• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Eastern Counties

vla50

A very timely message, as it's emerged that this weekend will see the end of several elderly Eastern Counties deckers. Great Yarmouth heritage livery 32059 is having a photoshoot in the town tomorrow with the "new" GY heritage vehicle 37562 and a preserved Great Yarmouth Corporation AEC Swift to mark its final day in service (having outlasted its fellow W-reg B7TLs by almost two years). It's believed to be heading back to Leicestershire for preservation, eventually to be restored to its 2000 condition. 21 and a half years of service, she's certainly earned her keep!

Meanwhile, there's a clearout of unrefurbished Presidents in Norwich, five of the six remaining Tridents (33055, 33060, 33245, 33246 and 33247) and B7TL 32204 will be stood down imminently. No replacements expected, so guessing it's COVID service reductions which have swung the axe, and in turn finally renders Barbie extinct in Norwich. 33154 is the sole unrefurbished Trident to survive these cuts apparently. Barbie livery still clings on at Yarmouth on three B7TL/Presidents, but the end is surely near. There's still a quartet of older ALX400s at GY but their higher seating capacity makes them ideal for Bernard Matthews contracts so would imagine they will outlast the Presidents.

The last of the ex-South Yorkshire B7RLEs are due to be withdrawn in a few days as well.
Thank you for that information. I guess the axe really has swung in the East and it will be sad seeing Tridents disappear from Norwich streets.

Do you know whether any of these Tridents will be sent to Ensignbus for resale? They would certainly make great preservation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CBlue

Thank you for that information. I guess the axe really has swung in the East and it will be sad seeing Tridents disappear from Norwich streets.

Do you know whether any of these Tridents will be sent to Ensignbus for resale? They would certainly make great preservation.
It really won't be sad seeing those wrecks go. I remember travelling on those Tridents when they arrived in Norwich and they were knackered then even with the refubishments. I can't imagine they've got any better in the past decade!

vla50

When will 36902 re-enter service? It's been off road for ages but I do understand it was involved in an accident.

Volvodart

Established Member
If there is to be a court case as a result of the accident, it could be off until that is resolved.

Last edited:

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
After 24 years, Barbie is now on extremely borrowed time as of this weekend. Two of the three remaining B7TL/Presidents at Yarmouth (32206 and 32213) were withdrawn last night, leaving sister 32210 as the final FEC vehicle in this livery. They've been replaced by two more YJ06 plate B7TL/Geminis from Bradford (37055 and 37056), and there should be a third due imminently to retire 32210.

The four YJ51 reg B7TL/ALX400s continue in service, their higher capacity and general better condition compared to the Presidents (the exterior of 32206 at the end just has to be seen to be believed, at least the interior was still decent) has kept them alive, but surely they won't see 2023.

vla50

After 24 years, Barbie is now on extremely borrowed time as of this weekend. Two of the three remaining B7TL/Presidents at Yarmouth (32206 and 32213) were withdrawn last night, leaving sister 32210 as the final FEC vehicle in this livery. They've been replaced by two more YJ06 plate B7TL/Geminis from Bradford (37055 and 37056), and there should be a third due imminently to retire 32210.

The four YJ51 reg B7TL/ALX400s continue in service, their higher capacity and general better condition compared to the Presidents (the exterior of 32206 at the end just has to be seen to be believed, at least the interior was still decent) has kept them alive, but surely they won't see 2023.
Thought those Bradford B7s were for the Great Yarmouth Open Top? I think 37026 might replace 32210.

Devon Sunset

I saw 32206 on a no.8 just after we arrived yesterday and surprised it was still in service.

Is it true that Ex First West Of England 32336 is having a new number plate (CRZ 468) it used to be LK53 LYW. Is this bus also going to be converted to open top?
Indeed gather it is being reregistered along with the other Great Yarmouth open tops.

With many thanks to Chris Speed at first we can exclusively reveal the full list of OpenToppers for 2022 complete with all their cherished registrations they have/will be given.

