• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I travel daily between Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Temple Meads. In the morning I travel on CrossCountry and this is the only train of the day (apart from the other journey in the other direction) which has First class, so there are no First class tickets avaliable on the computer system.

This train is normally very busy & my mum likes to buy a coffee at the station in the morning (v. expensive!) so I thought about trying First class. I asked at a ticket office if I could buy a 1st class ticket and was told there was none avaliable - and was shown the ticket options on their screen. The only thought I had was to buy from Parkway and just treating it as a break of journey.

What could the Train Manager do if I just sat in First? I have no objection to paying, but surely his machine couldn't charge me if the main ones in the ticket office can't? A few years ago I was told there was some sort of formula for deciding how much extra First class costs, was this right and is it something ticketing staff don't know about?

As a side point to creating a new thread, does anyone know if FGW will accept CrossCountry's First class tickets in their First class lounge at Bristol?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
As a side point to creating a new thread, does anyone know if FGW will accept CrossCountry's First class tickets in their First class lounge at Bristol?

I've done so "billions" of times before, and rather like the very cosey feel to the lounge. It's especially nice, when the FGW gentleman who's often in the lounge is there, as he's a very friendly chap who is a great person if you want help/information, or even just a chat.

I find it odd that the majority of TOCs ban customers from other TOC's tickets using their lounge, but FGW seem to be OK about it..

About trying to upgrade your ticket.. I once walked up to Blackburn ticket office a few years ago, and asked about a first class return from there to Bolton, valid on the Bournemouth Voyager which was routed Blackburn-Preston-Bolton.
FNW ticket man- "Well for a start off, that train doesn't exist!"
Me- I think that your wrong, as I know the Voyager is advertised to stop here, and is even on the departure boards.
Ticket man- "I'll check." **He phones signaller"
Ticket man-"Signaller says it might stop, it might not stop."
Me- "So can I have a ticket please?"
Ticket man- "I can't sell you First class, you'll have to upgrade on the train"
Me- "Ok, i'll not buy one now, but will have a word with the TM when it pulls in"

In the end, I actually worked out that I couldn't return from Bolton, so just chatted to the TM and Driver, waved them off, got blasted on horn :razz: and vanished home.. :roll:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What could the Train Manager do if I just sat in First? I have no objection to paying, but surely his machine couldn't charge me if the main ones in the ticket office can't? A few years ago I was told there was some sort of formula for deciding how much extra First class costs, was this right and is it something ticketing staff don't know about?
1.5 times the Standard fare. So 4.80 for a FDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.