• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stan Drews

Established Member
I'll take the company's word on it I think. It seems you're just speculating.
If you have a look at the various links to the story on the web, you will see that many locals saw what happened, so it’s not hard to realise that the only ‘malfunction‘ related to the nut behind the wheel. Sometimes referred to as an “SWA fault“. :oops:

I’ll leave that one with you…

GALLANTON

If you have a look at the various links to the story on the web, you will see that many locals saw what happened, so it’s not hard to realise that the only ‘malfunction‘ related to the nut behind the wheel. Sometimes referred to as an “SWA fault“. :oops:

I’ll leave that one with you…

Please provide these links, as per the forum rules...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, I think it's time we drew this particular story to a close. If there are "various links to the story on the web", let's have them, please. Otherwise it's just hearsay.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Bus times are showing the 77 branded buses as being on the 38 and the 21. Has the 77 moved to Caley?

LT02 NVV

Bus times are showing the 77 branded buses as being on the 38 and the 21. Has the 77 moved to Caley?
I believe those 77 Branded Buses are on-loan from the Scotstoun depot, due to the fact that First Aberdeen had to temporarily withdraw it’s fleet of new StreetDecks, and had to quickly borrow some E400MMCs from the Cally depot.

Don’t worry, the E400MMCs will return back to Glasgow, once WrightBus figures out what’s wrong with the StreetDecks.

DC21

Whats happening with the 34/34A branded enviros? Are FiG going to get the 34 part debranded or is there plan to reintroduce the 34 route?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Whats happening with the 34/34A branded enviros? Are FiG going to get the 34 part debranded or is there plan to reintroduce the 34 route?
I'd be amazed if the 34 ever came back to be quite honest. Even on a 15 min frequency just now the 34A isn't always that busy. Peak time just purely because of Queen Elizabeth University Hospital will be busy but I wouldn't imagine it being overused any other time.

I think it could be the same for quite a few routes to be honest. If First suddenly decided to favour double deckers with less frequent routes over more single deckers I'd imagine some of the Saturday service frequencies could become permanent Monday to Friday frequencies

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Was mentioned a wee while ago the 77 was moving to Caley, not sure if there is any substance to the rumour though.
The 77 seems like an ideal route for the electric buses. It’s busy but relatively short. Although the E400MMCs currently on the route have luggage racks for the airport - not sure how useful they are but seems odd they’d specifically go for a different spec and then replace them only 3 years later.

GALLANTON

The 77 seems like an ideal route for the electric buses. It’s busy but relatively short. Although the E400MMCs currently on the route have luggage racks for the airport - not sure how useful they are but seems odd they’d specifically go for a different spec and then replace them only 3 years later.

I think the E400MMCs on the 77 are fitted with luggage racks that are designed to be easily removed and replaced with seating.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

I don't know if the 77 would ever be electric, as for the journeys that extend beyond Braehead Centre to the airport, part of the route uses the White Cart Viaduct section of the M8.

I can remember the blue signs in the West Midlands when joining the motorway that it stated "No Pedestrians, No Bicycles, No invalid carriages, No motorbikes under 50cc" or something similar.

It would all depend on the power of the electric buses if they can achieve anything greater than the equivalent of 50cc.

GALLANTON

I don't know if the 77 would ever be electric, as for the journeys that extend beyond Braehead Centre to the airport, part of the route uses the White Cart Viaduct section of the M8.

I can remember the blue signs in the West Midlands when joining the motorway that it stated "No Pedestrians, No Bicycles, No invalid carriages, No motorbikes under 50cc" or something similar.

It would all depend on the power of the electric buses if they can achieve anything greater than the equivalent of 50cc.

I'm pretty sure these buses have more power than a 50cc motorbike, otherwise they'd not be able to move.

Rgy88

The x8 service (M77 motorway service to Silverburn/ Pollok ) has been operated by electric buses on a Sunday recently.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I think the E400MMCs on the 77 are fitted with luggage racks that are designed to be easily removed and replaced with seating.
Yup the racks can be removed by undoing 6 bolts, though they're actually used by people for shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Does anybody know if the one bus services are to long for electric buses
I’d imagine so unless they tried splitting the One. I do wonder how they’ll cope when all routes go electric. The 2 is another fairly long route. I wonder what their solution to that will be.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd imagine developments in the batteries and charging power will become pretty key in the future to whether electric is a viable alternative. Batteries that last much longer will probably be a thing at some point. It just depends on how long that takes to become a thing.

Given the success of them I've been surprised the 1s haven't had any upgrades whatsoever. I'm surprised a diesel order wasn't snuck in last minute for them just before committing to not buying diesel anymore as a company.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Does anybody know if the one bus services are to long for electric buses
The issue isn't with route lengths alone, but more the mileage over a full day. The EVs could easily do a run on "The One" but they most likely wouldn't be able to do a full day's shift. Additionally allocating them to shorter routes makes it easier for them to swap buses round if they need to come off for charging.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Service 2 seems to be majority decker-operated today.
There's a few double deckers each day now it seems especially in the morning which is handy with the 20 min gaps towards the City Centre. Unfortunately my bus to work is the first one that always ends up a single decker and full as a result of it.

On another note, how many drivers are First still short of even for the Saturday frequencies? Noticed buses missing all over the place today on different routes.

Last edited:
There's a few double deckers each day now it seems especially in the morning which is handy with the 20 min gaps towards the City Centre. Unfortunately my bus to work is the first one that always ends up a single decker and full as a result of it.

On another note, how many drivers are First still short of even for the Saturday frequencies? Noticed buses missing all over the place today on different routes.
A lot

It won't change.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
69193 is on the 266 today and has been repainted in to First Scotland East (Midland) livery so will presumably be transferring soon.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've been having a look on the app and yeah service frequencies could easily be cut if this driver shortage keeps up at this level. The app isn't always accurate but when you have buses in a row on multiple routes potentially missing it's definitely something that needs to be fixed asap.

The 38s and 60s in particular always seem to be awful. The 7s and 57s at times too in particular but plenty across the board missing.

Getting more out of routes while lowering frequencies could be an option to be honest but you'd need a lot of changes to do that currently.