32905 CRZ166 Ex. W905VLN

32348 CRZ266 Ex. LK53LZL

37000 CRZ366 Ex. LK53AYY

32336 CRZ488 Ex. LK53LYW

37057 CRZ599 Ex. YJ06XMH

37059 CRZ622 Ex. YJ06XML

Callum15632

Reported on another thread is that 10 Ex Manchester Volvo B9TLs 37388, 37396, 37403, 37405, 37406, 37407, 37408, 37410, 37415 and 37416 are transferring to First Eastern Counties.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Reported on another thread is that 10 Ex Manchester Volvo B9TLs 37388, 37396, 37403, 37405, 37406, 37407, 37408, 37410, 37415 and 37416 are transferring to First Eastern Counties.
They are the ones that came to Bath in August 2019 to convert the 4. Unlike the native ones (and the ones from Aberdeen), they're rather faded internally and could really do with some TLC.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
There's been more developments on the vehicle front at First Eastern Counties. Volvo B7TL/President 32210 suffered gearbox failure about two weeks ago and has been withdrawn, finally rendering Barbie livery extinct in the area. It's expected to go for scrap imminently, a local preservationist had expressed interest but clearly couldn't seal the deal. Norwich's collection of Presidents, both Tridents and B7s, continue to give excellent service in the city, almost all now over 20 years old, but surely will be on the hitlist soon.

Meanwhile in Lowestoft, five ex-London United E200s have been bought, refurbished, and being drip-fed into service as of this week. These should kill off the last quintet of Pointer Darts at the depot; indeed Eastern Counties heritage livered 42926 has already been withdrawn. They look incredibly smart, but I'm surprised First plumped for 13 year old replacements given there's many newer ex-London E200s on the secondhand market right now.

Ipswich have secured nine 12-plate B7RLEs from First Weymouth, which are slowly being repainted and put into service to remove older 05-reg siblings. There's rumours that the depot may be due a batch of lowheight Wright Streetdecks to clear out the B7TL/ALX400s, which if they materialise would be the first new vehicles at Ipswich in nearly 14 years. Even then, it's been mooted that the Streetdecks might only replace the 53-reg B7s, with the six members of the 05-reg batch staying for the meantime on school services. While these may be the youngest ALX400s in the First fleet, given the cull of the type elsewhere in the empire I somehow doubt these will survive! Either way it's a welcome upgrade of the Ipswich fleet.

Finally, it appears some ex-Go Ahead London B9TLs have been sourced, for an unknown destination at present. The former WVL314 is the first to be completed. I'm unsure as to how many are coming this way. By process of elimination I presume these are for Great Yarmouth to remove the 51-plate ALX400s and 32210, but we shall see!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Meanwhile in Lowestoft, five ex-London United E200s have been bought, refurbished, and being drip-fed into service as of this week. These should kill off the last quintet of Pointer Darts at the depot; indeed Eastern Counties heritage livered 42926 has already been withdrawn. They look incredibly smart, but I'm surprised First plumped for 13 year old replacements given there's many newer ex-London E200s on the secondhand market right now.
To be honest, it's a little surprising that Lowestoft locals are still surviving in these times. I guess they could've got newer but they've got something at the appropriate "price point"
Finally, it appears some ex-Go Ahead London B9TLs have been sourced, for an unknown destination at present. The former WVL314 is the first to be completed. I'm unsure as to how many are coming this way. By process of elimination I presume these are for Great Yarmouth to remove the 51-plate ALX400s and 32210, but we shall see!
Looks decent. There's plenty of tat to replace and guess they might replace the B7 Geminis to allow them to replace the ALXs in Great Yarmouth. Those have been good servants but they are very battle scarred now

vla50

There's been more developments on the vehicle front at First Eastern Counties. Volvo B7TL/President 32210 suffered gearbox failure about two weeks ago and has been withdrawn, finally rendering Barbie livery extinct in the area. It's expected to go for scrap imminently, a local preservationist had expressed interest but clearly couldn't seal the deal. Norwich's collection of Presidents, both Tridents and B7s, continue to give excellent service in the city, almost all now over 20 years old, but surely will be on the hitlist soon.

Ipswich have secured nine 12-plate B7RLEs from First Weymouth, which are slowly being repainted and put into service to remove older 05-reg siblings. There's rumours that the depot may be due a batch of lowheight Wright Streetdecks to clear out the B7TL/ALX400s, which if they materialise would be the first new vehicles at Ipswich in nearly 14 years. Even then, it's been mooted that the Streetdecks might only replace the 53-reg B7s, with the six members of the 05-reg batch staying for the meantime on school services. While these may be the youngest ALX400s in the First fleet, given the cull of the type elsewhere in the empire I somehow doubt these will survive! Either way it's a welcome upgrade of the Ipswich fleet.

I would assume they’d replace the 53 plated Gemini in Great Yarmouth as well?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Scania / ADL would have fitted the the fleet better than Streetdecks.

