• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Eastern Counties

buslad1988

A bus has been spotted, supposedly for First West of England. My instinct tells me it's one of the Scanias for Excel, because of the livery, and it also looks to have higher standard seats. Here's the photo link anyway.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/122507681@N02/49039296078/

Confirmed. Definitely for FEC’s excel service. Another photo now appeared on twitter with FEC legals.

Excited to see what the final branded up version looks like! I’m surprised they’ve moved away from Firsts standard stripes livery (as per Ipswich reds/Network Norwich schemes).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chubs

Confirmed. Definitely for FEC’s excel service. Another photo now appeared on twitter with FEC legals.

Excited to see what the final branded up version looks like! I’m surprised they’ve moved away from Firsts standard stripes livery (as per Ipswich reds/Network Norwich schemes).

Current excel livery is nothing like the standard First standard livery either though.

Would be nice to see the displaced current excel buses replace some of the clapped out junk trundling through Norwich but suspect they'll be transferred away.

Volvodart

Established Member
Usually the area would get to keep some if not all the replaced buses.

borage

Some information about the new Excel buses on the First website now, including a picture of a red Enviro400 City headlight: https://www.firstgroup.com/norfolk-...-standard-travel-comfort-arriving-spring-2020
We’re so excited to announce the arrival of a brand-new fleet of high-specification double deck buses for excel, due to take to the road in early Spring 2020.

Built as a unique combination of a Scania Euro VI diesel chassis and stylish, modern bodywork from Alexander Dennis, we’ve worked with some of the bus industry’s leading designers, suppliers and manufacturers over the last two years to bring you a bus designed and built especially for excel.

The Scania chassis, with its’ 9-litre engine, is designed to deliver outstanding performance, reliability, fuel economy and safety on longer and more demanding routes, whilst meeting the highest current industry emissions standards.

MrGriff500

Lots of problems in Norwich recently. Long delays in the peak. Clapped out ancient single deckers subbing for services that are usually a newer double decker. Some services not turning up at all.

Things were going so well for a while.

Might be because all of the B7L’s from Yarmouth have transferred to Norwich, final being 66334. They’re tired but still reliable and dependable. Also a fair few StreetLites are off the road with faults so better to have these Eclipses still about.

buslad1988

Might be because all of the B7L’s from Yarmouth have transferred to Norwich, final being 66334. They’re tired but still reliable and dependable. Also a fair few StreetLites are off the road with faults so better to have these Eclipses still about.

I’m guessing StreetLites off the road is potentially due to the issues with Wrightbus warranty/parts when they went bust. Possibly just a case of the new owners still playing catch up.

buslad1988

News from Ipswich is Volvo B7TL 32494 struck the Ipswich Hospital building for the second time in its history (same bus, same place in 2012). Ipswich Buses have had similar incidents too.

Seems the bus was on a contract as First no longer serve the Hospital grounds.

Unsure if it’ll be repaired or not. 53 plates are getting Ipswich Reds livery and I don’t think there’s any more low height DD’s available to transfer in. The garage cannot accommodate full height DD’s.

After a series of incidents (usually caused by bus drivers having to manoeuvre around badly parked vehicles and the canopy being obscured from view in DD’s) bollards were going to be put in place but the Hospital wanted to charge the bus companies for the pleasure! No surprise First pulled buses from the site. It’s a very bad design.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/bus-hits-ipswich-hospital-accident-and-emergency-1-6433899

dlp_888

Worth pointing out that this is actually the THIRD time 32494 (AU53HKM) has suffered damage to its upper deck, the first being a bridge strike at Bramford in 2006.

Other news from Ipswich depot - 32481 is the latest bus to receive Ipswich Reds livery. 32487/66987/44928 have all recently received replacement engines, 32491 has also had engine repairs (head gasket). Enviros 44516-44519 continue to cause problems here, often with 3 off the road at any one time with various defects. "Felixstowe Flyer" Volvo 69425 continues to have reliability issues and is restricted to local "Town" services.

buslad1988

Don't recollect an Ipswich Buses vehicle ever colliding with it.

