• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Scotstoun’s E300s are tired inside. In fairness they’ve been hammered in their 10 years of life.

I don’t imagine there will be plans to refurbish them with new E200EVs on the way. The 2 and 3 are due an upgrade.

I’m not sure what the E300s on the 1 are like but I see that Aberdeen’s E200MMCs will be sent to Dumbarton. The one could be doing with newer stock too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Scotstoun’s E300s are tired inside. In fairness they’ve been hammered in their 10 years of life.

I don’t imagine there will be plans to refurbish them with new E200EVs on the way. The 2 and 3 are due an upgrade.

I’m not sure what the E300s on the 1 are like but I see that Aberdeen’s E200MMCs will be sent to Dumbarton. The one could be doing with newer stock too.
The E300s on the 1s are in even worse condition than the Scotstoun. I use the 1s quite a lot and they struggle a lot due to being hammered by the expressway.

If I remember correctly, they're the ones that are also on lease too. Yutongs on the 1s would be interesting although I don't know how they'd handle the route. However, McGill's X23 gets them sometimes though and that goes via the M8 so I'd imagine it would work well enough via the expressway. I've also noticed that at least a couple of Streetlites appear on the 1s a bit more often now and they're really not great either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The E300s on the 1s are in even worse condition than the Scotstoun. I use the 1s quite a lot and they struggle a lot due to being hammered by the expressway.

If I remember correctly, they're the ones that are also on lease too. Yutongs on the 1s would be interesting although I don't know how they'd handle the route. However, McGill's X23 gets them sometimes though and that goes via the M8 so I'd imagine it would work well enough via the expressway. I've also noticed that at least a couple of Streetlites appear on the 1s a bit more often now and they're really not great either.
Are there enough E200MMCs to work the 1, if the Lanarkshire local routes went to electric?
Then again is it only the 4.5 litre models that First Glasgow have? If so then they're probably not much better than a StreetLite performance wise.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are there enough E200MMCs to work the 1, if the Lanarkshire local routes went to electric?
Then again is it only the 4.5 litre models that First Glasgow have? If so then they're probably not much better than a StreetLite performance wise.
The main issue is that the Lanarkshire to Glasgow routes see an awful lot of the E200MMCs, as well as the more local routes. It would probably take the likes of the 240, 255, 263 and 267 to go fully electric first to free up enough vehicles for the 1s.

Volvodart

Established Member
There's due to be 6 Pride buses in total - one per depot (including Aberdeen).
See below:-

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/23562333.glasgow-introduces-pride-buses-lgbt-attacks-rise/

Glasgow plans to have the ‘most Pride buses’ in the world as LGBT+ attacks rise in the city.

Six massive double deckers will be seen in the streets as part of a multi-year partnership between leading transport operator First Bus and Glasgow’s Pride, which kicks off on Saturday, July 15.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The Pride livery really is a smart look. I hope they do a mix of different bus types.
It'll be good if it's eventually more than one bus a depot too as it's a really good look and not to mention the PR positives that come with the cause.

On another note, some registrations are through on VOSA.

https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...3f8e1afce23edfd3b01e210&form-actions[submit]=

PM0000006/98 Registered
FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD

Route: Campsie Glen to Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Station via Lennoxtown, Kirkintilloch, Waterside

Service number: X85 (X87)

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 16 Jul 2023

PM0000006/280 Registered
FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD

Route: Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station to Torrance or Lennoxtown or Kilsyth via Bishopbriggs

Service number: 89 (89A, 89B)

PM0000006/406 Registered
FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD

Route: Auchinairn (Westhill) to Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station via Springburn

Service number: 87

Does anyone know what the changes involve or if more are still to come?

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Anyone know where I can find the Glasgow airport bus tickets on the app to buy?

PaulMc7

Established Member

While I absolutely despise First's app and it really needs to improve as soon as possible, moaning about the 90's reliability when there are so many roadworks on the route might just be the silliest thing to moan about. My 90 last week was 45 minutes late with how bad the roadworks are.

A FRUSTRATED passenger has hit out at First Bus for its Glasgow service accusing it of “lying” on its app.

Concierge worker Robert Dickson, who works at a multi-storey flat in Parkhead in the city’s East End, relies on the number 90 bus to get home to Rutherglen from work at night.

He claims the bus route should take him 15 minutes, but since February the bus has not turned up and as a result his commute has turned into 45 minutes.

He said: “I usually leave for my bus at work around 3.50pm as the bus arrives a few minutes after that and it is not a far walk.

“But when I get there and wait for around five to 10 minutes, no bus arrives.

“And when I question the driver of the bus I get on next they tell me that they 'don’t know what has happened' to the bus in front.”

Desperate Robert has been seeking answers over why the app says different from the actual service.

He added: “I have tried contacting the offices of First Bus and it connects me to the ones down in England. They tell me to try the Glasgow office but they don’t pick up or reply.

“I have had to resort to getting a bus to the city centre and then the 18 out to Rutherglen.

“Last Tuesday I almost missed a doctor's appointment due to the actions, with me only making it in the nick of time.

“The app lies to me and it really is annoying.”

First Bus has admitted the service has been delayed due to roadworks and explained how the app works in practice.

A spokesperson from First Bus said: “The First Bus app operates on a different system to the screen at the stop which is owned and operated by SPT. The data is updated live via the ticket machines on the buses but the processing time through the different systems may mean there is a slight delay in information being updated.

"Service 90 is suffering from multiple roadworks across the route – primarily the works at Partick Cross and Byres Road which are causing up to 20-minute delays just at the start of the route.

