hot meal, sandwiches, drinks, even alcohol during week days. Only sandwiches and soft drinks at weekends though. Also crisps, cakes, fruit readily available.

Last Saturday I travelled first class on South West Trains which is nothing like. Just a bit larger seat and a table and within the same carriage as standard class. No complimentary food or drink and that was on a journey from Clapham Junction to Exeter which took over 3 and a half hours.

And sometimes not even a door anymore to separate First Class from the riff-raff in standard :lol:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Exactly, never even had it's own toilet. Had to walk through the riff-raff to use the loo. :lol:

Nor do Voyagers. The toilet in Coach E is supposed to be for first class ticket holders only but this is never enforced.

GodAtum

On Moderation
i use 1st on Southern and SWT so I have more chance of getting a seat.

Established Member
Sorry, where is MTS?

Montrose (apparently, I had to look it up).

I have to say that in the last few years I've always found AGA catering staff to be amongst the friendliest on the network, and never had any real complaints about what they sell/give away at the buffets either. Never thought the stuff to be as extortionate as on some TOCs, and quality has always seemed reasonable, with freebies perfectly OK on the basis of the very decent First Advance pricing at times (even found pretty good deals in the peaks either side of Bank Holidays).

All in all, whoever's devised the strategy seems to have done well and I very much hope this extends to the catering folks in due course.

Agree, the AGA catering staff are a good bunch. The first class hosts on the peak trains build up a rapport with some of the regular commuters which is nice to see.

A while back they did trial outsourcing the sandwich supply. The quality dropped and to their credit the experiment was abandoned. Now trying a different coffee and asking for feedback.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member

It should be considered though that, despite some long journeys being possible, SWT it essentially a commuter railway. As was always the case on the Southern Region, they don't do 'intercity'. In that category, the First Class offering far exceeds what is available elsewhere. Southern/Thameslink/Southeastern etc is dire, to the point of offering zero value for money. SWT offers what I tend to find is amongst the cumfiest First Class seating around, including the proper long distance TOCs, but without the catering provision.

Status
Not open for further replies.