• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

lastbus

Effective from yesterday yet nothing has changed?

242 still running to Pather and 240 unchanged either.

They are both now using the new road into craigneuk scheme. That is the change hence why it was a short notice registration.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I saw a canibilised looking B7L at Caledonia today on passing. Also noticed a B10BLE. Presumably these are the withdrawn stock.

Gingerbus1991

Since cumbernauld, parkhead and larkfield all closed what routes are running from Caledonia these days, did some routes go to scotstoun, blantyre or overtown?

Surely caledonia is ran at full capacity now!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Since cumbernauld, parkhead and larkfield all closed what routes are running from Caledonia these days, did some routes go to scotstoun, blantyre or overtown?

They got divided up initially between Caledonia, Blantyre and Parkhead.

Parkhead took the X3 and X5 at the time. They also took the 06 plate B7TLs and the 51 plate tridents.

Caley took the majority of Cumbernauld services. Of course now PH and Caley have merged.

Blantyre took the X1, X11, 18. The 53 plate B7TLs went with them. There’s probably more but that’s what I can remember from the top of my head.

What First have done to the Cumbernauld network is nothing short of shambolic.

first was given the constraints because of the scotrail thing , closed Cumbernauld down in may 2013 as it had been losing money for yrs because they weren’t allowed to cut back and be more competitive to stagecoach who were undercutting fares by well over a pound single .which then rose up slowly after closure to what is about the same as first was then , 36 was reduced to a couple of early morning journeys to take workers to Irn bru factory mainly from city centre and on to the town centre they then changed onto the X3 for returning journeys . This then became the early 38C for x3 from caley 2 as is now . I’m pretty sure the fare on x3 Cumbernauld to town still is about a pound dearer possibly than x36/7.

lastbus

Parkhead took the X3 and X5 at the time. They also took the 06 plate B7TLs and the 51 plate tridents.

Caley took the majority of Cumbernauld services. Of course now PH and Caley have merged.

Blantyre took the X1, X11, 18. The 53 plate B7TLs went with them. There’s probably more but that’s what I can remember from the top of my head.

X1 and X11 were not Cumbernauld routes they have always been Blantyre’s

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
X1 and X11 were not Cumbernauld routes they have always been Blantyre’s

I want to say I’m almost positive the X1 and X11 were both Cumbernauld routes at one stage as I remember the 09 plate B9TLs being on this route and they never went to Blantyre?

I want to say I’m almost positive the X1 and X11 were both Cumbernauld routes at one stage as I remember the 09 plate B9TLs being on this route and they never went to Blantyre?

Definitely not Cumbernauld routes . The 09 plates may have spent a bit of time in Blantyre but would have just been transferred or covering for a breakdown in Buchanan. That would happen often the bus station spare bus would end up in other depots and would try to be out on a run back next day or so to be swapped back again .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
What’s the script with the Streetlites? I still see a few around Govan. Is the plan to have mainly mint branded E200MMCs alongside the Streetlites as there are not enough?

route101

Established Member

Caley is one big depot but driver wise im sure its split into 3 parts . The ex Parkhead stuff is usually in the smaller south side . Buses do get mixed at times . The ex cumbernauld buses either go empty to Bus stn or go up high st .

The 8 and 90 went to Scotstoun i think.

route101

Established Member
I think over the last 10 to 15 years First have done very little to appease what passaengers it once had, whether the trains got involved or not.

A few passengers in glasgow have rhode the refurbed B9s when they were first done and initially mistook them as new buses, as if its something almost foreign to them in Glesga, the usual words being “This bus has laminate flooring, is this a new bus, driver?”.
If the perception of a bus service is seen to be low, so will ridership im afraid, the trains or car ownership is not the sole destroyer of patronage, FiG has helped decimate its punters.

When I was employed at Firsts cumbernauld depot the 88 used to have mobbed deckers every monday to friday, they use singles mostly now, yet these operate through a vast area that has always had trains, but the buses used have always been Tridents that were hingin.

