• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Tom Gallacher

Those E500s were pretty decent buses from what I can remember as a passenger. I used to use the 44 a lot when that had them. I never really had any issue with them.

The other thing I liked about them is that they had more seats than anything we have now too. As far as I can remember they had 13 more seats than the E400EVs.
When they ran the tri-axles on the 44 they used to destroy the road surface when turning from Cowdenhill Road into Knightswood Rd on a weekly basis. I assume that this would have been happening elsewhere on the route as well wherever a sharp turn was needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E500EVs are now available. Which could mean running less buses on a route, with more passengers and using less scarce drivers.

Although parking habits around bus stops woukd need to be improved dramatically to get Best use.
It won't happen.

First have been reluctant to buy larger models for years let alone mega expensive two-axle EVs.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It won't happen.

First have been reluctant to buy larger models for years let alone mega expensive two-axle EVs.
I could honestly see us getting nothing except the latest version of the E400EVs, more E200EVs and maybe the Yutongs if they're successful in Aberdeen. I'd be shocked if we ever got anything else now for the foreseeable.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It was only due to the managing director at the time that they ever got them.
I wish they had gone with the original plan and we could have seen them used on the 62. I think it’s one of the very few instances where deckers have been ordered from new for the 62 since First took over. I know the Nordics were loaned to Parkhead for a time. Now would be the ideal time with all the cuts and shortages of drivers. I have no idea how the 2 will cope with all singles going forward.

I could honestly see us getting nothing except the latest version of the E400EVs, more E200EVs and maybe the Yutongs if they're successful in Aberdeen. I'd be shocked if we ever got anything else now for the foreseeable.
Eventually Lanarkshire and Dumbarton will need to procure newer vehicles. The E300s at Dumbarton are nearly 11 years old now. With the longer range needed for these routes - I’d imagine if they’re going to get Yutongs they’ll be for those depots when the finally get charging ports.

I wish they had gone with the original plan and we could have seen them used on the 62. I think it’s one of the very few instances where deckers have been ordered from new for the 62 since First took over. I know the Nordics were loaned to Parkhead for a time. Now would be the ideal time with all the cuts and shortages of drivers. I have no idea how the 2 will cope with all singles going forward.
The 2 will have too cope, it’s directors who make the call irregardless of the realities on the roads.

Eventually Lanarkshire and Dumbarton will need to procure newer vehicles. The E300s at Dumbarton are nearly 11 years old now. With the longer range needed for these routes - I’d imagine if they’re going to get Yutongs they’ll be for those depots when the finally get charging ports.
The perfect replacement? A Class 2-build Plaxton Panther LE but at the shorter 13.8m length.

PaulMc7

Established Member
After the government funding cut, are there any services people feel could be under threat to be axed or reduced?

From what I've seen, the main one I'd say could be at risk is the 16. The peak journeys probably help a bit but I can't remember the last time I used it off peak where it had more than single digits in terms of passenger numbers and on a Saturday it's been even quieter than that.

I could also see a situation where First do what Mcgills are doing by axing services and adjusting others to cover certain areas.

route101

Established Member
It sure did. I remember back when it had Darts but that was in the Overground days before there were so many different variations. It’s hard to think of that now as the 38s are always brimming particularly at peak times - they easily fill a decker. Sometimes before they went to Aberdeen - you’d see the odd E500 on the 38s. I got one on the 38A, 38C and 38E routes.
I remember having one on the 31 a few times.

Brimfulofasha

Although parking habits around bus stops woukd need to be improved dramatically to get Best use.

Can't see that happening - council-enforcement is at an all time low! My bus stop last night (outside the shops where St Vincent Street changes to Argyle Street) was fully parked with cars - I had to jump out into the road to flag down the 2.

And then I had to endure young vapers in both directions. Not quite as bad as cigarettes but I still don't like it.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Can't see that happening - council-enforcement is at an all time low! My bus stop last night (outside the shops where St Vincent Street changes to Argyle Street) was fully parked with cars - I had to jump out into the road to flag down the 2.

And then I had to endure young vapers in both directions. Not quite as bad as cigarettes but I still don't like it.
If the council enforced punishments for people parking in bus stops and bus lanes they'd make an absolute fortune. Shawlands is another area where it's absolutely awful especially on Kilmarnock Road. Duke Street and Shettleston Road are also absolutely dreadful.

Brimfulofasha

On another note, I'm flying out next week and planning on using the 500 but, despite the website saying the easiest way to get tickets is via the mTickets app, I cannot seem to find them on it. Am I missing something? Is it on some special section?

