• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

singlemalt

I much prefer the bigger wheels on these buses. It improves the design and everything. I think if our E200MMCs and E300s had bigger wheels there wouldn’t be so many bumps and they wouldn’t be as flim
I much prefer the bigger wheels on these buses. It improves the design and everything. I think if our E200MMCs and E300s had bigger wheels there wouldn’t be so many bumps and they wouldn’t be as flimsy.

They look good. Is the interior just the standard First interior?
yes it is no imagination
D99A08C0-EB7D-4693-87FC-FE38B64C96D3.jpeg C1DFC1B3-6B88-46CC-B504-39DE88319A10.jpeg E3F600A3-EF39-4F49-BCA5-4298653E31BE.jpeg C76FAFC9-A6C4-4CBF-A51B-C750FFE23FAE.jpeg 536DAACC-FAB6-4F71-9278-05BFB78F8E8A.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Seen one of the new buses head up Glassford st with a few people on board. M3 , not a service i see or hear baout often.

route101

Established Member
Worst bus for reliability everyone? For me, it has to be the 8. Waited from 2:55 to 3:50 without one turning up towards Parkhead from Springburn earlier and when I got the M3 up to the side of Stobhill due to a change of plan I crossed over to go for the 57 and that's when the 8 passed on the other side from me. The initial plan was to get the 8 to the forge for some shopping and I abandoned that with how cold I was already. In terms of breakdowns etc too they used to always happen when I used the 8. Another one of those services that would benefit from a route split or something completely different. Having buses every 30 mins only works if the reliability isn't so horrific too and the 8 and 90 especially are too poor to consistently attract absolutely solid numbers everywhere on the route.

Did a 90 turn up from Springburn? That goes to Parkhead too . I hate to rely on the 90 or the 8.

Seen one of the new buses head up Glassford st with a few people on board. M3 , not a service i see or hear baout often.

Hourly service that you wont see unless your really looking for it! One of the few remaining traditional Glasgow urban safaris that goes everywhere but you wouldnt dream of using it end to end.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Did a 90 turn up from Springburn? That goes to Parkhead too . I hate to rely on the 90 or the 8.

Was at the bit where the 8 turns off of Atlas Road and the 90 should already have been but it turns out it wasn't and it passed the lights as soon as I got to the 8 bus stop

Bus Lightyear

I much prefer the bigger wheels on these buses. It improves the design and everything. I think if our E200MMCs and E300s had bigger wheels there wouldn’t be so many bumps and they wouldn’t be as flimsy.

They look good. Is the interior just the standard First interior?
I suppose because they're electric and not using fuel they can get away with using the larger wheels.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Another option is to get the train from Springburn to Duke Street and walk it from there.

True but wouldn't waste money on the train as I've got a 10 week ticket on my phone for the bus. Never really found the train to be great anywhere tbh

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I suppose because they're electric and not using fuel they can get away with using the larger wheels.

Yeah I agree.

I think the electric is a good idea but I could have thought of a better route to use electric buses on than the M3...

Also is the 90 still a relevant route? It used to be the 89 and the 90 with one doing the inner circle and one doing the outer circle. I remember the PS buses getting pretty busy on occasion but not so sure now. A few years back now the Streetlites were ordered new for the route but were quickly robbed for the 34/34A then cascaded elsewhere. They obviously don’t see the 90 as a huge selling point as the buses on it now are tired. Plenty of B7RLEs and B7TLs.

lastbus

Yeah I agree.

I think the electric is a good idea but I could have thought of a better route to use electric buses on than the M3...

Also is the 90 still a relevant route? It used to be the 89 and the 90 with one doing the inner circle and one doing the outer circle. I remember the PS buses getting pretty busy on occasion but not so sure now. A few years back now the Streetlites were ordered new for the route but were quickly robbed for the 34/34A then cascaded elsewhere. They obviously don’t see the 90 as a huge selling point as the buses on it now are tired. Plenty of B7RLEs and B7TLs.
Given they a have a range of around 200 miles before they need charged again the routes they could be used on are limited.

Bus Lightyear

Yeah I agree.

I'd assume the reason the M3 was chosen is because it's a relatively short route and only requires 2 buses. There's also some hills on the route just up from Partick Thistle's ground and in Springburn and Balornock so it's a good tester to see how the new buses will perform.

The Volvo B7rles are good buses but they're getting on a bit. When the Streetlites were moved off the 90 and onto the 34 it wasn't the first time the Inner Circle had lost relatively new buses. When the first batch of Optare Solos arrived in 2001 they were allocated to the 89/90 complete with branding to replace the AH and MB deckers but it only lasted for 2 or 3 years and it reverted to big bus operation this time with PS type SVs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57271897@N06/5846401299/in/photolist-im6dsd-nHFjkX-a4x6P4-9UCkqp

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah I agree.

