• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

E400Lover101

SG23 WUC - 46
SG23 WUH - 4A
Those are all the Yutongs that I know and what routes they're on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I got one on the 9a today and the First interior makes the buses feel very drab and dark inside.

Jarcoed

Noticed that only single deckers are allowed on the 3, X8, 10 and 57 due to the current situation in the Pollok area.

Also, I spotted a First Leicester Kite Electroliner at Caledonia Depot; I wonder what it is doing there.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Noticed that only single deckers are allowed on the 3, X8, 10 and 57 due to the current situation in the Pollok area.

Also, I spotted a First Leicester Kite Electroliner at Caledonia Depot; I wonder what it is doing there.
The services are majority single decker but I got a double decker 3 today and I saw another couple of double deckers on Pollok routes too. The services being majorly single decker are causing issues at peak times though. I do wonder how long it'll be before they revert back to the usual allocations on these services. The 9 and 9A are definitely benefitting though. They seem to be mostly double deckers now.

f23

I'm not sure why 63502 is at Caledonia as 63501 has gone up for 'The Association of Local Bus Company Managers Album Conference 2023'

PaulMc7

Established Member
I do wonder if we will ever end up with other electric buses that aren't E200EVs, E400EVs or Yutongs. Realistically, I'd expect First to play it safe with so many buses likely to be needed over the next few years, especially due to the age of some of the double deckers. Even the E400s are 12 years old this year.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does anyone at First regularly check seat quality on buses? I've noticed a few of the older double deckers especially looking really worn and on the E400s, some of the seats seem to be full of dirt and also really worn out.

Does anyone at First regularly check seat quality on buses? I've noticed a few of the older double deckers especially looking really worn and on the E400s, some of the seats seem to be full of dirt and also really worn out.
It’s a money “making” operation, such things are more or less forgotten about..

PaulMc7

Established Member
It’s a money “making” operation, such things are more or less forgotten about..
It seems to be an issue on buses out of Scotstoun depot more than anywhere else to be fair and it's a more recent thing. Other than the E400MMCs, a lot of the fleet really isn't the best in that depot.

G42

Hi folks, I’ve been offered a trainee position at Caledonia. Haven’t had my contract through yet but excited to start training!

I‘ve been told I’ll be working the routes out of Buchanan Street. How does that work, do you clock-on at Buchanan St or Caledonia? If your shift doesn’t start and end at Buchanan Street do you get paid travel time?

What’s the bothy at Buchanan Street like?

I know breaks aren’t paid. How long do you get? Is there a lot of split duties with big gaps?

Any info appreciated! Replies or DMs welcome thanks :D

I‘ve been told I’ll be working the routes out of Buchanan Street. How does that work, do you clock-on at Buchanan St or Caledonia? If your shift doesn’t start and end at Buchanan Street do you get paid travel time?
Presumably you’ll be Caledonia North? Driving 88, 89 & x3 etc.

It depends entirely on the shift; if it’s an early morning start from around 4-7am then it’ll be taking the bus from the garage in the morning. Mid-shifts are usually those between 8-10 then it may well be the bus is already on the road so you’ll be starting at Buchanan St.

If it’s back shift, again the bus is usually already on the road but you’ll likely take the bus back to the depot at night. On some later finishes, say around 10pm, sometimes you finish at Buchanan St then make your way home from there.

What’s the bothy at Buchanan Street like?
Basic, 1 male toilet, 1 female toilet, a microwave and 2 vending machines for juice or sweets. There is a hot water dispenser as well.

I know breaks aren’t paid. How long do you get? Is there a lot of split duties with big gaps?
From my experience that’s all I felt like I ever did. 9.5hrs of driving but the actual shifts had 2-3hr breaks - not all the time but too often for my liking.

The drivers with longer service (in my opinion) get unfair priority for their preferential choice of what rota they want. It's sometimes referred to as a “Pick”, therefore new starts are usually shafted with the least favourable circumstances.