Just seen this update https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich-hospital-bus-crash-update-1-6435524

If I remember correctly it was one of IB’s Lowlanders which had the same accident at the Hospital (although not as much extensive damage). I know the driver who did it and I don't think it made the press at the time... funny that IB generally avoid receiving any bad press in their local rag. But definitely did happen.

Thanks for the update too, shame how’s it always when you’re going the extra mile to help someone that things like this happen!

_sSamuel

I was looking on bustimes.org today and apparentley the 88 is getting a timetable change (again).
upload_2019-12-29_12-9-16.png
I was wondering if anyone knew what the changes will be, I understand that this could be a mistake or a very small service change considering the route was heavily changed in September.

buslad1988

I was looking on bustimes.org today and apparentley the 88 is getting a timetable change (again).
View attachment 72151
I was wondering if anyone knew what the changes will be, I understand that this could be a mistake or a very small service change considering the route was heavily changed in September.
I’d say that’s a mistake - service changes aren’t usually notified that far in advance... that’s 5 months time!

They did a temporary change recently due to ongoing roadworks to combat reliability issues but believe its back to normal now.

Hopefully it’s picking up on the 88 now with the simplified route and extension to new housing schemes in Stowmarket (a town with terrible bus services, many estates unserved and no direct links to superstores etc). There’s also a new housing development appearing on the outskirts of Ipswich they’ll be able to gain some custom from too.

MrGriff500

Not sure if I mentioned but the final Great Yarmouth B7L, 66334 has transferred to Norwich with the rest, I am hearing from inside First that they want to keep them around longer as they’re the most reliable ones we have at the moment.

The ALX400’s have gotten to a severe state, as yesterday I travelled on 32061 (W221XBD), this is in limp mode and isn’t being fixed. Now tops out at about 40mph.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Murmuring on Firstbus Enthusiasts that FEC are due some more YJ06-reg B7TL/Geminis from West Yorkshire in the next few weeks. I presume these will be for Yarmouth to finally replace the W-reg ALX400. 37043/44 have been here a while and are two of the smartest vehicles in the fleet (amazing given they have to operate in Yarmouth :lol:)

With the new Excel Scanias likely to set off a cascade which will kill off most of Norwich's Presidents, it looks like the average fleet age for FEC is going to tumble a bit.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Murmuring on Firstbus Enthusiasts that FEC are due some more YJ06-reg B7TL/Geminis from West Yorkshire in the next few weeks. I presume these will be for Yarmouth to finally replace the W-reg ALX400. 37043/44 have been here a while and are two of the smartest vehicles in the fleet (amazing given they have to operate in Yarmouth :lol:)

With the new Excel Scanias likely to set off a cascade which will kill off most of Norwich's Presidents, it looks like the average fleet age for FEC is going to tumble a bit.
West Yorkshire 37021-5/34/35 to go to Eastern Counties/Essex according to the SOUTH Yorkshire Transport Forum.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Quick question. The new Excel fleet is reported on U.K. Buses as just 13 vehicles. Is that confirmed?

Wonder if Norwich’s B7TL Presidents might be retained to replace the W reg relics on schools work?

aswilliamsuk

Quick question. The new Excel fleet is reported on U.K. Buses as just 13 vehicles. Is that confirmed?

Wonder if Norwich’s B7TL Presidents might be retained to replace the W reg relics on schools work?

19 have been quoted elsewhere, which also seems higher than the 16 I would expected - 36901-19 (East Norfolk Bus News have also quoted the registrations booked). Essex are due 36837-44 (standard Scania/ADL E400 MMC, rather than the City variant FEC are getting) for the X10/X30 Stansted routes. UK Buses info is often questionable and I don't take it as gospel.