Rgy88

On another note, I'm flying out next week and planning on using the 500 but, despite the website saying the easiest way to get tickets is via the mTickets app, I cannot seem to find them on it. Am I missing something? Is it on some special section?
In the "buy tickets" menu on the app go to "select area"
"Greater Glasgow" and there are options for Airport express, local, city and network

route101

Established Member
I had that problem too, couldn't find them.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I do wonder just how much money First cost themselves out of when ticket machines don't work. The buses out of Dumbarton depot seem especially bad at the minute for this but nothing seems to be done about it going from the driver conversations I've heard recently.

When my 1A back into Glasgow from Dumbarton was changing driver today, the one going for his break said he had asked the depot for a replacement bus and they didn't give him one. I find that odd given that the 1A goes by the entrance of the industrial estate that Dumbarton depot is in so it's easy enough to swap over.

On another note, today was the first time I've seen an E300 on the M11 for a fair while. I noticed this at Clydebank while on my way to Dumbarton and then again coming back.

Volvodart

Established Member
The fare changes have been announced:-

Forthcoming fare changes

Changes to our fares from April 2nd 2023.​

First Glasgow is introducing a range of new prices and ticketing options following a fares review.
While prices will increase, First Bus is implementing these changes to reflect the significantly increased operational costs that it - like many transport operators - is facing and has worked hard to keep prices below the rate of Consumer Price Index inflation. According to the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT), outgoings for bus operators in the UK have risen by around 23% since 2019.
Duncan Cameron, Managing Director of First Bus Scotland, said: "Tap On Tap Off travel has been well-received in Glasgow since its introduction in 2022. It's fast, easy to use and great value, and we're confident that with these updates, frequent travellers will be able to make further great savings.
"The updates to our ticketing structure are essential to allow us to continue to deliver and grow our services across Glasgow. Like so many other transport providers, we're facing significant rising costs across our operations, and fare increases reflect that. Nonetheless, we have strived to keep increases to a minimum - and below the Consumer Price Inflation wherever we can.
"Bus remains one of the cheapest, most convenient, and sustainable ways of travelling around Glasgow. Through investment in new electric buses and on-board technology, we're making great efforts to make it even more comfortable and environmentally friendly mode of transport in the city."
For more information on Tap On, Tap Off; please click here.
Please see below an overview of fares in place from 2nd April 2023.

Single Tickets​

Ticket TypePrice

Available on Bus Only​

Adult Single - Starting from£1.95
Child Single£1.45
Single Hampden Adult£3.20
Single Hampden Child£2.50
Return Hampden Adult£5.00
Return Hampden Child£2.50
Job Seeker Single City/Local/Network50% off

Available on App Only​

2-Trip 24hrs City / Local (2 singles)£5.00
2-Trip 24hrs Network (2 singles)£6.10
Flexi 10 City / Local£24.40
Flexi 10 Network£26.20
Night Bus City / Local Single£3.20
Night Bus Network Single£4.30

Under 22s are Free To Explore!

5–21-year-olds living in Scotland are entitled to free bus travel by simply applying for the updated NEC card.
You can apply online for your NEC card to travel free of charge ➡ getyournec.scot

First Day Tickets​

Ticket TypePrice

Available on Bus and App​

Adult Day City / Local£5.40
Adult Day Network£7.25
Family Day City / Local£9.70
Family Day Network£12.95
Student Day City / Local£4.60
Student Day Network£5.70
First Day Alexandria£3.90
First Day Dumbarton£3.90
First Day Lanarkshire£3.80
First Day North Lanarkshire£4.00
First Day Motherwell£4.95
First Day Partick QEUH£3.65

Available on Bus Only​

Adult 6pm + City / Local Day£4.30
Adult 6pm + Network Day£5.40
Child Day£2.50

Flexible Day Ticket Bundles - Available on App Only​

Ticket Type3-in-7 Bundle5-in-7 Bundle15-in-28 Bundle
Adult
City / Local£14.70£18.60£55.00
Network£19.10£24.00£68.70
Students
City / Local£13.10£16.40£46.40
Network£16.40£20.20£58.90

First Week Tickets​

Ticket TypePrice

Available on App and Bus​

Adult Week City / Local£20.40
Adult Week Network£26.70
Adult Week Motherwell£15.00
Student Week City / Local£18.00
Student Week Network£22.90

Available on App Only​

Adult Week Lanarkshire£15.00
Adult Week North Lanarkshire£16.00

Available on Bus Only​

Child Week Network£9.80

First Month + Tickets​

Ticket TypePrice (Available on App only)
Adult 4 Week City / Local£61.80
Adult 4 Week Network£77.40
Student 4 Week City / Local£54.70
Student 4 Week Network£66.40
Student 12 Week City / Local£131.00
Student 12 Week Network£175.50
Adult First Year City / Local£545.00
Adult First Year Network£646.00
Student Fist Year City / Local£440.00
Student First Year Network£545.00

First Unlimited​

The most convenient way to pay monthly for your bus ticket and save money! Click here for more info.
Ticket TypePrice (Available on App only)
First Unlimited City / Local£54.00
First Unlimited Network£65.40

PaulMc7

Established Member
The fare changes have been announced:-

The increases on the First Unlimited tickets are so much less than I imagined given that they didn't go up the last time there was a price increase. Lets just hope that more people become aware of those tickets but in the past, I've mentioned them to people and they had no idea that they existed.

