• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilv

Hi Skilv,

The GB went fine, the key was to be accurate and consistent.
I let myself down by being too accurate on the trainability parts 1&2, where you are not marked down for incorrect answers. This is where I ran out of time..

This was my first time at a assessment, have a much better appreciation of whats expected for the next time, and consider it a bonus that my 2 lives are intact.
On that topic has it been confirmed when the tests will change? I read somewhere that it could be October.

Thanks, T

That's a shame pal, are you already on the railway or are you external ?

Chap I spoke to from FGW said it depends on the person specific if they get placed on hold, I guess if you were internal with borderline passes you'll have more of a chance to jump through the hoops.

With SWT I've been told that, regardless of the fact that I have passed the assessments, if I end up being called by them.. Ill have to sit the new procedure !

Nothing can be straight forward can it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

charlie873

Is there anybody else who attended the first stage assessments at Reading on the 30th May who hasn't heard anything? They must have marked them all by now. I'm beginning to think they may have lost the results or something.

PSFGW

Is there anybody else who attended the first stage assessments at Reading on the 30th May who hasn't heard anything? They must have marked them all by now. I'm beginning to think they may have lost the results or something.
@Charlie873 - Hello mate I went to the same assessment as you did I guess, but still waiting for my result. Did you make it to the second stage? I went to take the second assessment on the 13th of June at Reading and did the usual - (reaction & co-ordination test / structured interview) - since then I haven't heard anything from FGW. I did email them twice asking for an update but each time they came back saying that they haven't received the marked tests from the HO. So I don't know exactly why are they taking this long. May be they just haven't got the resources to deal with this many applications. Bear in mind on average there are 300 applications per position so the competition is definitely fierce. Wish you all the best though!!

lordturns

Hi Charlie,

I had my first stage assessments on the 2nd May and have not heard a dickie bird.....have emailed twice and telephoned and just get the typical 'we will let you know when we know'. I am left thinking that I have not made it through, as some people on here have already done their second stages already. Perhaps I am lost in the ether too....either way it would be nice to know where we all stand in the process. I have applied for other TOCs in the meantime....

Last edited:

welshjpc

Was in the Penta, Reading on 30 May, and (after much waiting) have just received my congratulation email, I passed the 1st assessments! Get in. The email says that they are in the process of organizing stage 2.

Happy days. :D

rob12

wow unbelievable, read your post checked my emails and guess what........... Congratulations and we are organizing stage 2 assessments, mate that is great news really thought I had flunked it because of the time but hey stage 2 here I come can't wait just hope it's not gonna be a 12 month wait

Cooke2711

I sat my first assessment on the 30th May at Plenta house as well and After reading these last few posts I decided to check my status on the FGW website not really holding out much hope and my status now reads successful at full assessments. Well chuffed lets hope the DM interview isn't to far behind. Also congratulations to all those who have also had positive emails and fingers crossed for all that are still waiting.

Nuttytoffee

For those waiting for results, I too had to wait for my results from stage 1 for nearly 4 months. I am now 5 months into the course. There's always hope.

Aviator88

Congratulations everybody :)

I was at the Penta on the 30th and also just received the good news!

Last edited:

rob12

Does anybody know what type of questions you get asked at stage 2? and if so is anybody willing to divulge if your not then I understand :lol:

lordturns

I checked the FGW website for an update yesterday and on the status it said - 'vacancy filled' and still no results from stage one....gave them a call and queried this, spoke to someone who was very helpful and he said they are just transferring much of the process across to their new site and if anything not to be overly concerned with this is they are still awaiting many sets of results over the next few weeks.

Anybody else had this?

daddy_badger

nope, mine hasn't changed since I sat stage 2 and not had the results. much has happened since then as I have now moved jobs, should prove interesting if fgw get back to me.

lordturns

nope, mine hasn't changed since I sat stage 2 and not had the results. much has happened since then as I have now moved jobs, should prove interesting if fgw get back to me.

Hi....seeing your nickname 'daddy badger' (aspiring pot noodle) always makes me grin - so funny. I can only imagine how many of us are stuck limbo.

rkamwendo

I was given a DM interview two days after this so I'm presuming its not a factor. There is a lot planned for the great western line in the future with IEP and electrification, hoping that has more to do with the need for drivers.

Thanks very much, I got Reading depot.

Hey Puremetal... what sort of questions did they ask you at the DM? I got mine next week wednesday:lol:

daddy_badger

Hi....seeing your nickname 'daddy badger' (aspiring pot noodle) always makes me grin - so funny. I can only imagine how many of us are stuck limbo.

humoured indeed, its almost like fishing you get a bite and you have mammoth fish on the hook that just don't want to let go, in two ways I am that angler and the fish. in limbo perhaps determined most definite.

there's a not so interesting story behind my username.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Did you ever call them to see what they are playing at DB? I know it's a small recruitment team but it is a strange way they go about things sometimes

Quickthorn

welshjpc

I've been invited to Newport for my stage 2 (reaction test & interview) on Thursday 29th August, a little short notice for my work but needs must and all that!

Eep! :D

anthony263

Established Member
Had a email from First today after I applied for the latest trainiee driver vacancies at Gloucester and was told that my application is on hold although I have passed the 1st stage asessments

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Had a email from First today after I applied for the latest trainiee driver vacancies at Gloucester and was told that my application is on hold although I have passed the 1st stage asessments

Your bristol app or Gloucester app is on hold?

Class73

Had my telephone interview with FGW a few days ago- for anyone who might be interested in the format it was something like this:

1. outsourced company call you and tell you it is 15 minutes long then proceed to tell you the history of FGW and some company info;

2. The discussion is divided into a. motivation and b. customer service elements;

3. MOTIVATION - They ask you what you know about FGW; what the job involves but nothing about why you want the job and why you would be suitable;

4. Customer Service - You must give an example of a time when you provided outstanding customer service from which example they ask further exploratory questions;

5. They ask you if you have any questions and it ends

6. 2-3 week wait for result

Status
Not open for further replies.