Heard of few on the Hybrids on the 6 saying that the seats are posh ! Just wait till you slide off them as the bus brakes. I recall the 88 being scanias at one point .

route101

Established Member
Buying new singles for the busy 1, 2 and 77 could've ment cascading the Enviro 300s on these routes to replace the B7RLE, of course for one I do not understand them buying new buses for the likes of the 241 and 34, when the city centre is still crying out for a whole load more money to be invested in it, I very much wish that they would entertain heavier buses for the 1 and 2s.

The 3, 41 and 10, the 9/9A should certainly be a high priority route for new buses considering there competition for McGills 38.

The 3 has pretty new E300s though could see a few more deckers . The 40 gets the same buses as the 60 , is it interworked?

route101

Established Member
I think First are making a big mistake by not converting the B7RLEs. I get there are other buses which take priority such as the E300s but surely buses as sturdy as this should be kept. They are still great buses. If these were refurbished they would be as good as new.

Along with the 53 and 54/07 geminis they needs new seats

route101

Established Member
New buses on the 38 would have a big impact – it would be a very visible sign of things changing. As we’ve discussed before, it would be a good time for First to thing about simplifying the 38, maybe renumbering part of it to avoid all the suffix. It’s still a busy route – Shawlands and Alexandra Parade are both good bus territory. Looking ahead, there’s going to a lot of development around Millerston and out at Gartcosh, so the 38 (or variations of it) look like they’ve got a good future.

I always forget that the X78 from Newton Mearns is still going. I’m surprised they haven’t tried to boost it, maybe try an all-day service again. Went past Patterton station before Christmas and the car park was full – with a decent fare offer they could try and steal some of the business by offering through journeys to Charing X or Glasgow Uni.

X78 is only one journey each way now. Used it once and was busy . Only problem would be getting stuck on traffic on the motorway

route101

Established Member
Definitely not Cumbernauld routes . The 09 plates may have spent a bit of time in Blantyre but would have just been transferred or covering for a breakdown in Buchanan. That would happen often the bus station spare bus would end up in other depots and would try to be out on a run back next day or so to be swapped back again .

Few of them are at Scotstoun .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Heard of few on the Hybrids on the 6 saying that the seats are posh ! Just wait till you slide off them as the bus brakes. I recall the 88 being scanias at one point .

Yes the Scania L113s were branded for the 88 at one point and then some of them went to Chester if I’m right. The 88 then went to deckers again.

Scotstoun lost a lot of deckers just before the services changes in 2013. They seem to be stocking up again if some 09 plates are there, 57 plate B9TLs, E400s and think they still have a few B7TLs.

On a separate note I was one of the new E200MMcs on the 2. They’re really nice modern buses. The pink branding is also very eye catching even to the standard non observant bus user. Even the person I was with said “oh look at the new buses”. They look very smart. It would be nice to see more new buses on the 2 to replace the E300s. Pretty sure they could be used elsewhere with LEZ forthcoming.

route101

Established Member
Yes the Scania L113s were branded for the 88 at one point and then some of them went to Chester if I’m right. The 88 then went to deckers again.

Scotstoun lost a lot of deckers just before the services changes in 2013. They seem to be stocking up again if some 09 plates are there, 57 plate B9TLs, E400s and think they still have a few B7TLs.

On a separate note I was one of the new E200MMcs on the 2. They’re really nice modern buses. The pink branding is also very eye catching even to the standard non observant bus user. Even the person I was with said “oh look at the new buses”. They look very smart. It would be nice to see more new buses on the 2 to replace the E300s. Pretty sure they could be used elsewhere with LEZ forthcoming.

Them pink E200mmcs are not for the 2 apparently , guy on FB said , though you gotta watch people feeding cack .

Yeah Scotstoun does seem to lack deckers.

lastbus

Them pink E200mmcs are not for the 2 apparently , guy on FB said , though you gotta watch people feeding cack .

Yeah Scotstoun does seem to lack deckers.

