• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffers2324

Glad to see the grand old lady of the fleet 33120 LT02 NWC still out and about her travels spotted her on Balmore Road just at Lambhill just before 1 o clock on the 7A out to Westburn, got to say was a pleasant surprise and according to Bus times.org she is currently on the 2100 journey 7A from City Centre Osbourne St to Rutherglen so she remained on the route today by the looks of things

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Glad to see the grand old lady of the fleet 33120 LT02 NWC still out and about her travels spotted her on Balmore Road just at Lambhill just before 1 o clock on the 7A out to Westburn, got to say was a pleasant surprise

Wonder how long they will keep her going?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Why has it been repainted? Going into city fleet?
The 500 is on reduced timetable and likely will be for the foreseeable future, so it makes sense to convert the surplus E400Citys for the city fleet rather than have them sitting collecting dust, i might be wrong but i'd suspect they may get used on the Express services.

route101

Established Member
Seen this earlier. Looks alright. Would be cool for the double deckers used on the 1C/1D to get their own branding tbh. Dunno if it'll ever happen though

The deckers used to have branding for the one. They need a interior refurb.

The 500 is on reduced timetable and likely will be for the foreseeable future, so it makes sense to convert the surplus E400Citys for the city fleet rather than have them sitting collecting dust, i might be wrong but i'd suspect they may get used on the Express services.

I see, I wonder if they will redo the interiors? Or not if they will go back to airport fleet in future.

I hope that when they do decide to stop running her in service they might offer to the GVVT would be good to keep it preserved as much as possible seeing as it is the last President in service.

Yes, despite them not being an original Glasgow bus , would be cool to see it in GVVT.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Seen this earlier. Looks alright. Would be cool for the double deckers used on the 1C/1D to get their own branding tbh. Dunno if it'll ever happen though
37214/218-227 are getting the same treatment as the enviros

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I’m surprised that First haven’t cascaded these buses elsewhere but with everything being so uncertain it’s unsure whether they’ll be needed back on airport duties eventually.

They look good in the standard livery but I fear they’ll be ruined on City work. Unless they’re strictly kept on safe routes they may end up with their windows being etched and seats being burnt...

I’m surprised that First haven’t cascaded these buses elsewhere but with everything being so uncertain it’s unsure whether they’ll be needed back on airport duties eventually.

They look good in the standard livery but I fear they’ll be ruined on City work. Unless they’re strictly kept on safe routes they may end up with their windows being etched and seats being burnt...
I know what you mean, I don't know as much now if it was repaired but a lot of the Ex First Glasgow B7RLE's had lots of scratch marks and burn marks on the back of seats and on the windows.

I know what you mean by safe routes but what routes are unsafe in Glasgow (sorry I'm not familiar with the area).

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I know what you mean, I don't know as much now if it was repaired but a lot of the Ex First Glasgow B7RLE's had lots of scratch marks and burn marks on the back of seats and on the windows.

I know what you mean by safe routes but what routes are unsafe in Glasgow (sorry I'm not familiar with the area).
It’s been hinted at that perhaps these routes will be used on Kirkintilloch routes or express routes.

As a user of buses around the east end of Glasgow they’re given a hard life. Routes like the 60 (old 40) were renown for vandalism and infact this route had singles for a good while to combat the problem. I’m not sure if it’s still as much of a problem. The 2 and 61 can be bad for etched windows sometimes. I can’t speak for every other route.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
most except 87/88/89 and express routes. any other have a high chance of vandalism. just need to have a trip on the 75 or 38 branded MMCs to show you how bad these routes are

PaulMc7

Established Member
most except 87/88/89 and express routes. any other have a high chance of vandalism. just need to have a trip on the 75 or 38 branded MMCs to show you how bad these routes are
Was just thinking this tbh. There's not many routes where vandalism could really be ruled out. Even some of the routes with terminus points in nice areas have to go through a lot of worse areas just to get there

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Vandalism can happen on any bus route. Of course there's areas more prone to it but it still can happen anywhere. Also generally speaking it's on the decline, especially compared to the 80s/90s. Most "bad" areas of Glasgow (and most other cities) are likely not as bad as some people like to claim.