"First Bus continues to take every step to avoid any delays to its services. Factors outside the control of First Bus such as traffic congestion and roadworks can cause increases in waiting times."

Buzby

Surely the bigger story is that not that service lines suffer disruption, but that the app -nand I’m assuming the ‘minute’ countdown to the arrival of that service which ostensibly indicated it’s approach changes from ‘Due’ to ignoring it even existed as it scrolls off Into the ether? To me that IS a failing, if there’s no staff to update the system, then that should be addresse, but how does a bus that tracks successfully be able to put in such a position?

sannox

The app is very poor in that it gives indication buses are arriving which aren't.

The other issue is how poor the city is at managing roadworks and impacts on public transport.

trei2k

To be honest, the X mins thing is a mess. The best way is to use the First app and to monitor the approaching bus in real time with the GPS info. Unfortunately, it relies on clicking around a number of scheduled buses and hoping you pick up the right one and having to use the FirstBus app.

Personally, I wish Transport Scotland would require First to make their location data available open source to allow bustimes.org and other providers to map the locations. They are the only major operator in Glasgow not to provide the data - McGills, Stagecoach, Citylink, West Coast etc. all provide this information (as do many of the smaller operators as well).

PaulMc7

Established Member
Surely the bigger story is that not that service lines suffer disruption, but that the app -nand I’m assuming the ‘minute’ countdown to the arrival of that service which ostensibly indicated it’s approach changes from ‘Due’ to ignoring it even existed as it scrolls off Into the ether? To me that IS a failing, if there’s no staff to update the system, then that should be addresse, but how does a bus that tracks successfully be able to put in such a position?
The main problems I find with it are that buses don't stop tracking immediately if they are cut short on route so you just see a bus on the map going to the depot and there is no way of knowing in advance if a route is going to be cut short. The destination screen and the app should match especially as it causes major inconvenience for anyone who boards buses near a changeover point.

During the time in my old job, I used the 2 and the amount of times I got caught out by a 2 going only to Scotstoun was incredibly high. Luckily, I was only ever late once due to it and that was roadworks causing the delay more than anything.

Brimfulofasha

There's due to be 6 Pride buses in total - one per depot (including Aberdeen).

It'll be good if it's eventually more than one bus a depot too as it's a really good look and not to mention the PR positives that come with the cause.

First Glasgow are a private company and are free to promote whatever ideological agenda they wish to. But I can think of no other instances, save the odd poppy for remembrance or the 'NHS' bus (both pretty non-controversial), where they have done that. In election time, are they going to display party-political liveries? Do they even support Ukraine? (I haven't seen a blue and yellow bus yet). Scottish independence?

What is it about this issue in particular that, as a company, they feel so strongly about? Or is it the workforce that are pushing for it?

First Glasgow are a private company and are free to promote whatever ideological agenda they wish to. But I can think of no other instances, save the odd poppy for remembrance or the 'NHS' bus (both pretty non-controversial), where they have done that. In election time, are they going to display party-political liveries? Do they even support Ukraine? (I haven't seen a blue and yellow bus yet). Scottish independence?

What is it about this issue in particular that, as a company, they feel so strongly about? Or is it the workforce that are pushing for it?
You might as well come out with “it’s alright but why are they shoving it down my throat” jesus. Having a bus painted in a pride livery is a very simple way to make people feel welcome & seen, and how anyone can say somebody having basic rights is political is beyond me…

As for a poppy being non-controversial, how about you ask the not-insignificant amount of scots-irish people in Glasgow how they feel about the British Army

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Promoting inclusion and acceptance in the workplace is not an ideological agenda, being LGBTQ+ is not a choice or belief, nor is it controversial to the vast majority of people. We're in the year 2023 not 1953...

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
You might as well come out with “it’s alright but why are they shoving it down my throat” jesus. Having a bus painted in a pride livery is a very simple way to make people feel welcome & seen, and how anyone can say somebody having basic rights is political is beyond me…

As for a poppy being non-controversial, how about you ask the not-insignificant amount of scots-irish people in Glasgow how they feel about the British Army
Promoting inclusion and acceptance in the workplace is not an ideological agenda, being LGBTQ+ is not a choice or belief, nor is it controversial to the vast majority of people. We're in the year 2023 not 1953...
These are the responses I’d hope for regarding the above message.

On a separate note does anyone know when Scotstoun’s E200EVs are due and if Scotstoun has its charging ports up yet?

Buzby

Maybe they got 50% of the Ukraine colours with this one? I couldn’t see any First Branding but I can see a lot of confused punters wondering why Beatson got into public transportatio!

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 61

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Does anyone know why SN65 ZFK (67071) was tracking on the 3?

67071 SN65 ZFK​

Urban
Type ADL Enviro200 MMC
RouteTripTo
31471_760_6605:13Drumchapel Station
31471_603_4906:05Govan Bus Interchange
31471_644_5110:12Govan Bus Interchange
31471_696_5114:55Govan Bus Interchange
Just saw 34400 on the 2 and 37538 is kicking about too. The depot must be short of buses.

XAM2175

Established Member
These are the responses I’d hope for regarding the above message.
Indeed.

Maybe they got 50% of the Ukraine colours with this one? I couldn’t see any First Branding but I can see a lot of confused punters wondering why Beatson got into public transportatio!
It does look a lot like an actual charity bus rather than a service bus in a charity livery.

Unacceptable amount of ContraVision though :{

Volvodart

Established Member
It should be fairly soon as the chargers have been installed although maybe not yet live.

Volvodart

Established Member
Originally the six loanees were to move when the chargers were ready, but I am unsure if that is still the plan.