With these and the handful of ex-FWY Geminis now coming, these should sweep away a lot of the older fleet, whether that is the ex-London Presidents or the elderly W-reg ALX400s - or a mix of both - remains to be seen.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
19 have been quoted elsewhere, which also seems higher than the 16 I would expected - 36901-19 (East Norfolk Bus News have also quoted the registrations booked). Essex are due 36837-44 (standard Scania/ADL E400 MMC, rather than the City variant FEC are getting) for the X10/X30 Stansted routes. UK Buses info is often questionable and I don't take it as gospel.

With these and the handful of ex-FWY Geminis now coming, these should sweep away a lot of the older fleet, whether that is the ex-London Presidents or the elderly W-reg ALX400s - or a mix of both - remains to be seen.

I always treat UK Buses with caution - hence the question!! The info you’ve quoted sounds much more likely.

I was thinking that Yarmouth and Lowestoft will continue to have a need for older deckers and that those 20 yr old machines might be for the chop. The President B7s might be a suitable replacement and clear out the old Tridents too. The B7Ls must also be under threat too.

Volvodart

Established Member
Norwich could get 50 new buses if bid for transport cash millions succeeds

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politi...-55-new-first-buses-if-bid-succeeds-1-64654585
15 January, 2020 - 06:00

First could invest in more than 50 new buses if a multi-million pound bid for government cash succeeds.

A successful bid for millions of pounds of government cash could trigger an £18m investment in more than 50 new buses and almost 70 refurbished vehicles in and around Norwich.

As further details were released about Norfolk County Council's submission for up to £170m from the government's Transforming Cities pot, First bosses have detailed what they would be prepared to invest in its fleet should the bid, which would pay for extra bus lanes and bus stops, be successful.

Norwich is one of a dozen cities which bid for a share of the £1.2bn fund and for some of a separate £90m Future Mobility Fund to cut single occupancy car use.

Council leaders say a successful bid would boost Norfolk's economy by more than £100m a year.

The government is due to announce how much cities will get in March and bosses at First have revealed what they would spend if the council's bid secures millions of pounds.

Giles Fearnley, First's managing director, said £18m would be invested, including 55 new buses along four routes - the blue line from the city centre to the University of East Anglia, the pink line from Sprowston to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, the red line from Easton to Rackheath and the purple line to and from Norwich Airport.

Those buses would be more environmentally friendly, Euro VI vehicles.

And a further 67 refurbished or newer vehicles would be brought in on other routes. It would mean First could remove all the older Euro III and Euro IV vehicles from its Norwich fleet.

All buses would have audio and visual announcements of the next stops, with USB charging points.

Mr Fearnley said if extra money, such as from the Green Bus Fund, can be obtained, there was even the possibility of electric buses on blue and pink lines.

He said, in a letter of support backing the council's bid to the Department for Transport: "The fact that such a large proportion of the bid is supporting bus measures is very much welcomed and is the main reason for the level of investment detailed."

Konectbus is also keen to provide extra services into the evenings, while the bid has support from organisations including Sanders Coaches, Greater Anglia, the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, the University of East Anglia, Norwich Airport and Norfolk Chamber of Commerce.

Martin Wilby, cabinet member for highways and infrastructure at Norfolk County Council, said: "This funding bid has the potential to deliver investment in sustainable transport infrastructure on an unprecedented scale, transforming how people travel around Norwich, boost the local economy and deliver real benefit in terms of health, employment and the environment for years to come.

"The level of support shown for our proposals is testament to the partnership approach that has got us to this point and the commitment to invest shown by bus operators is a clear indication of confidence in our joint approach to delivery."

The council's bid included three programmes - for £167m, for £99.5m and for £83.9m. Council officers took a pragmatic approach to try to provide deliverable schemes, so hope to get at least £83.9m.

