• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I’m optimistic an order of new generation E400EVs will be announced shortly to start replacing the B9TLs. The earliest B9TLs are now 16 years old.

I’m not sure about the low heights. They could be doing with a refurb but are only a year older than the E300s so I doubt they’ll be going anywhere soon unless they get transferred. I would be surprised if new low heights ever get ordered for the route - I don’t think the 6 is what it once was so I imagine it’ll be singles once the E400s go.
I'd be surprised if the next large order isn't for deckers, especially given there's still around 75 B9TLs in the fleet which are now between 14 and 16 years of age. The new generation Enviro400EV does seem the most likely option, but with a new generation Enviro200EV still seemingly quite a while away it does make me wonder what any potential single deck order would be, as I can't see them buying any more BYDs. I think it's pretty clear that with hindsight they shouldn't have ordered so many when much superior products were coming to market. I'm still not convinced Battery-Electric is 100% the solution in the longer term.

There aren't currently any deckers on the market that are low enough for the 6 in the first place unless they managed to get something bespoke.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I’ve noticed 65101/65106 have been out and about but is there any sign of anymore of the Yutongs heading out and in particular Scotstoun’s batch? I’m keen to catch them on the 2.

GaryBrown156

Is the trend with redeploying the 9/9A branded E200EV's to the 10/57/57A, and the B9TL's to the 9/9A likely to continue for the foreseeable? I read on here that this change has been implemented due to the recent arson attacks on deckers over Pollok way, but it is causing capacity issues on the City Centre to Auchinairn section of 57/57A especially during rush hour. I fully agree with First's decision not to endanger staff, the public, or risk having any more of their vehicles torched. But If this is likely to be an ongoing problem (which looks likely) then they should definitely consider cutting the route so that passengers from other areas don't have to be crammed onto a single decker like sardines.
I'd actually go as far to suggest that First could probably get away with just running the 57/57A as Auchinairn to Shawlands Cross only, and cover the City Centre to Silverburn section with SD operated X8 and 10's as the train from Central already serves a lot of the 'dodgy' neighbourhoods between Shawlands Cross and Silverburn.

Also, I don't know whether this is related or not, but I've noticed a fairly noticeable reduction of E400MMC/EV's on the 38's and these now seem to be predominantly B9TL operated. Does anyone know why that is the case?

Last edited by a moderator:

sannox

You are correct the 57/57a are leaving the town to the southside often full and standing. It's a bit of an issue.

scosutsut

Didn't First get ScotGov funding To Euro 6 the B9TLs? If they did, and one less Scottish subsidiary to dump them on, I would suggest much more is expected of them yet?

Edit - digging:

Phase 2 they got funding for 40 vehicles.
Phase 4 they got funding for 49 vehicles.

No clarity on what vehicles though.

Volvodart

Established Member
It depends what they get rid of when the 50 new electric buses arrive. The Enviro300s are all probably in the same situation.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It depends what they get rid of when the 50 new electric buses arrive. The Enviro300s are all probably in the same situation.
Many E300s are due to go off lease. The E400MMC branded for the 41 are due to leave for Essex and I believe some more B9TLs will go down South. I wouldn’t be surprised if they started to transfer out more E400MMC to balance out the age profile throughout First.

I think the only thing saving the low height E400s is the fact that they are the only deckers able to be used on the 6.

route101

Established Member
The two B9TLs from Glasgow that are on loan to Aberdeen are both knackered so it wouldn't surprise me if much of Glasgow's are the same. Both have had breakdowns and they only entered service yesterday. Reminds me of the situation with 69038/39/42/67; everyone at Glasgow said they were decent buses yet when they got here they were completely knackered and unreliable. 69042 was rejected and sent back with a list of defects and yet was in service with Glasgow the next day!
First fleet up in Aberdeen is much nicer than Glasgows.

E400Lover101

First fleet up in Aberdeen is much nicer than Glasgows.
I do agree, They have older buses but those Streetdecks they have are horrible (My Opinion) and same with our E200 and E400EVs, The only good buses we have are the Geminis and the E400s

Last edited by a moderator:

trei2k

Perhaps it has already been discussed, but does anyone know why the location of each bus is such a mess in the firstbus app? (I'm not talking about the bus due in X mins, but the function in the app that shows the location of each bus).

Sometimes you'll click on a bus that is due in 5 mins or so and you'll be presented with the live position of a bus at the other side of town, sometimes it will show you multiple random buses at the other end of the route, and sometimes there is just nothing. First could make life easier for everyone and just make their location information available in an open data format to be included in bustimes.org or other services. I appreciate in Scotland there isn't the legal requirement to make this data available to others, but McGills, Stagecoach, Westcoast, CityLink, Lothian, amongst others all provide this data. It is really just First Glasgow and First Aberdeen that are the stand out firms that fail to make this data available.

Rory N

Anyone had the chance to try one yet
I did last Saturday on the 7A. Inside they are built to a higher quality than other buses in Glasgow. The seats are nice and big and even the paint on the grab rails have a texture (probably to avoid vandalism). The only bad thing is the stopping bell noise it is very different and loud.

This is the only photo I have. It‘s the back of the bus as it was very busy down the front.

Attachments

• B04621B5-40EA-43FB-9671-8ECC9A138CFF.jpeg
    B04621B5-40EA-43FB-9671-8ECC9A138CFF.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

G42

Any insiders know how flexible First are? What are the minimum hours?

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I did last Saturday on the 7A. Inside they are built to a higher quality than other buses in Glasgow. The seats are nice and big and even the paint on the grab rails have a texture (probably to avoid vandalism). The only bad thing is the stopping bell noise it is very different and loud.

This is the only photo I have. It‘s the back of the bus as it was very busy down the front.
Stuff like the stopping bells and indicators can be easily adjusted, although i'll be surprised if they actually are...

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

They look very nice and something a bit different for First. I wish First would stick to a standard interior design but I do like the higher back seating.

I’d love to see these buses on the 2. They’d be perfect for that route. I do wonder what the reasoning was ordering these for Aberdeen and not Glasgow…

stevenedin

They look very nice and something a bit different for First. I wish First would stick to a standard interior design but I do like the higher back seating.

I’d love to see these buses on the 2. They’d be perfect for that route. I do wonder what the reasoning was ordering these for Aberdeen and not Glasgow…
Possibly a trial to see how they go and then if they are successful they may order some for Glasgow

Joerf21

Cant understand why they have not tried out electric buses on the 2, as they are due for the 2 very soon

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Cant understand why they have not tried out electric buses on the 2, as they are due for the 2 very soon
I think the plan is to have some Yutongs based out of Scotstoun and they will be trialled on the 2 but I get what you mean, it does seem strange that E200EVs haven’t been trialled on the 2 prior to making such a huge order.

Unless they have and it’s just not been picked up but I don’t recall it ever being done.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think the plan is to have some Yutongs based out of Scotstoun and they will be trialled on the 2 but I get what you mean, it does seem strange that E200EVs haven’t been trialled on the 2 prior to making such a huge order.

Unless they have and it’s just not been picked up but I don’t recall it ever being done.
Don't believe there is any plans for the Yutongs to be trialled at Scotstoun, it was just a rumour. They'll likely be in Aberdeen before the chargers at Scotstoun are ready anyway.

Changes have registered for Dumbarton services in June

• FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Balloch or Helensburgh or CLydebank or Drumchapel to Glasgow, City Centre Osbourne Street or Stockwell Place via Glassford Street, Howard Street, Argyle Street, Scotstoun, Clydebank, Old Kilpatrick, Bellsmyre, Dumbarton, Renton, Alexandria, Vale of Leven Hospital, Napierston Farm, Haldane, Balloch Bus Stance, Lomond Shores, Bonholl
    Service number: 1 (1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E)
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 04 Jun 2023
  • PM0000006/9 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Townend Road or Westcliff Terminus to Balloch, Bus Stance or Haldane Terminus or Townend Road
    Service number: 206
    Effective date:04 Jun 2023

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: SILVERTON, MILLBURN CRESCENT to BRUCEHILL OR WESTCLIFF CIRCULAR
    Service number: 208

PaulMc7

Established Member
Changes have registered for Dumbarton services in June

• FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Balloch or Helensburgh or CLydebank or Drumchapel to Glasgow, City Centre Osbourne Street or Stockwell Place via Glassford Street, Howard Street, Argyle Street, Scotstoun, Clydebank, Old Kilpatrick, Bellsmyre, Dumbarton, Renton, Alexandria, Vale of Leven Hospital, Napierston Farm, Haldane, Balloch Bus Stance, Lomond Shores, Bonholl
    Service number: 1 (1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E)
  • PM0000006/9 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Townend Road or Westcliff Terminus to Balloch, Bus Stance or Haldane Terminus or Townend Road
    Service number: 206
    Effective date:04 Jun 2023

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: SILVERTON, MILLBURN CRESCENT to BRUCEHILL OR WESTCLIFF CIRCULAR
    Service number: 208
Does anyone know what these involve? I have noticed just how busy the 1s are getting now. Standing room only is common at off peak times in and out of Glasgow from Scotstoun.