Any info appreciated! Replies or DMs welcome thanks :D
Best of Luck.

G42

Presumably you’ll be Caledonia North? Driving 88, 89 & x3 etc.

It depends entirely on the shift; if it’s an early morning start from around 4-7am then it’ll be taking the bus from the garage in the morning. Mid-shifts are usually those between 8-10 then it may well be the bus is already on the road so you’ll be starting at Buchanan St.

If it’s back shift, again the bus is usually already on the road but you’ll likely take the bus back to the depot at night. On some later finishes, say around 10pm, sometimes you finish at Buchanan St then make your way home from there.

Basic, 1 male toilet, 1 female toilet, a microwave and 2 vending machines for juice or sweets. There is a hot water dispenser as well.

From my experience that’s all I felt like I ever did. 9.5hrs of driving but the actual shifts had 2-3hr breaks - not all the time but too often for my liking.

The drivers with longer service (in my opinion) get unfair priority for their preferential choice of what rota they want. It's sometimes referred to as a “Pick”, therefore new starts are usually shafted with the least favourable circumstances.

Best of Luck.
Thanks, that’s really useful!

So if you clock on at Caledonia to take a bus out on an early but finish at Buchanan Street, is travelling time back to the depot included? Or are you off the clock the minute you leave the bus and travel back to get your car in your own time?

Scotrail88

So if you clock on at Caledonia to take a bus out on an early but finish at Buchanan Street, is travelling time back to the depot included? Or are you off the clock the minute you leave the bus and travel back to get your car in your own time?
Yes

There is also staff bus that can take you to/from the depot in the morning or evening depending when you finish.

Benefit I find is that you finish in town and can head out or home. Breaks aren’t as big as noted but can give you time to go and do things saving you need to go into town on days off

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are there any particular services that drivers generally prefer doing or don't like doing or is it fairly neutral regarding what services First operate? I'd imagine the 2s and 3s at the minute aren't preferable with the roadworks through Partick and the few days of roadworks there has just been at Dumbarton Road at Scotstoun. Luckily for the drivers though, the roadworks finished early.

You're off the bus, you stop getting paid.

Once you're out on the road and been going for 6 months I hope you mind let us all know how things are going with the shoddy terms laid to drivers.
There is also staff bus that can take you to/from the depot in the morning or evening depending when you finish.
Depending on where you live of course, it’s not a universal all inclusive benefit.

Benefit I find is that you finish in town and can head out or home.
90% of the time that won’t be possible for one reason or other.

Breaks aren’t as big as noted but can give you time to go and do things saving you need to go into town on days off
Provided you aren’t working the next day and aren’t tired, when you're working a 10-12hr shift the job can be mentally exhausting.

@VolvoAilsa it entirely depends how you respond to the entire circumstances you’ll work under, that is what really matters.

You’ll be doing long shifts, I guarantee you that.

Just because you drive for 9-10 hours legally doesn’t mean that by the end of the week you’ve not actually been at work for well over 50hrs a week including breaks; in other words it eats well into your private life as well.

Not that I’m aiming to burst your bubble but I’d prefer to tell you how it is.

G42

Thanks everyone.

It's a part time contract - working weekends (fits around my circumstances) so hoping I'll have a bit of variety with the shifts, covering whoever is off I'm guessing.

I'm guessing the staff bus is only if you are working really late or really early?

I don't mind working long hours - it works out best for me just doing weekends, ideally at the beginning or end of the day but will wait and see.

Maybe a silly question but I'd have thought that if they have a load of folk on splits then that would leave gaps in the middle of the day when most buses are out?

317 forever

Established Member

PaulMc7

Established Member
I don't know for sure which depots the people were talking about as the comments didn't specify but when people had asked on Facebook what the shifts were like, a couple of drivers had said that they're trying to phase out split shifts entirely at their depots.