• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think this is something to be looked at over time. Global Warming is an important issue and it’s hard to ignore that it can become extremely hot during the summer so our transport systems need to be able to accommodate that idea. It’s only going to get hotter.

Air Con needs to be a standard spec on buses from now on I would say.

Yeah if First weren't up for sale I think they'd be looking at potential air con. Double deckers with barely any windows upstairs aren't up to what we need anymore and heating being on at all definitely isn't needed yet always seems to be on in Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think this is something to be looked at over time. Global Warming is an important issue and it’s hard to ignore that it can become extremely hot during the summer so our transport systems need to be able to accommodate that idea. It’s only going to get hotter.

Air Con needs to be a standard spec on buses from now on I would say.

Again it must be noted what we've just had is uncommon, it's rarely ever this hot up here.

I disagree about Air-Con, this is a discussion that has been had in another thread. However 2 or 3 warm days in the middle of July don't warrant Air-Con when hopper windows are more efficient, don't break and are often better overall.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah it would all come down to cost for me tbh. It's been a consistently warm summer this year and I only see that consistency being at a higher temperature as years go by

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Again it must be noted what we've just had is uncommon, it's rarely ever this hot up here.

I disagree about Air-Con, this is a discussion that has been had in another thread. However 2 or 3 warm days in the middle of July don't warrant Air-Con when hopper windows are more efficient, don't break and are often better overall.

Can't help but agree with you. Understand it can be very stuffy on the hottest days but these are extremes. Air con is a double whammy for operators as it requires more fuel to operate and adds to the GVW too whilst operators are increasingly looking to improve fuel economy.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Can't help but agree with you. Understand it can be very stuffy on the hottest days but these are extremes. Air con is a double whammy for operators as it requires more fuel to operate and adds to the GVW too whilst operators are increasingly looking to improve fuel economy.

Not to forget that at a maintenance perspective they can't keep up with it. That was the issue with the E500's, Glasgow didn't keep on top of the AC very well, so it proved unreliability not working on a number of them and as such there was a string of complaints in Summer 2016. This lead to First Aberdeen disconnecting the AC, fitting 3 underseat Air chill units (1 lower deck, 2 upper deck) and 8 hopper windows. From personal experience, while the AC was lovely to have when it worked the current set up is much more logical. Especially in the NE Scotland climate. And of course the Enviro500's are much more economical now compared to before and there's less strain on the engine.

route101

Established Member
Every single bus I was on today was absolutely boiling. First definitely don't make it easy to travel around in this heat lol

Thursday was the worst , yesterday was not bad . Some buses have air blowing but not full air conditioning .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Yeah if First weren't up for sale I think they'd be looking at potential air con. Double deckers with barely any windows upstairs aren't up to what we need anymore and heating being on at all definitely isn't needed yet always seems to be on in Glasgow

I don’t think First being up for sale has any impact on normal operations at the moment. I believe it’s still business as usual until someone buys out so this shouldn’t impact on progress.

As for the justification of aircon, I think it’s unfair to say that it’s unusual for it to be this hot. Regardless of how sunny it is - Glasgow gets extremely hot in the summer. That can range any time from warm spells in March/April then again into May-October sometimes of just warm weather (not boiling) but hot enough weather to justify air condition on a bus jam packed with other people. My argument stays strong. Things will only get warmer. Air con has to be looked at imo.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I don’t think First being up for sale has any impact on normal operations at the moment. I believe it’s still business as usual until someone buys out so this shouldn’t impact on progress.

As for the justification of aircon, I think it’s unfair to say that it’s unusual for it to be this hot. Regardless of how sunny it is - Glasgow gets extremely hot in the summer. That can range any time from warm spells in March/April then again into May-October sometimes of just warm weather (not boiling) but hot enough weather to justify air condition on a bus jam packed with other people. My argument stays strong. Things will only get warmer. Air con has to be looked at imo.

I think the cost of it would play a part in whether it was implemented because they'll not want to invest a lot into it especially because they still need to spend to meet LEZ requirements. Yeah as soon as a bus can be remotely busy it can be extremely warm and as someone who suffers skin flare ups when I'm too warm it's definitely an issue and I know a lot of people who would welcome it sooner rather than later

Realistic_Spy

saw a e300 on the 74 yesterday, nice to see bigger single decks on the M2/74 rather than the usual SPT optare solo

PaulMc7

Established Member
saw a e300 on the 74 yesterday, nice to see bigger single decks on the M2/74 rather than the usual SPT optare solo

Think there's been one on that for a while. I've seen that a few times over the last 3/4 months. Seen a couple on the 7 midweek too and the M3

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Does anyone know what the plans are for LT02 NVM which is currently at Caledonia? It’s been painted in all over blue and has now received tinted windows.