The problem with the 90 is that there's really not many paying customers throughout the whole route plus there's only a couple of really busy sections of the route that I've seen frequently busy. Between Parkhead and Rutherglen is probably the busiest section of the route although on the odd occasion I've seen it busy from Partick to Ruchill. I think it's just the fact it's been so unreliable for so long that's put a lot of people off of it. The 8 and 90 have been around been the longest routes for some time but I think both need a trim and a massive reliability improvement. I'd probably split both in half and renumber the 8 into a 91. For example:

90- Partick to Parkhead
90A-Parkhead to Braehead

91-QEUH to Springburn
91A- Springburn to Parkhead or Carmyle if they would try that again which I doubt. Could also have it go around Glendale in Robroyston too to give people their permanent Provanmill link

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I'd assume the reason the M3 was chosen is because it's a relatively short route and only requires 2 buses. There's also some hills on the route just up from Partick Thistle's ground and in Springburn and Balornock so it's a good tester to see how the new buses will perform.

The Volvo B7rles are good buses but they're getting on a bit. When the Streetlites were moved off the 90 and onto the 34 it wasn't the first time the Inner Circle had lost relatively new buses. When the first batch of Optare Solos arrived in 2001 they were allocated to the 89/90 complete with branding to replace the AH and MB deckers but it only lasted for 2 or 3 years and it reverted to big bus operation this time with PS type SVs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57271897@N06/5846401299/in/photolist-im6dsd-nHFjkX-a4x6P4-9UCkqp

I recall these buses. Wasn’t there an issue with them being severely underpowered and unable to get up hills without burning themselves out? I get that the 34/34A required relatively new buses for the QEUH opening in 2015 but surely once the E200MMCs arrived they could have reverted back to the route they were new for but no they’ve stuck with B7RLEs. I find the route very long winded and probably not necessary to cover such a large area.

Volvodart

Established Member
I see from the press release for the new electric buses that it was 49 buses that had to be retrofitted to meet the 40% target for the end of 2019.

route101

Established Member
The problem with the 90 is that there's really not many paying customers throughout the whole route plus there's only a couple of really busy sections of the route that I've seen frequently busy. Between Parkhead and Rutherglen is probably the busiest section of the route although on the odd occasion I've seen it busy from Partick to Ruchill. I think it's just the fact it's been so unreliable for so long that's put a lot of people off of it. The 8 and 90 have been around been the longest routes for some time but I think both need a trim and a massive reliability improvement. I'd probably split both in half and renumber the 8 into a 91. For example:

90- Partick to Parkhead
90A-Parkhead to Braehead

91-QEUH to Springburn
91A- Springburn to Parkhead or Carmyle if they would try that again which I doubt. Could also have it go around Glendale in Robroyston too to give people their permanent Provanmill link

Yeah Parkhead is where id split it . Yeah the 8 is like an outer circle .

route101

Established Member
True but wouldn't waste money on the train as I've got a 10 week ticket on my phone for the bus. Never really found the train to be great anywhere tbh

Yeah , once you have a pass you want to make the most of it. I will happily get the train if i want somewhere quick.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah Parkhead is where id split it . Yeah the 8 is like an outer circle .

Yeah makes the most sense to split there, the 8 route is generally horrendous. I remember when the Forge to Carmyle section was cut and I thought it would maybe improve reliability but then they axed the 15 and adding the Summerston section recreated the problem

route101

Established Member
Yeah makes the most sense to split there, the 8 route is generally horrendous. I remember when the Forge to Carmyle section was cut and I thought it would maybe improve reliability but then they axed the 15 and adding the Summerston section recreated the problem

Never knew they changed the 8 at Summerston?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah , once you have a pass you want to make the most of it. I will happily get the train if i want somewhere quick.

Yeah I've used the train on the odd occasion but even into Glasgow city centre the 1s are as quick as the train and I usually don't get just 2 buses when I'm out. 4/5 minimum most of the time

PaulMc7

Established Member
Never knew they changed the 8 at Summerston?

Yeah was rerouted to cover the 15 when that was axed 2 years ago now I think. Does Maryhill Road, Shiskine Drive then a circle of Summerston before Gilshochill/Lambhill etc

PaulMc7

Established Member
Every other day you get bonkers route suggestions on here.

Quite good to see what other people suggest etc. Seen a few out there ones on other forums on here but not this one. There's quite a lot of thought clearly put into them

route101

Established Member
Yeah was rerouted to cover the 15 when that was axed 2 years ago now I think. Does Maryhill Road, Shiskine Drive then a circle of Summerston before Gilshochill/Lambhill etc

Dont go up that way often

PaulMc7

Established Member
At every tens mins freq , what would the PVR be? And end to end running time

With the 1B route being around 1 hr 40 mins and the X22 being over 2 hours it's probably close to a 6 hour route. PVR would have to be 74/75 to allow any recovery time at each end.

Think I've worked that out right but I'm not 100% sure so I stand corrected if it's wrong

Last edited: