• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Scott mac

With all these electric buses now in service, you would think a few routes would be fully electric by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I saw E400ev on the X8 yesterday. It made me wonder for a second, until I realised it's Caledonia-operated now.

With all these electric buses now in service u would think a few routes would be fully electric by now
The 9 and 7 must be nearly all electric.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I saw E400ev on the X8 yesterday. It made me wonder for a second, until I realised it's Caledonia-operated now.

The 9 and 7 must be nearly all electric.
I don’t think the EVs have the range to convert any route to 100% electric operation. The 61 still sees B9TLs and routes like the 7 and 9 are still seeing diesels interworked. Most routes see diesels at night and the EVs are back in the depot pretty sharp… Unless range improves then I’m not sure how they’ll get around that going forward.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I actually quite like that the electric vehicles are really spread out instead of being dedicated to a few select services. If services are just full of old tat constantly I think it puts people off using them. Comfort is probably a bigger factor than we think at times.

I use the buses because they're better than the trains, cheaper and I don't drive but if you have the choice between all 3, cost and comfort become far more important and at times in Glasgow, that's certainly not been in First's favour.

The other factor is of course, actually turning up and to give First some credit, there have been far less cancellations since the timetables went back to normal on the 4th from what I've experienced. I hope they continue to bridge the gap in driver requirements so that we eventually have days with 0 cancellations.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I actually quite like that the electric vehicles are really spread out instead of being dedicated to a few select services. If services are just full of old tat constantly I think it puts people off using them. Comfort is probably a bigger factor than we think at times.

I use the buses because they're better than the trains, cheaper and I don't drive but if you have the choice between all 3, cost and comfort become far more important and at times in Glasgow, that's certainly not been in First's favour.

The other factor is of course, actually turning up and to give First some credit, there have been far less cancellations since the timetables went back to normal on the 4th from what I've experienced. I hope they continue to bridge the gap in driver requirements so that we eventually have days with 0 cancellations.
Yes, the First Glasgow fleet is quite modern now. Where I stay the train is like £3.10 return off peak compared to £6 odd for the network all day.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yes, the First Glasgow fleet is quite modern now. Where I stay the train is like £3.10 return off peak compared to £6 odd for the network all day.
I think it's £3.80-4 for me but I rarely ever just need to go to the City Centre and back and with there being so many more buses than trains and them actually being more reliable at the minute, using the bus is a no brainer. For a monthly ticket, First are just under £25 a month cheaper too if I was to get a job in the city centre.

A lot of people think the bus is really expensive because when the media mention it they only focus on the price of singles and also completely ignore the lack of funding which causes single prices to go up. Considering the costs involved in the industry now, the prices aren't outrageous.

Last edited:

Stef434

As long as they're separated properly through a forthcoming section like First currently use then that shouldn't happen unless people make their own mistakes. The public should be made aware as soon as possible given that they keep the company in profit.

The other issue is bus stops being updated properly but I doubt First will take responsibility for that and leave it to SPT again.
First Glasgow did take responsibility in doing bus stop information, they supplied transport, manpower and technical back office software, on behalf of SPT. This included independent operating companies' timetables. The new layout is in the livery of SPT with all operating companies details at the appropriate stop.

PaulMc7

Established Member
First Glasgow did take responsibility in doing bus stop information, they supplied transport, manpower and technical back office software, on behalf of SPT,this included independent operating companies timetables, the new layout is in the livery of SPT with all operating companies details at the appropriate stop.
I hope First are far quicker to update timetables at stops when the timetables change this time around. I feel for older people as they had no clue until very recently what frequencies services were actually running on because nothing was updated. Even with changes occurring so frequently, First still needs to update stops very quickly for the sake of passengers. They've got less of an excuse for not updating them as changes are happening far less frequently than they were during the beginning of Covid.

jagardner1984

I hope First are far quicker to update timetables at stops when the timetables change this time around. I feel for older people as they had no clue until very recently what frequencies services were actually running on because nothing was updated. Even with changes occurring so frequently, First still needs to update stops very quickly for the sake of passengers. They've got less of an excuse for not updating them as changes are happening far less frequently than they were during the beginning of Covid.
The irony of "scan this QR code" was that presumably those who had access to such wonder devices may have made some enquiries where a bus might be going and when it might arrive before they were standing in the pouring rain to scan a QR code. The bus stop should perhaps have slightly more accessible information.

route101

Established Member
The irony of "scan this QR code" was that presumably those who had access to such wonder devices may have made some enquiries where a bus might be going and when it might arrive before they were standing in the pouring rain to scan a QR code. The bus stop should perhaps have slightly more accessible information.
The QR codes are the lazy way to do timetables. Flixbus do that even when they have only a few services calling at the stop.

I think it's £3.80-4 for me but I rarely ever just need to go to the City Centre and back and with there being so many more buses than trains and them actually being more reliable at the minute, using the bus is a no brainer. For a monthly ticket, First are just under £25 a month cheaper too if I was to get a job in the city centre.

A lot of people think the bus is really expensive because when the media mention it they only focus on the price of singles and also completely ignore the lack of funding which causes single prices to go up. Considering the costs involved in the industry now, the prices aren't outrageous.
First Glasgow prices are not that bad. When Scotrail removes peak fares this year, will make its cheaper for many. I wish there was a train/bus combo ticket in Glasgow.

Stan Drews

Established Member
First Glasgow no longer update bus stop information. They have entered into a new arrangement with SPT, who have provided the new information that has appeared at bus stops over the last few months. A third party contractor actually puts the info up at the stops.

PaulMc7

Established Member
34402 is finally out in service on the 88 today according to Bustimes.org. This is the 72 plate E400 MMC.

lastbus

First Glasgow no longer update bus stop information. They have entered into a new arrangement with SPT, who have provided the new information that has appeared at bus stops over the last few months. A third party contractor actually puts the info up at the stops.
It was a First Glasgow employee that I saw putting up the new timetables with the SPT background.

34402 is finally out in service on the 88 today according to Bustimes.org. This is the 72 plate E400 MMC.

So this is Caledonia’s only 10.9m diesel, interesting it isn’t a 10.3m variant.

This has been posted on reddit

First Bus service changes from 5th Feb​

Service 3, Drumchapel – Govan Bus Station Minor change to early morning Sunday journeys, No changes to Monday – Saturday timetable.
Service 4/4A, Eaglesham/Newton Mearns – Broomhill Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 5, Glasgow City Centre, Osborne Street - Castlemilk Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 7/7A, Summerston – Rutherglen/Westburn Service 7A revised to operate hourly between Rutherglen & Cambuslang. Minor changes to some early morning/late night journeys daily.
Service 8, Partick Bus Station - Parkhead Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 10, Glasgow, City Centre - Silverburn Service revised daily to operate every 30 minutes during the day and every 40 minutes in the evenings. Revised route within Glasgow City Centre, service will now operate to/from West Regent Street. Service will operate as current route to Hope Street then right into West Regent Street to Bus Stand. Departing from West Regent Street, via left into West Nile Street, left into Bath Street, left into Renfield Street and then as normal route. Section of route on Bath Street, Douglas Street & Blythswood Street will no longer be served.
Service 16, Blairdardie – QUEH Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 19, Glasgow, City Centre, West George St - Easterhouse Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily. Evening service revised to operate every 40 minutes daily.
Service 31, Glasgow, City Centre, Osborne Street - Carmunnock Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 34, Castlemilk – Govan Bus Station Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 38A/B/C/E Revised timetable daily Monday – Saturday daytime Service 38C revised to operate every 45 minutes between City Centre, West George Street and Chryston.
Service 41, Glasgow, City Centre, West Regent St - Easterhouse Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 43, Easterhouse - Parkhead Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 46, Easterhouse - Castlemilk Changes to some early morning/evening journeys. daily.
Service 57/A, Auchinairn/Balornock East - Silverburn/Kennishead Changes to some early morning/evening journeys. daily.
Service 60/60A, Easterhouse – Clydebank/Milngavie Changes to some early morning/evening journeys. daily.
Service 61, Sandyhills - Summerston Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily.
Service 64, Glasgow, City Centre, Osborne Street - Carmyle Revised timetable, Monday – Saturday.
Service 77, Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Station – Glasgow Airport Changes to some early morning/evening journeys on Saturday and Sunday. No Change to timetable Monday – Friday.
Service 90, Partick Bus Station – Braehead Changes to some early morning/evening journeys, daily. Sunday service revised to operate generally every 45 minutes.
Service 500, Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Station – Glasgow Airport Introduction of through the night service, reinstating the hourly 24 hour service. From 26 March 2023 Monday to Friday service will increase to every 12 minutes, Additional evening trips will also be added daily.
Service M11, Gartnavel Hospital - Clydebank First journey from Clydebank withdrawn on a Saturday morning. No change to Monday – Friday timetable.
Service M60, Clydebank – Drumchapel First journey from Drumchapel withdrawn on Monday – Friday mornings. No change to Saturday timetable.
Service X4, Glasgow, City Centre, Stockwell Place - Knightswood Revised timetable, daily. Last journey in each direction withdrawn & Sunday daytime frequency revised to operate every 40 minutes.
Service X8, Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Station – Pollok/Silverburn Sunday frequency revised to operate every 40 minutes. No change to Monday – Saturday timetable.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are First going back to doing what they did earlier in Covid by making changes on a depot by depot basis instead of all at once? I'd imagine Dumbarton probably won't need changes anytime soon if the driver situation is fine as other posters have previously mentioned with Overtown also being like this. I'd imagine some changes may come at Blantyre with some reductions but it certainly seems better when I've used their services compared to before in terms of cancellations.

In 2020-2021, changes were usually made in a pattern where the Glasgow depots would make changes then the others would follow 2-3 weeks afterwards.

Bus Lightyear

I'm sure I read somewhere that this particular vehicle was an insurance replacement for the E400MMC that was badly fire damaged by vandals at Glasgow Fort.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Lanarkshire changes are scheduled for the end of February.
Are there any reductions planned among those changes or does the driver situation at Overtown help compress the need for cuts compared to Caledonia and Scotstoun? Are there any changes planned for Dumbarton?

Last edited:
I'm sure I read somewhere that this particular vehicle was an insurance replacement for the E400MMC that was badly fire damaged by vandals at Glasgow Fort.
Was a replacement for LK55 ACO gemini B7TL the Strathclyde buses livery one, 34368 is being rebuilt and should be back pretty soon.

ChrisPJ

This insurance replacement story sounds a bit far fetched to me.

A company the size of First claiming on what must be a very expensive policy, for a 17 year old vehicle? Really?

Would be good to have a source for this info. Otherwise, it looks like enthusiast chat which is at risk of becoming gospel when repeated enough.