• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

83G/84D

Established Member
How do you all find out what tridents have been scrapped?

Just a question about the Tridents listed as ‘scrapped’. Are these actually scrapped or just observed being towed from a depot by the scrap company?

I presume these will go to somewhere like Barnsley rather than for re-use with another operator?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

goldisgood

I see First Glasgow are not applying for exhaust conversion funding in the latest round because the funding level is less than is being received for conversions in England. I suspect McGills may be in the same position, as they had been promised funding at much greater level when the LEZ was proposed.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/1...r-failing-to-apply-for-fund-to-cut-pollution/
As all the buses will have to be Euro 6, surely not getting funding will still mean Euro 6 buses whatever happens?

Gingerbus1991

As all the buses will have to be Euro 6, surely not getting funding will still mean Euro 6 buses whatever happens?
It will, but of course I can't understand why they wouldn't want to apply for funding, any help would be better than none at all, of course if Euro5 buses were run through the zone at the end of 2022 the charges for doing so will mount up vastly, of course by not applying for funding or forging ahead with retrofits it does make the company look disfavourable towards helping to clean the air.

Its favourable that they have bought many new buses of late but why are we still seeing euro3 trident and B10s

I reckon it's just a simple case of First trying to push for a larger amount of reimbursement for retrofits than what is available just now.
19-reg E400 MMCs are starting to appear in service now. The following were on the 38 today.
34385 SK19 EMF
34386 SK19 EMJ
34387 SK19 EMV
These are liveried for the 38.
On the subject of FiG downsides, Firsts attempts to make a positive impact will be to buy a new bus, stick it in service and hope everyone sees that as them doing a good job.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Just a question about the Tridents listed as ‘scrapped’. Are these actually scrapped or just observed being towed from a depot by the scrap company?

I presume these will go to somewhere like Barnsley rather than for re-use with another operator?
The PSV Circle seem to report a lot of the scrappers go to M8 Recovery (not sure where they are situated)

SarahDFIG

Any vehicles I report as scrapped are on the withdrawal line awaiting to be collected by M8 recovery for scrap.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The PSV Circle seem to report a lot of the scrappers go to M8 Recovery (not sure where they are situated)

Alpha & M8 are typically the two companies who take away most of the scrappers it seems, that being said i have seen Thorntons take away a bus for scrap before.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
By the looks of the launch days, we should be seeing the E400MMCs start to arrive for the 77 very shortly.

The airport E400City buses can’t be too far away either.

By the looks of the launch days, we should be seeing the E400MMCs start to arrive for the 77 very shortly.

The airport E400City buses can’t be too far away either.
  • 254 New Bus Launch Event: Motherwell Football Club (Fir Park), 9th March 2019, 11:30am – 3pm.
  • 77 New Bus Launch Event: St Enoch Square, 23rd March 2019, 10am - 4pm.
  • Glasgow Airport Express service 500 New Bus Launch Event: George Square, 13th April 2019, 10am – 4pm.

Busmaddy

Honestly JMB have a cheek as they went into Cleland with there 240 . First are only protecting there business in Lanarkshire as they’ve served Lanarkshire for years . Why let some other company come in and take all the passengers obviously first are protected their business and keeping local people employed.

Busmaddy

Jmb don't stick to timetables and always try and get in front of the 240 lol.
That’s so true especially on their 56 as they just don’t go by their timetable honestly if I was first I would be thinking obviously jmb 240 struggling so why not put dupes on at cleland and put a bus to Lanark like a cheap return and really make them go on their knees

Busmaddy

Plus first should make their 266 to Shotts every 10 mins and put dupes from Wishaw general hospital to Shotts and make it every 5 mins from Shotts to wishaw
That’s so true especially on their 56 as they just don’t go by their timetable honestly if I was first I would be thinking obviously jmb 240 struggling so why not put dupes on at cleland and put a bus to Lanark like a cheap return and really make them go on their knees

Jordan Adam

Established Member
JMB playing the "Small family business" card. Seen it all before, if you enter someone else's market of course they're going to try and defend it. They can't have seriously thought they could mirror First's routes and not expect them to react.

laststop@96

JMB playing the "Small family business" card. Seen it all before, if you enter someone else's market of course they're going to try and defend it. They can't have seriously thought they could mirror First's routes and not expect them to react.
Is this not the same family that owned mckindless buses and the workers turned up and gates where closed.

Busmaddy

Is this not the same family that owned mckindless buses and the workers turned up and gates where closed.
It’s vince mckindless daughter and her husband that owns it.mckindless done the tax man big time allegedly a few million pounds . Honestly they have cheek going to the local paper obviously a last resort for people to feel soz for them and hopefully it gets more customers

Busmaddy

I couldn't comment... I've always thought their livery is interesting though. :lol:
Heard that there 240 is losing money big time and there 56 is struggling to make money that’s why there doing a £2:50 2 journey from Wishaw to north Motherwell as there 56 just can’t compete against all first buses going from Wishaw to Motherwell

Busmaddy

I think if jmb didn’t have all their school contracts they would be out of business by now

laststop@96

It’s vince mckindless daughter and her husband that owns it.mckindless done the tax man big time allegedly a few million pounds . Honestly they have cheek going to the local paper obviously a last resort for people to feel soz for them and hopefully it gets more customers
How long was mckindless buses closed before jmb started.

lastbus

I can’t remember exactly with jmb started but it was roughly 6 to 7 months
Was not very long after that’s for sure they are McKindless in all but name and they have a cheek to talk about “tactics” This escapade stinks of desperation. Their 240s are running about empty and empty buses don’t make money. The fact they changed the route to go through craigneuk is a sign of desperation in itself. They have basically shown first how weak a position they are in and I wouldn’t be surprised if first now up the ante on them. Well done mad max.