What are some of the proposals?

image.jpg
Chris Starkie, managing director of the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership. Picture: Angela Sharpe

- An £8.2m revamp for St Stephens Street and Castle Meadow, changing kerb lines to make it easier for buses to pick up and drop off passengers.

- More than £2m to extend the bus lane on Wroxham Road and improve paths and £1.4m for new bus lanes in Sprowston Road.

- £3.1m to improve Norwich's Foundry bridge junction, potentially banning general traffic from Thorpe Road between Riverside Road and Lower Clarence Road.

- More than 30 new 'mobility hubs' - where people would head to use various sorts of public transport.

- Just over £2m for a new public transport, pedestrian and cycling route between Norwich Airport and the airport industrial estate.

- More than £4m to improve Magdalen Street, with better pedestrian crossings, wider pavements and better bus stops.

- £13.3m to provide a new transport link across the Yare Valley, to create a connection for buses, pedestrians and cyclists from the University of East Anglia to the Norwich Research Park

- Just over £1.1m for better access at Wymondham railway station.

- Almost £1m to increase Norfolk Car Club spaces in Norwich city centre.

What do people say?

Chris Speed, head of operations at First Eastern Counties, said: " These are exciting times ahead for the region's public transport.

"First Eastern Counties has been working closely with Norfolk County Council on many opportunities that could transform the attractiveness of public transport in the region.

"We have already made great strides in expanding our bus network, upgrading our fleet of buses and improving how customers pay for their travel with the introduction of contactless and mTicket payments which have been very successful and are now responsible for over 60pc of all transactions on bus and we will look to build on this further should government funding be awarded."

Stefan Gurney, executive director of The Norwich Business Improvement District said: "We see these proposals as a necessity to support the future growth aspirations of the city and business community and will improve social mobility for all residents through better access to education and employment.

Chris Starkie, chief executive of New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership, said: "This bid pinpoints key commuter corridors and shows how, by delivering more sustainable transport routes, we can improve access to jobs and training, boost social inclusion and improve air quality in the city."

Mike Stonard, Norwich City Council's cabinet member with responsibility for transport, said: "Investment in public transport is vital to support Greater Norwich as it grows and these proposals could make a significant difference to the quality of major bus routes into the city.

"Building on recent investment in the pedalways we can also look forward to an even better sustainable transport network for Norwich."

South Norfolk Council leader John Fuller said: "This is a massive boost for the area and local economy.

"The funding has the potential to greatly increase access to jobs, reduce congestion and improve our air quality. It will enable us to improve public transport links to our key employment sites around Norwich, such as the Norwich Research Park, the University of East Anglia and the hospital, and provide better integration of the tech corridor with the city transport network, giving local people much greater access to employment opportunities."

Shaun Vincent, leader of Broadland District Council, said: "This opportunity is another step in the right direction to drive economic success in the Greater Norwich area and match the demands of the business community.

"Economic growth is our priority and the potential for improved connectivity through this funding can only support this."

What could it mean?

The council says the Transforming Cities programme would:

- Increase the number of people using buses in Greater Norwich by 6pc - 4,000 extra bus trips each day

- Twenty per cent increase in number of people using park and ride

- 6.6 miles of new bus lane

- 7.2 miles of new cycle lanes, of which 4.4 miles would be new segregated lanes

- Sixty upgraded bus stops and 24 new bus stops as part of the network of mobility hubs

- Almost 100 junctions with traffic light priority for buses

- Reduced air pollution - cuts of 15pc, 18pc and 16pc in nitrogen dioxide levels in Castle Meadow, Norwich Railway Station and Chapel Field Road

- Reduction of 1,600 tonnes in greenhouse gases emissions per year within the city region

- Removing 3,900 single occupancy vehicles from roads in the morning rush hour

buslad1988

Norwich could get 50 new buses if bid for transport cash millions succeeds

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politi...-55-new-first-buses-if-bid-succeeds-1-64654585

Wow! Here’s hoping the bid is successful... it’s just the shot in the arm the bus industry needs in East Anglia. Also think of the knock on effect too for cascades with other depots receiving Norwich’s older buses. Fingers crossed this gets the go ahead!