KrisEK

No mention at all of the Commuter Club ticket - is that staying as it is then, or is that a fixed percentage off the First Unlimited ticket? (£47.70 monthly for a City zone ticket at the moment.)

PaulMc7

Established Member
One thing I just realised after noticing the thread about services that are still every 10 mins or better is that First no longer have any services where the full route is every 10 mins or better now. It's only parts of certain routes.

"The One" set combines to 4-6 minute gaps between Scotstoun and the City Centre and 10 minute gaps between the A82 at Milton and Clydebank and then the 1D adds in to make a 6-6-8 pattern until they connect with the 1C at Kingsway.

The 6/6A combine for every 7-8 mins between George Square and Anniesland Cross.

The 9/9A combine for every 7-8 mins between Cardonald and Buchanan Bus Station.

The 38s combine for every 7-8 mins between Giffnock and Alexandra Parade and obviously the 38C adds into this on the east part of that.

The 57/57A combines to every 10 mins between Thornliebank Station and Red Road.

The 87/88 combine for every 10 mins between Balgrayhill Road and Buchanan Bus Station.

The 88 and 89s combine for every 10 mins between Buchanan Bus Station and Strathkelvin Retail Park although this isn't balanced due to the differing routes of the 88s to the 89s and the 89B to everything else through Mavis Valley on its own.

The 241 is every 7-8 mins between North Motherwell and Motherwell only.

The 266 is every 7-8 mins between Hamilton and Newmains Cross only.

I have 2 questions on this too:

1) Could anyone have predicted this even a year before Covid?

2) Will any services get back to every 10 mins eventually?

Stan_Butler

With regards to the fares increase, does anyone know what the City long-hop single will be? Only seems to show the short hop single, which is going up to £1.95. Also will the Two trip ticket only be available on the app and no longer available on bus?

Volvodart

Established Member
With regards to the fares increase, does anyone know what the City long-hop single will be? Only seems to show the short hop single, which is going up to £1.95. Also will the Two trip ticket only be available on the app and no longer available on bus?

Last time they issued a more detailed fare guide near the date of change.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I will give First credit for the fact there have been a lot less cancellations on at least a Monday to Thursday basis now than there has been since the driver shortage kicked in.

Fridays and Saturdays aren't great but that's expected when the night buses run and tomorrow also requires the Hampden express for the Scotland game too so the resources available drop a bit.

One very odd thing I've noticed though is that Scotstoun's management seem to use the cancellation feature roughly once a month and it's always on a Friday or Saturday from what I've noticed.

My overall experience of the buses lately though is as positive as it's been since the height of Covid. Other than some tracking issues with buses especially out of Dumbarton, everything has generally been good. I've also experienced a lot more pleasant drivers too compared to before.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Anyone know what the plan is for Aberdeen’s Yutongs in Glasgow? Anyone know what routes they’re going to enter service in?

PaulMc7

Established Member
If I was to hazard a guess regarding orders that First will place, it'll be the new version of the E400EVs next and then the Yutong E12s for the order after that. I'd imagine that would take them up to 2025-26 considering that we still have Scotstoun's E200EVs to come next.

I'd definitely hope Yutongs come here because they're vastly superior to the E200EVs.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Is First Glasgow getting them?
No, they are on demonstration to Glasgow for a few weeks so they can evaluate and compare them with the BYD/ADL EVs. This had always been part of the plan. All 24 are expected to be in Aberdeen by the end of next month with entry in to service likely in May.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
No, they are on demonstration to Glasgow for a few weeks so they can evaluate and compare them with the BYD/ADL EVs. This had always been part of the plan. All 24 are expected to be in Aberdeen by the end of next month with entry in to service likely in May.
I’m not sure how much more convincing they need that the Yutongs are clearly the better product. Scotstoun should have got 50 E12s instead of more E200EVs.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I’m not sure how much more convincing they need that the Yutongs are clearly the better product. Scotstoun should have got 50 E12s instead of more E200EVs.
Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a further order of Yutongs for the 2 and move the E200EVs to Lanarkshire...