The buses on the 2 look like the colour for the 242 on the posters

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Don't forget Knightswood (re-located to Scotstoun in the mid Noughties) and Possilpark (closed in 2000, with demolition finally taking place around 2013-14 or thereabouts).

Possilpark used to run (from memory) 8, 10 (partly now M3), 18 (when it used to run to Springburn via St Georges Cross, Maryhill Road, and Bilsland Drive), 54 (Summerston via Balmore Road to Penilee), 55 (Summerston via Maryhill Road to Hillington), 57 (Summerston via Maryhill Road to Pollock Centre, changing to a 48 to High Possil via Shawlands and Balmore Road), 75 (The Milton* to Castlemilk), 89/90 Inner Circle, and the Kirkintilloch services (the present day 88 etc).

The 10, 18, 48, 57, and 75 went to Larkfield, the 54, 89/90 went to Parkhead, the 8 and 55 went to Knightswood, and the Kirkintilloch routes went to Cumbernauld. As mentioned above, my memory may be hazy here.

* "The Milton" that I referred to is the area just north of the Hawthorn Street vicinity of Possilpark, with the theme of road names being named after islands in the Highlands e.g. Skerry Street, Rassay Street, etc. This area is also famous for the former Celtic, West Ham, and Scotland internationalist Frank "Where's the burdz" McAvennie was originally from. Also, "The Milton" is not to be confused with Milton of Campsie near Kirkintilloch, Milton of Buchanan in the Blane Valley, nor Milton in the east end of Dumbarton.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The buses on the 2 look like the colour for the 242 on the posters

I just think it seems odd to have full sized E200MMCs on the 242. I mean do that service really need full sized buses? I thought the plan was that the 242 was to get the buses for the 241 but it was swapped last minute. Also if they were for the 242 then why aren’t they on the route just now and on the 2 instead. Seems really odd.

lastbus

I just think it seems odd to have full sized E200MMCs on the 242. I mean do that service really need full sized buses? I thought the plan was that the 242 was to get the buses for the 241 but it was swapped last minute. Also if they were for the 242 then why aren’t they on the route just now and on the 2 instead. Seems really odd.

I don’t think they are for the 242 as it’s due new buses shortly along with the 254 but it is strange these buses on the 2 are running around with no branding apart from the colour at the front.

Scott mac

Don't forget Knightswood (re-located to Scotstoun in the mid Noughties) and Possilpark (closed in 2000, with demolition finally taking place around 2013-14 or thereabouts).

Possilpark used to run (from memory) 8, 10 (partly now M3), 18 (when it used to run to Springburn via St Georges Cross, Maryhill Road, and Bilsland Drive), 54 (Summerston via Balmore Road to Penilee), 55 (Summerston via Maryhill Road to Hillington), 57 (Summerston via Maryhill Road to Pollock Centre, changing to a 48 to High Possil via Shawlands and Balmore Road), 75 (The Milton* to Castlemilk), 89/90 Inner Circle, and the Kirkintilloch services (the present day 88 etc).

The 10, 18, 48, 57, and 75 went to Larkfield, the 54, 89/90 went to Parkhead, the 8 and 55 went to Knightswood, and the Kirkintilloch routes went to Cumbernauld. As mentioned above, my memory may be hazy here.

* "The Milton" that I referred to is the area just north of the Hawthorn Street vicinity of Possilpark, with the theme of road names being named after islands in the Highlands e.g. Skerry Street, Rassay Street, etc. This area is also famous for the former Celtic, West Ham, and Scotland internationalist Frank "Where's the burdz" McAvennie was originally from. Also, "The Milton" is not to be confused with Milton of Campsie near Kirkintilloch, Milton of Buchanan in the Blane Valley, nor Milton in the east end of Dumbarton.
The 75 was done from larkfield

Scott mac

The 75 was started due to stagecoach glasgow x74 both run the same route from town to castlemilk Milton all so had the stagecoach 5 which first ran the 52 the 52 was a possil route 75 wasn't