• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western trainie train drivers, Reading, Paddington & Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

sultanofswing

I turned up in jeans. Didn't get the job. Probably why i'm still just a bus driver.

sorry, I already got the job, I wanted to know what I should wear on the first day of work, as we won't have been issued uniform yet?

By the way, I am/was a bus driver, 2 more days left driving buses!:D

You turned up in Jeans to an interview? holy **** dude:(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fordylad

I'm thinking suit on day 1,
I'm not sure that I'll meet you on your first day as I think I'm the only one at Oxford.

driver9000

Established Member
Going on my own experiences from my first day (not FGW though), smart is the way to go. Shirt and tie at the very least. I remember our pre uniform issue appearance being mentioned on our review forms. Good luck to you all for your first day and your futures on the iron road! :D

(Another tip - you may need a ruck sack for the day you get issued Rulebooks,Sectional appendix and other company books)

Minilad

Established Member
Going on my own experiences from my first day (not FGW though), smart is the way to go. Shirt and tie at the very least. I remember our pre uniform issue appearance being mentioned on our review forms. Good luck to you all for your first day and your futures on the iron road! :D

(Another tip - you may need a ruck sack for the day you get issued Rulebooks,Sectional appendix and other company books)

Or the biggest suitcase or holdall you can lay your hands on :lol:

driver9000

Established Member
Or the biggest suitcase or holdall you can lay your hands on :lol:

I remember our instructor saying "oh, a carrier bag will fine". So we all turned up with carrier bags and then they proceeded to dump these huge binders full of paper in front of us! :lol::shock:

jscho84233

Hi, all, new member here!

I've just been to the assessment at Reading on Monday. I was told I passed all the tests, but wasn't given the result of the structured interview, was told 7-10 days for the result.

It's only been a day and I'm quickly running out of fingernails.

Best of luck to anyone else who's scheduled for assessment this week!

FGW_DID

Established Member
Hi, all, new member here!

I've just been to the assessment at Reading on Monday. I was told I passed all the tests, but wasn't given the result of the structured interview, was told 7-10 days for the result.

It's only been a day and I'm quickly running out of fingernails.

Best of luck to anyone else who's scheduled for assessment this week!

Keep checking your 'application status' on the careers website, thats how I found out I had passed. (IIRC it was about a week)

Best of Luck.

jscho84233

Woo Hoo! Thanks, FGW DID, you're absolutely right. Just logged on to the website and was greeted with "Successful at full assessment"! No e-mail yet though, but at least I know I havent lost one of my two lives now!

Hey, Fordy, you and your fellow cousemates must be getting very excited by now! Congrats to all that are starting next Monday!

FGW_DID

Established Member
Congrats - dont expect an email confirming it, I never got one, your next e-mail should be the invite to interview. Now its just a waiting game!

fordylad

Very well done mate, time to start researching the company for your managers interview. I've still got a few folders that I used if you want them

jscho84233

Thanks, Fordy, any help I can get will be gratefully recieved! If you're not doing anything later, do you fancy that pint? Or tomorrow?

bob1

Woo Hoo! Thanks, FGW DID, you're absolutely right. Just logged on to the website and was greeted with "Successful at full assessment"! No e-mail yet though, but at least I know I havent lost one of my two lives now!

Hey, Fordy, you and your fellow cousemates must be getting very excited by now! Congrats to all that are starting next Monday!

Excellent news, Just had my tests and interview today, past the tests some parts better than others, the reaction test is something else isn't it!!, but not confident about the interview even after all the studying, just the waiting game now I guess.

fordylad

Auto tank no worries about Friday we will still be local

James can't do tonight, but fancy the beehive around 9 ish tomorrow

jscho84233

Brilliant, Bob1, well done! Yes, the reaction test is not good! Well done for getting through that one! Well, as I said, I did mine on Monday, and the website said today that I was successful. So have a check on Friday and you might get an answer!

So how many got through to the interview today?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fordy, 9 at the beedive tomorrow sounds good. I'll meet you at the bar! I've got your number so I'll give you a bell.

Last edited:

jscho84233

Thanks, Bailey! Im not counting my chickens just yet though, I haven't been invited to a DM interview yet. Congrats to you on landing the job!

bob1

Brilliant, Bob1, well done! Yes, the reaction test is not good! Well done for getting through that one! Well, as I said, I did mine on Monday, and the website said today that I was successful. So have a check on Friday and you might get an answer!

So how many got through to the interview today?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fordy, 9 at the beedive tomorrow sounds good. I'll meet you at the bar! I've got your number so I'll give you a bell.

Two of us got through, how about when you did yours ?

autotank

I'm keen - should be in Reading for just after 7.30. Just sent you a PM fordyland - look forward to meeting you tomorrow.

sultanofswing

I really hope it's not snowing on Monday morning for our first day.:(

just started snowing here in Swindon, and is starting to settle!!!:|

How is it for everyone else?

sultanofswing

Snowing since 5pm in farnborough and settling nicely.(oh dear)

yeah but you can walk to the station, my prob is getting to the station, if the buses stop running i'll panic!!!

i think this is the first time in my life that I'm praying for the snow to stop!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.