• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crompton Karl

Where is this advertised? Can't see it on first group careers website.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ignore above post, found it. Cheers.

anthony263

Established Member
Seen this and I have put an application in for this.

Certainly driving trains is a job I have wanted to do from a young age so I do hope I get some good luck.

mindthedoors

They must be completely inundated with applications submitted over the last year or so, i'm suprised this has popped up yet again! I may have a go at this position this time round.. how hard can it be? ;)

NHG66

Would it be frowned upon to apply for this with another application still open?

Why would it, its only an application after all. There is no guarantee that the other one will come off. I know of one person who applied for First TPE and FGW, did not make the shortlist for TPE but got a trainee drivers position at FGW. You can withdraw your application at any stage.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Would it be frowned upon to apply for this with another application still open?

Do you mean an open application with FGW for a trainee driver or a different TOC?

If its FGW then is there any point to applying again for effectively the same job, it just means another application that HR have to trawl through and slow an already slow process!

If its another TOC then I don't see why not.

jc1

I applied last August my online status still says awaiting shortlisting.This really does my head in.

W230

Established Member
I applied last August my online status still says awaiting shortlisting.This really does my head in.
This happned to me a couple of years ago jc1. I was "awaiting shortlisting" for ages. I think it wasn't helped by the fact that I applied right at the end of the application date. When FGW started recruiting again they sent me an email to advise me to reapply if I was still interested.

I'd applied for (and now work for) another TOC in the meantime though so never followed it up.

mindthedoors

So I've applied for a position at London Paddington and i was wondering..

What routes are covered by the drivers here?
What sort of night shifts do they do?
Why are there so many positions to fill?

anthony263

Established Member
Well one route would be London Paddington - Greenford.

One reason why FGW are recruiting drivers, could be drivers retiring or expecting to retire over the next few years.

Another reason could be expansion such as additional services especially with the up coming electrification projects with a new Reading - Milton Keynes/Bedford and the extra London - Bristol services

Red18

I thought I would join rather than lurk so Hi Forum.

I'm going to thow my hat into the ring with FGW for the trainee driver job.
Does anyone know if drivers sign on for HST at Bristol or is this usually at the London stations?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I thought I would join rather than lurk so Hi Forum.

I'm going to thow my hat into the ring with FGW for the trainee driver job.
Does anyone know if drivers sign on for HST at Bristol or is this usually at the London stations?

Hi Red 18,

I have applied too, best of luck to you.
Yes they do but apparently trainees usually start on local work and traction then progress up towards High Speed links.

Red18

Thanks Dave, that makes sense really doesn't it?
Did you apply for Bristol too?

I don't know about you but I quite like the fact that the job is only advertised for a few days. It really focuses the mind knowing you only have a short time to complete the application.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Yeah I went for Bristol

Be prepared for a long wait though judging by some threads :|

Red18

Yes, absolutely.
Although they do potentially have a lot of recruiting to do over the next few years so maybe they'll hurry things along a little bit.
It would be interesting to see if they are recruiting extra HR staff at some point.

Good luck with your application anyway. Let's see what happens.

Shaggy

Hi Red 18,

I have applied too, best of luck to you.
Yes they do but apparently trainees usually start on local work and traction then progress up towards High Speed links.

There are two very distinct setups for drivers at Paddington (and indeed throughout FGW). There is LTV (London Thames Valley) and also High Speed Service (HSS) (also West in the West Country). I don't know of any new drivers who start straight into HSS but it may well happen.

The vast majority of new drivers at Paddington will be LTV. Signing turbos (a small amount sign HSTs) to Greenford, Old Oak Common Depot, Reading (including intermediate branches), Bedwyn and Oxford. Some may sign to Banbury and also to Worcester (happy to be corrected on this).

Paddington HSS Drivers should sign HSTs to Old Oak Common, Bristol TM, Exeter and Plymouth (via Box and the B&H). Also to Oxford, Worcester, Cheltenham/Gloucester and Swansea. Some drivers will sign 57s and fewer still sign 08s.

The two sets of drivers at Paddington live very separate lives and don't tend to mix and interact too much in mess rooms etc. I don't think there's any animosity, however the difference between the two sections is more than just progressing links etc. They have different working agreements and pay etc.

TDK

Established Member
There are two very distinct setups for drivers at Paddington (and indeed throughout FGW). There is LTV (London Thames Valley) and also High Speed Service (HSS) (also West in the West Country). I don't know of any new drivers who start straight into HSS but it may well happen.

The vast majority of new drivers at Paddington will be LTV. Signing turbos (a small amount sign HSTs) to Greenford, Old Oak Common Depot, Reading (including intermediate branches), Bedwyn and Oxford. Some may sign to Banbury and also to Worcester (happy to be corrected on this).

Paddington HSS Drivers should sign HSTs to Old Oak Common, Bristol TM, Exeter and Plymouth (via Box and the B&H). Also to Oxford, Worcester, Cheltenham/Gloucester and Swansea. Some drivers will sign 57s and fewer still sign 08s.

The two sets of drivers at Paddington live very separate lives and don't tend to mix and interact too much in mess rooms etc. I don't think there's any animosity, however the difference between the two sections is more than just progressing links etc. They have different working agreements and pay etc.

There will be a starter link. This will be limited traction with limited routes. A friend of mine waited 5 years to progress to HSS and tells me it is a dead mans shoes link

Shaggy

There will be a starter link. This will be limited traction with limited routes. A friend of mine waited 5 years to progress to HSS and tells me it is a dead mans shoes link

It will be a starter link for LTV. They will sign 165/166s and as you say have limited route knowledge to begin with but that will progress in time.

Red18

Thanks for the info Shaggy & TDK. Any idea what a new driver at Bristol might be signing?

TPA

Sorry to bang in here but i'm planning to apply for a trainee job but at 48 i'm wondering whether i'm way too old to get a look in. Can anybody out there give me an honest assessment of my chances?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Please look on the Transpennine thread, there is a member that is in late fifties down to the last stage.

anthony263

Established Member
Thanks for the info Shaggy & TDK. Any idea what a new driver at Bristol might be signing?

Units currently found on local routes around Bristol include class 150/1, 150/2, class 153's & class 158's.

In the future it is likely we wil see some of the class 165/166's currently deployed in the Thames Valley & Reading area' working a few of the local routes around Bristol.

Perhaps a possibility of emu's in the future as well

Mutley

I am 53 and made it all the way through to driver manager interview.....now just twiddling my thumbs waiting for a result......been eight weeks now. So at 48 i think your age would not be the obstacle.

Shaggy

Units currently found on local routes around Bristol include class 150/1, 150/2, class 153's & class 158's.

In the future it is likely we wil see some of the class 165/166's currently deployed in the Thames Valley & Reading area' working a few of the local routes around Bristol.

Perhaps a possibility of emu's in the future as well

Correct but not for at least a few years will the Turbos head West.

Bristol West drivers will (I think) sign to Cardiff, Westbury, Severn Beach, Taunton and some to Weymouth. This is not exhaustive as I know more about HSS.

Bristol HSS drivers sign HSTs (some ex-West drivers keep up their DMU knowledge) to roughly the same destinations as drivers at Pad. Like Pad, a small number will sign 08s. Only route exception is that Bristol drivers will sign to St Phillips Marsh Depot rather than OOC (although some Bristol drivers keep this knowledge).

Status
Not open for further replies.