Speaking of which go ahead (as part of these plans) only want to have some services running later into the evening?! That’s a bit abismal isn’t it? Surely they need new buses just like First.

Volvodart

Established Member
19 have been quoted elsewhere, which also seems higher than the 16 I would expected - 36901-19 (East Norfolk Bus News have also quoted the registrations booked). Essex are due 36837-44 (standard Scania/ADL E400 MMC, rather than the City variant FEC are getting) for the X10/X30 Stansted routes.

It has been confirmed that 7 are going to Essex.

borage

Lots of fascinating reading material about the bid: https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/roads-an...ment-projects/transforming-cities-application First's letter promises "touch on, touch off" ticketing too. Also, this "complementary spend":
Code:
             |                         | 000s
-------------|-------------------------|--------
Commercially | XL Norwich - Kings Lynn | £5,300
Confidential | - Peterborough Service  |
Not sure if that's just the new Scanias that have already been bought, or additional additional investment.

Speaking of which go ahead (as part of these plans) only want to have some services running later into the evening?! That’s a bit abismal isn’t it? Surely they need new buses just like First.
From their letter of support:
We do not provide the main network of local bus services on any of the proposed improved public transport corridors, other than on Yarmouth Road where we already provide a 15 minute frequency service with new Euro 6 buses which we have invested in to show our support for the current strategy and the first round of TCF funding.
[...]
Most of our other operations are longer distance semi-rural routes which are not integral to the frequencies on the main corridors of the TCF bid and consequently the precise impact of the improvements is difficult to estimate. We would propose to share data on the performance of these routes post-improvements with NCC and to devise a plan for progressive upgrades as revenue increases and journey times remain consistent.

robert west

37061 now at great Yarmouth according to east Suffolk blog
says was used at Essex any one know where
37053 was on route 70 at Colchester tonight with Colchester depot sticker and put into use in as acquired condition with loads of dirt on side and old Halifax branding removed but visible in the dirt

dlp_888

Ipswich update:

Volvo B7TL/ALX400 32475 (AU53 HJJ) is the latest arrival at Ipswich depot, transfered in from Colchester.
32480 is the next bus due back from repaint into "Ipswich Reds" livery.
32651 is back in service following engine repairs and is now fitted with Tacho for use on Bernard Matthews contract work alongside 32491/32652.
69011 is off for MOT, 66986 due next.

To clear up any earlier confusion with the new Scania N250UD/ADL Enviro 400 City's for "Excel/XL" @ Kings Lynn, the total due is 19 - these are due to enter service on Sunday 16th February. Details of the revised service pattern/timetable should be available online this coming week.

aswilliamsuk

@dlp_888 thanks for the update.

I have the following in Ipswich Reds livery currently (including the repaint mentioned above), am I missing any?

32480/81/87/90, 32651/52/54, 44516-19, 67406, 67763, 69007-09, 69422-28

stuart81

Ipswich update:

Volvo B7TL/ALX400 32475 (AU53 HJJ) is the latest arrival at Ipswich depot, transfered in from Colchester.
32480 is the next bus due back from repaint into "Ipswich Reds" livery.
32651 is back in service following engine repairs and is now fitted with Tacho for use on Bernard Matthews contract work alongside 32491/32652.
69011 is off for MOT, 66986 due next.

To clear up any earlier confusion with the new Scania N250UD/ADL Enviro 400 City's for "Excel/XL" @ Kings Lynn, the total due is 19 - these are due to enter service on Sunday 16th February. Details of the revised service pattern/timetable should be available online this coming week.

Didn't know Ipswich were doing BM work, has this been going on long? Theres a few B7TL and B7RLE starting to sound quite ropey!