• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
I used a E300 today and the seat I sat on was ripped. As for the one, Id love to live next to a route with freq like that. Hopefully the passengers come back, I for one have no problem using the buses or trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I'm somewhat surprised the B9TLs are being done too, especially given when LEZ comes in many of them will be nearing 16 years old. I would've expected the 09 plates to be the priority rather than the older 07/57 plates.

The 1/1A/1B were reportedly meant to be getting rerouted and allocated new E400MMCs, however it's pretty obvious that's been called off. Arguably it would make more sense to refurbish the E300s and put new E400MMCs on the 1C/1D displacing the Geminis.
Hopefully this is something they may look into in the future. 'the One' has always been an extremely busy route and anytime I’ve used the service it’s standing room only. I had always assumed rerouting to avoid low bridges was impractical hence why they had never attempted it, however given that it was done during the pandemic proves it can be done. E400MMCs similar sized to the ones used on the 77 would be perfect for the route or like you suggested have a mix of singles and deckers.

The E300s are ageing and could be used to eliminate some B7RLEs at other depots. The B9TLs are tired also and in need of a refurb. Now would be the right time to do this before it’s too late. The E400MMCs would have been a nice addition but sadly it all comes down to money and the current pandemic.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I believe this was SPTs decision.
Yeah I did think that. Given that Stagecoach chose to let the X19 cover it pretty quickly I'm surprised First never done anything. Bit of good publicity if they had

route101

Established Member
They should probably run a city center shuttle to it every few minutes.

Is there demand for that level of service though? I think for a lot of people they have been put off travelling on buses. I know someone that walks a fair distance to work instead of bus now.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Is there demand for that level of service though? I think for a lot of people they have been put off travelling on buses. I know someone that walks a fair distance to work instead of bus now.
Realistically, you'd maybe get something that's every 30 mins at best serving it so with the 1C/1D or X4 being every 30 mins currently and it's easy to access it from their route they'd probably be the best bet if anything was to materialise. I agree with you though about demand. Was looking on the app this morning to check something for my girlfriend and there was a 1C double decker that was completely empty just going into Scotstoun. Pre-pandemic you'd be lucky to get a seat even on a double decker just before 8am

route101

Established Member
Realistically, you'd maybe get something that's every 30 mins at best serving it so with the 1C/1D or X4 being every 30 mins currently and it's easy to access it from their route they'd probably be the best bet if anything was to materialise. I agree with you though about demand. Was looking on the app this morning to check something for my girlfriend and there was a 1C double decker that was completely empty just going into Scotstoun. Pre-pandemic you'd be lucky to get a seat even on a double decker just before 8am
I wouldn't be surprised if they diverted one of the 1 services in probably 1C or 1D. Yes services are on the whole quiet. Busier services are ones that pass through popular shopping areas eg Shawlands.I think from now on numbers will pick up a bit.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they diverted one of the 1 services in probably 1C or 1D. Yes services are on the whole quiet. Busier services are ones that pass through popular shopping areas eg Shawlands.I think from now on numbers will pick up a bit.
Yeah I think more people have went back to work recently too. Certainly seen a fair few in the last month on social media say that they are anyway

route101

Established Member
I've had a quick look at the 59 timetable and from what I have seen, it is unusable being as it runs every 35 minutes, then 40 minutes, and 45 minutes.

This will not encourage people to leave cars at home and use public transport.

I take it this is to allow the service to run to SECC. Does anyone remember how frequent the old 59 was in the 90s?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I take it , this is to allow the service to run to SECC. Does anyone remember how frequent the old 59 was in the 90s?

Just before or after the Overground concept back in 1999, I can recall that there was a Mosspark - Robroyston Asda via Springburn and Wallacewell Road every 30 minutes.

Also, I think there was the 58 that ran to Robroyston Asda via Royston Road and Provanmill.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Can't remember the exact frequency but it used to go to Drumchapel from Mosspark too and then at another point it went to Duntocher too if I remember correctly. Would likely have been a kid at that point though so may be mixing it up with the old 51

Sounds like a suitable extension for something that terminates in the city. Like the 64 or 65.

Presumably the 100 will return too.

Although probably anything will need to be SPT supported for the extension.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Surely the best option would be to just divert the X19 in to the SECC. It pretty much goes past already anyway.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Surprised there's also no mention of the fact that First serve the other 4 vaccination centres in Glasgow too. Would be good to have information so that people know they can get buses to them.

Easterhouse, Barmulloch, Castlemilk and Drumchapel are the places with one

Scotrail88

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
Sounds like a suitable extension for something that terminates in the city. Like the 64 or 65.

Presumably the 100 will return too.

Although probably anything will need to be SPT supported for the extension.
100 carried fresh air, when I seen it.

Can't remember the exact frequency but it used to go to Drumchapel from Mosspark too and then at another point it went to Duntocher too if I remember correctly. Would likely have been a kid at that point though so may be mixing it up with the old 51
Used to have Deckers on it. 51 I only remember that going to Queenslie, though I think it went up GWR road. Did the 59 go via Glasgow Uni?

38A-Z

100 carried fresh air, when I seen it.

Used to have Deckers on it. 51 I only remember that going to Queenslie, though I think it went up GWR road. Did the 59 go via Glasgow Uni?
I think the 59 went from Mosspark to Kelvindale, mostly Volvo Ailsas, not sure of the route but I’d guess it did go via Glasgow uni.

sannox

I think the 59 went from Mosspark to Kelvindale, mostly Volvo Ailsas, not sure of the route but I’d guess it did go via Glasgow uni.

Mosspark, Pollokshields, Eglinton Toll, City Centre, Charing Cross, University, Kelvindale. Indeed the current day 59 to Glasgow is pretty similar although I think the route is slightly changed in Pollokshields. In the latter days in the west end it copied the 44 until it turned onto Clarence Drive whereas the 59 ran all the way up Hyndland Rd, onto Cleveden Road and Dochester Avenue before heading along GWR back to Hyndland Road.

Volvodart

Established Member
The Aberdeen one has been there for some time, probably before the main centre in Aberdeen was opened.

route101

Established Member
Mosspark, Pollokshields, Eglinton Toll, City Centre, Charing Cross, University, Kelvindale. Indeed the current day 59 to Glasgow is pretty similar although I think the route is slightly changed in Pollokshields. In the latter days in the west end it copied the 44 until it turned onto Clarence Drive whereas the 59 ran all the way up Hyndland Rd, onto Cleveden Road and Dochester Avenue before heading along GWR back to Hyndland Road.

Pollokshields is a strange place, quiet for bus usage, has 3 infrequent routes, 59.90 and 121. Pretty sure the 90 had its route changed there too. The 11 ran via Hyndland I think too. 159, forgot about that route, was that the split from existing 59?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Pollokshields has 2 train stations and apart from where the shops are the area mostly consists of £500000+ houses with 2/3 cars each. I'm amazed the 90 attracts anyone from them onto it given that the 59 and 121 are both spt tenders too