• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western luggage space

Status
Not open for further replies.

atolepnauj

Hello all

I'm travelling from Bristol to London tomorrow and plan on taking my folded down road bike (not a folding bike, just a broken down full size bike). I talked to a FGW employee at London and was told they have a maximum wheel size on folded or broken down bikes, which mine exceeds, but he also told me that if it fits into the larger luggage rack at the end of the carriage it'll be fine. My question is, does anyone know if the luggage racks are of decent size on the HST? Can't find a single picture on the web of one. I'm travelling in coach F, if that helps.

PS, I have done this many, many times on Cross Country and my folded down bike fits just fine at the bottom of the luggage racks.

Kind regards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Why not put it in the bike shed in coach A, that way it is out of everybody's way, leaving the luggage rack for luggage (especially if it is one of the oversized folding bikes that are really too big). There will be plenty of time at both Bristol and Paddington to sort it out (and if it's my train you are on and it's too big it will be moved regardless).

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
I'm going on the Tube when I get to London then another train so simply don't fancy wheeling a massive bike around :D

If it's a full size bike in pieces, it'll still have to go in the bike shed. No if's or but's.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm travelling from Bristol to London tomorrow and plan on taking my folded down road bike (not a folding bike, just a broken down full size bike).
I second what Flamingo posted - put it in Coach A and collect it at Paddington. You won't have to worry about if it'll fit or not and you won't get any complaints from other customers who can't get their case in the luggage rack because of 'this damned bike'.

atolepnauj

If it's a full size bike in pieces, it'll still have to go in the bike shed. No if's or but's.

Okay, thanks. Would you recommend I reserve a space or just turn up and talk to one of the platform staff? I highly doubt at 12:03 tomorrow there will be many people in first class, or the whole train for that matter.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I second what Flamingo posted - put it in Coach A and collect it at Paddington. You won't have to worry about if it'll fit or not and you won't get any complaints from other customers who can't get their case in the luggage rack because of 'this damned bike'.

LOL, thanks - will do.

Flamingo

Established Member
Are you going for a train around midday? The 11.30 from Temple Meads is usually a quiet train, as it starts in Bristol, and if there is difficulty getting a space in the bike van, talk nicely to the guard and they should have time to put it in the rear power-car for you.

atolepnauj

Are you going for a train around midday? The 11.30 from Temple Meads is usually a quiet train, as it starts in Bristol, and if there is difficulty getting a space in the bike van, talk nicely to the guard and they should have time to put it in the rear power-car for you.

The

Yeah 12:03 from Bristol Parkway.

MyFriendMary

If you have the time, book a spot!

There's been a few times I've had to tell people sorry no space. Save yourself the trouble and book a space as to avoid any disappointment. It only takes a family of 6 travelling to Bath Spa to scupper your plans of turning up and putting it in the bike cab.

Also, in getting it into the bike cab, you don't have to worry about anyone pinching the thing :P

Flamingo

Established Member
Ok, time will be a bit more of an issue then. That train will have come from Swansea, so may be a bit busier, the 12.31 will have come from Cardiff so may be quieter. Check which end First Class is, the bikes go at the opposite end (usually right to the very end of the Welsh end of the platform -there is a sign). Be ready to load it in, and don't take your time about it, the train will be waiting to go! Get to the station in plenty of time.
Also, in getting it into the bike cab, you don't have to worry about anyone pinching the thing :P
Unfortunately, I have once seen a ratty old mountain bike loaded in at Bridgend, and a nice new one taken out at Cardiff. While locking the bike to the train is not allowed for many reasons, personally I recommend putting a lock on the frame & wheels as it does discourage this happening.

Last edited:

MyFriendMary

Unfortunately, I have once seen a ratty old mountain bike loaded in at Bridgend, and a nice new one taken out at Cardiff. While locking the bike to the train is not allowed for many reasons, personally I recommend putting a lock on the frame & wheels as it does discourage this happening.

You'd let me lock it onto it though... right ;)

atolepnauj

With regards to locks, I always place my U lock around the frame and wheels for security and also to stop it from falling apart in case the gaffa tape breaks :)

I'm in coach G, so basically at the opposite end of the train. So if I wait at coach A end, load the bike on, then just get on the train and walk the full length then I should be okay. The train also terminates at Paddington so provided I'm ready by coach B or whatever as it's arriving I won't be holding it up.

Now to phone up customer services and try to book a last minute space :D

Flamingo

Established Member
As long as it is possible to pick the bike up and throw it out of the way as
1. the bike shed is an evacuation route and we have to be able to clear the way and
2. I once had to take somebody to London who wanted to get off at Cardiff, but they had locked an expensive bike to the train, and then lost the key!
With regards to locks, I always place my U lock around the frame and wheels for security and also to stop it from falling apart in case the gaffa tape breaks :)

I'm in coach G, so basically at the opposite end of the train. So if I wait at coach A end, load the bike on, then just get on the train and walk the full length then I should be okay. The train also terminates at Paddington so provided I'm ready by coach B or whatever as it's arriving I won't be holding it up.

Now to phone up customer services and try to book a last minute space :D

Perfect! Have a good trip!

Don't worry too much at Pad, there is usually a 30-minute turn-around time, but if you are there it stops somebody nicking it!

Last edited:

atolepnauj

As long as it is possible to pick the bike up and throw it out of the way as
1. the bike shed is an evacuation route and we have to be able to clear the way and
2. I once had to take somebody to London who wanted to get off at Cardiff, but they had locked an expensive bike to the train, and then lost the key!

Perfect! Have a good trip!

Don't worry too much at Pad, there is usually a 30-minute turn-around time, but if you are there it stops somebody nicking it!

Thanks for your help :) Managed to successfully book a space. One more question - I'm leaving the bike broken down, will that be alright to put in the bike van bit from your experience?

Flamingo

Established Member
Thanks for your help :) Managed to successfully book a space. One more question - I'm leaving the bike broken down, will that be alright to put in the bike van bit from your experience?

Yea, not a problem, we often get them that way.

atolepnauj

No prob. Enjoy your trip :lol:

Afterthought, if you need tools in Pad, there are sets of tools and a pump available at the bike rack on plat 9.

Oh cool, thanks. I'm bringing the basic spanner and allen keys and stuff down anyway as it's the first time bringing my bike to my new place in London, but the pump will definitely come in handy :D

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Daft question, but where are you travelling from after Paddington? I'd be tempted to leave the bike in one piece and ride it instead of taking the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.