I’ve looked it up and it appears to be a Yorkshire bus after disposal from London which never actually served Glasgow at all. Any ideas?

route101

Established Member
Does anyone know what the plans are for LT02 NVM which is currently at Caledonia? It’s been painted in all over blue and has now received tinted windows.

I’ve looked it up and it appears to be a Yorkshire bus after disposal from London which never actually served Glasgow at all. Any ideas?

Yeah i suppose , i thought they had to put the wee orange solo on .

route101

Established Member
Yeah, first seem to buy branded buses and put them on any route, I saw a 38 branded e400mmc on the 31 which is very unusual
When did you see that . Friday before the last ,the first 31 was a 38 branded e400mmnc , maybe this is regular working

NorthClyde320

With service 2 being revised to operate only between Baillieston and Faifley (removing it from the low bridge at Kirkwood) and being reduced in frequency from every 7/8 mins to 8 mins on Mon-Fri and probably on Sat aswell, could it be converted to double deck operation with the August changes if there is enough spare deckers or could it be one of the next routes to receive the next batch of new vehicles? I know the singles used to struggle at various times load wise when it was every 6/7 mins, then it got worse when it went to every 7/8 mins and now it will be going to every 8 mins which could see more standing loads.

Last edited:

goldisgood

With service 2 being revised to operate only between Baillieston and Faifley (removing it from the low bridge at Kirkwood) and being reduced in frequency from every 7/8 mins to 8 mins on Mon-Fri and probably on Sat aswell, could it be converted to double deck operation with the August changes if there is enough spare deckers or could it be one of the next routes to receive the next batch of new vehicles? I know the singles used to struggle at various times load wise when it was every 6/7 mins, then it got worse when it went to every 7/8 mins and now it will be going to every 8 mins which could see more standing loads.
Decker conversion would be a good idea from what I hear, but keep in mind that every 7-8 minutes to every 8 minutes is only around 20 seats per hour in each direction lost, so in the grand scheme of things isn't here (in other terms, half a bus less per hour).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Decker conversion would be a good idea from what I hear, but keep in mind that every 7-8 minutes to every 8 minutes is only around 20 seats per hour in each direction lost, so in the grand scheme of things isn't here (in other terms, half a bus less per hour).

Agree, i doubt a frequency reduction that 'irrelevant' will warrant decker conversion

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

I have to say I’m rather shocked that the Airdrie section of the 2 is being withdrawn completely. Most people I understand tend to get the train however it was useful for those travelling to Morrisons or Swinton even not to mention those who live in Bargeddie. I guess the Whifflet line being electrified provides a better service than what was once there so it makes sense.

I wouldn’t say it would make a huge difference as the 62 used to run as deckers while the Airdrie variation ran as singles so it wasn’t hard to manage really. So the Kirkwood bridge doesn’t really have an effect on the Baillieston section. I do agree, however that deckers could be used on the 2 alongside singles I would say. This would allow a lot of the ageing E300s and E200MMCs to be cascaded on to other routes on the network and eliminate a lot of the old stock. I think it’s silly for them to keep pushing for singles on such a huge route.

Scott mac

I have to say I’m rather shocked that the Airdrie section of the 2 is being withdrawn completely. Most people I understand tend to get the train however it was useful for those travelling to Morrisons or Swinton even not to mention those who live in Bargeddie. I guess the Whifflet line being electrified provides a better service than what was once there so it makes sense.

I wouldn’t say it would make a huge difference as the 62 used to run as deckers while the Airdrie variation ran as singles so it wasn’t hard to manage really. So the Kirkwood bridge doesn’t really have an effect on the Baillieston section. I do agree, however that deckers could be used on the 2 alongside singles I would say. This would allow a lot of the ageing E300s and E200MMCs to be cascaded on to other routes on the network and eliminate a lot of the old stock. I think it’s silly for them to keep pushing for singles on such a huge route.
Would like to see the 2 with new e400mmc on it think they would cut it 2 run every 10 minutes If that happens

route101

Established Member
Would like to see the 2 with new e400mmc on it think they would cut it 2 run every 10 minutes If that happens

At every ten minutes its still more frequent than a lot routes , the 6 for example. I thought at somepoint it as gonna get e400s but it as changed to e300s .