Not sure any of those offer a low enough height option to fit under the depot roof at Ipswich, however.
I think they probably could have - Bristol has low height Scania/ADLs for the metrobus m2 that goes across a restricted height truss bridge.

That said, not certain that Scania/ADL "would have fitted the fleet better" - there's a single batch of them specifically for the Excel where there's a long distance, fast running requirement. Ipswich has a different requirement - Streetdecks would seem a logical choice for a relatively flat part of the world.

After a spell of ADL being the preferred choice and Wrightbus being exiled, First have clearly returned to Wrights. Controversial view but I can see why - travelled on a few recent ADLs last Thursday and the build quality was awful.

dlp_888

More info on the latest arrivals including confirmation Ipswich are receiving brand new Streetdecks here: https://eastnorfolkbus.blogspot.com/2022/09/new-arrivals-galore.html?m=1

Not counting the B7RLE’s for Ipswich Park & Ride in 2008 these will be the first brand new vehicles for the Ipswich network since the ALX400’s in 2003!

Just bringing this one up to date a touch more.

The new Wright StreetDecks for First Eastern Counties "Ipswich Reds" fleet started to arrive yesterday (20/09/22), with initial delivery to Norwich for certification, vinyl application etc. See link below for photos:

These will receive fleetnumbers 35910-35926.
A total of 17 are due.
These are built to "lowheight" 13'10"/4220mm format to enable access to the fuelling lanes of Ipswich depot where there is a low roof.

The first 5 to arrive are registered:

35910 BN72 TVA
35911 BN72 TVC
35912 BN72 TVD
35913 BN72 TVE
35914 BN72 TVF

More updates to follow.

buslad1988

These will receive fleetnumbers 35910-35926.
A total of 17 are due. These are built to "lowheight" 13'10"/4220mm format to enable access to the fuelling lanes of Ipswich depot where there is a low roof.

The first 5 to arrive are registered:

35910 BN72 TVA
35911 BN72 TVC
35912 BN72 TVD
35913 BN72 TVE
35914 BN72 TVF
Brilliant, thanks for the update! Keep us posted on the further arrivals please. I wonder if they’ll all receive the generic branding or some for specific corridors like the Swift?

Huge investment and commitment from First into its Ipswich operations. Would be great to see them slowly start re-expanding into old (or indeed new) territory in Ipswich/Suffolk again. With First Essex encroaching onto Arrivas patches in Colchester maybe they have a similar approach in mind for Ipswich.

Cesarcollie

Brilliant, thanks for the update! Keep us posted on the further arrivals please. I wonder if they’ll all receive the generic branding or some for specific corridors like the Swift?

Huge investment and commitment from First into its Ipswich operations. Would be great to see them slowly start re-expanding into old (or indeed new) territory in Ipswich/Suffolk again. With First Essex encroaching onto Arrivas patches in Colchester maybe they have a similar approach in mind for Ipswich.

I suspect the pragmatic reality is that the 2003 deckers couldn’t carry on, and there are very few newer lowheight buses in First available to cascade. The options were therefore:
1. Convert the workings to single deck (presumably considered but decided unworkabl)
2. Discontinue the routes involved - presumably too valuable
3. Raise the depot roof to allow a cascade or purchase of newer highbridge deckers
4. Buy new lowheight!

The costs of 3 vs 4 will have been evaluated, and 4 was cheaper! (I believe the Ipswich depot is only rented, which won’t help the capex approval).

dlp_888

Is Ipswich Depot about to gain the 4 and 14 tenders from Ipswich Buses?

Yes and yes, although the 4 is just the Sunday service. Contracts transfer from Ipswich Buses to Ipswich Reds on 30/31 October 2022.
The 14 will likely work-in with the recently gained 975 (Felixstowe-Nacton/Levington/Waldringfield-Kesgrave) school contract - i'd be expecting an additional "short" E200 to be transferred in from somewhere at some point to operate the 14 service.

83G/84D

Established Member
Just “driver talk” but was told yesterday that the first new Streetdeck for Ipswich is due next week.

Anyone local able to add anything or correct if necessary?

dlp_888

Just “driver talk” but was told yesterday that the first new Streetdeck for Ipswich is due next week.

Anyone local able to add anything or correct if necessary?

StreetDecks 35912 (BN72 TVD) and 35913 (BN72 TVE) arrived at Ipswich depot this afternoon (after initial delivery to Norwich), with a third due to be collected this evening.

There will be one StreetDeck parked at Ipswich's Old Cattle Market bus station throughout tomorrow for driver training, publicity etc. All 3 should be in public use by end of the week.