That said going the full journey at the back of a B7RLE on the 255 in 2019 was quite the experience... And that was only at 9:30 - 10:30 in the morning!

The 4 I would say is a pretty safe route for buses. No rough areas that it really goes through. I used to drive the 44 years ago and can't think of anybody having any problems on it.

cnjb8

Established Member
It’s been hinted at that perhaps these routes will be used on Kirky routes or express routes.

As a user of buses around the east end of Glasgow they’re given a hard life. Routes like the 60 (old 40) were renown for vandalism and infact this route had singles for a good while to combat the problem. I’m not sure if it’s still as much of a problem. The 2 and 61 can be bad for etched windows sometimes. I can’t speak for every other route.
That's interesting, why would First think that vandalism would stop if they put singles out?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That's interesting, why would First think that vandalism would stop if they put singles out?
Because often the perception is that on the upper deck of a bus the driver can't see you as easily so you can get away with it although with CCTV that's not really true, just look at any deliberate fire on a bus in recent years, 90% of the time it's on a double decker and starts on the upper deck.

It’s been hinted at that perhaps these routes will be used on Kirky routes or express routes.

I'm guessing it's Easterhouse, I've heard its not a particularly safe place to be wandering on your own, also where is "kirky"? the first thing thing that pops to my mind is Kirkcaldy and thats basically on the other side of the country.

Wouldn't that be just as bad thought, a longer bus and less visibility for the driver.

The 4 I would say is a pretty safe route for buses. No rough areas that it really goes through. I used to drive the 44 years ago and can't think of anybody having any problems on it.
Maybe, it's probably changed though, similarly like here in Livingston it used to be all right but now its scary being in your own house.

Yeah, I remember on the news one of the new 38 branded Enviro400MMC's was subject to an arson attack last January which (I think) resulted in it being scrapped.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I'm guessing it's Easterhouse, I've heard its not a particularly safe place to be wandering on your own, also where is "kirky"? the first thing thing that pops to my mind is Kirkcaldy and thats basically on the other side of the country.
Kirkintilloch. That'll be the routes 88 and 89 already mentioned above.

cnjb8

Established Member
Because often the perception is that on the upper deck of a bus the driver can't see you as easily so you can get away with it although with CCTV that's not really true, just look at any deliberate fire on a bus in recent years, 90% of the time it's on a double decker and starts on the upper deck.
Ah thank you

Wouldn't that be just as bad thought, a longer bus and less visibility for the driver.

Maybe, it's probably changed though, similarly like here in Livingston it used to be all right but now its scary being in your own house.

Yeah, I remember on the news one of the new 38 branded Enviro400MMC's was subject to an arson attack last January which (I think) resulted in it being scrapped.
More visible for the driver than a double decker

Kirkintilloch. That'll be the routes 88 and 89 already mentioned above.
Thank you.

More visible for the driver than a double decker
True, then again the drivers focus would mainly be on the road so it would be harder for them.

Its not as much of a problem in West Lothian but a few months back I was on a Streetlite and was at the back and I could count 8 seats that were slashed with a knife, I feel bad for the company/ driver having to put up with that.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
True, then again the drivers focus would mainly be on the road so it would be harder for them.

Its not as much of a problem in West Lothian but a few months back I was on a Streetlite and was at the back and I could count 8 seats that were slashed with a knife, I feel bad for the company/ driver having to put up with that.
Unsure if you saw my previous reply or not, however i don't really think it's down to if the driver can actually see them. It's more down to the perpetrators perceptions of what the driver can see.

Glasgow does have a issue with etching on windows though, it was quite a surprise when we got the Presidents and E500s from Glasgow as so many of them had bad etching on the windows, something which is pretty much unthought of and very uncommon here. For years it was company policy that if a vehicle came from another opco and had etching that the window was replaced prior to it entering service in order to discourage any vandals up here etching. In fact come to think of it the only time i've seen etching on a window has been on a vehicle that's recently transferred from Glasgow.