• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

OptareLover

On Moderation
Hi, does anyone know why First Glasgow doesn't actually track (GPS) on bustimes.org?
The allocations are mosty listed (although the listed allocations are currently down right now!), but why no GPS?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Hi, does anyone know why First Glasgow doesn't actually track (GPS) on bustimes.org?
The allocations are mosty listed (although the listed allocations are currently down right now!), but why no GPS?
They chose not to. All Scottish First opcos (operating companies) do this as they don't need to publicise this information.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
At present they have stopped tracking altogether. It came back on a few weeks ago for a day but stopped again. I hope it eventually comes back.

OptareLover

On Moderation
At present they have stopped tracking altogether. It came back on a few weeks ago for a day but stopped again. I hope it eventually comes back.
Lots of operators have had a tracking outage before and came back, so probably will, but if it doesn't, it'll be a pain, as it's useful to see a day's alloctations @JumpinTrainz

PaulMc7

Established Member
Sad truth about the bigger bus groups (esp. First) who don't care about anything unless it'll raise its profits...
I see that as understandable to be fair especially in the current climate where money is a lot tighter than previous years. The irony is though that things being easier to understand and more accessible would make First gain more profit as more people would understand everything therefore actually use the buses.

Proper route descriptions so that people know which streets a bus covers and maps is just one thing I'd be looking at if I were in charge as well as a much better app with tracking of the actual vehicle type etc just like the Mcgills app does. With the Low Emission Zone less than a month away now, it would be the perfect time to improve things like this just incase the Low Emission Zone has a bigger impact than I personally feel like it will.

I don't see enough older cars to suggest that it will help First a lot but hopefully I'm wrong and it means buses become busy enough to eventually go up in frequency again at some point.

Confirmation that the 11 and 71A won't be operated by First after the SPT changes in July through VOSA:

• PM0000006/442 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Buchanan Bus Station, Glasgow to Campsie Road, Torrance
    Service number: 71A
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 15 Jul 2023
  • PM0000001/646 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Gartnavel Hospital to Chalmers Street, Clydebank
    Service number: 11
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 15 Jul 2023

Last edited:

G42

What happened to the depot run services - the 300 numbers that would run first thing in the morning and last at night. I notice now that most buses leaving the depot are not in service.

Bedford OB

What happened to the depot run services - the 300 numbers that would run first thing in the morning and last at night. I notice now that most buses leaving the depot are not in service.
They are mostly long gone. A large batch of these services (303/6/7/9/17/39/42/49/68/78 plus 817/54/58/63/70/73/74/76/77) was formally deregistered from 1 May 2021, but they had disappeared from the company's web site some time before that and are presumed withdrawn from an earlier date - I guess they may not have operated during all of the frequent Covid period changes to the mainline services.

APT618S

Whilst First Glasgow is still not tracking or giving allocations on the vehicle page. I have just noticed that the stop departure lists gives vehicle ID. Screen shot below and I can confirm 64155 was on that 57a:
Screenshot_20230507-143144_Samsung Internet.jpg

APT618S

Yes, I used that in Aberdeen with First Aberdeen, I believe it's been around for quite a while.
As you say, yes, generally it has been around a while now across the country but I was surprised to see it still working for First Glasgow given in the vehicle list no turns are listed after 19 Apr.
Means more research is needed to track down a bus, but there is still a way!

OptareLover

On Moderation
As you say, yes, generally it has been around a while now across the country but I was surprised to see it still working for First Glasgow given in the vehicle list no turns are listed after 19 Apr.
True, I wonder how that's working since allocations have been down since mid-April!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I do wonder if it’ll ever update again. It did for a day but has been cut off since April. I’m not even sure how these things work or who updates them.

It would be great if Glasgow would track live like other operators.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I do wonder if it’ll ever update again. It did for a day but has been cut off since April. I’m not even sure how these things work or who updates them.

It would be great if Glasgow would track live like other operators.
I had seen someone ask First's Twitter team about the possibility of open data and more advanced tracking and they received a response saying that it would be fed back to the relevant people but I don't expect much to come of it. It would benefit people so much if we had better tracking and a way of knowing what vehicle was coming when we were waiting on a bus.

OptareLover

On Moderation
But as APT618S said, you can work out what vehicle is coming from bus stops on bustimes.org
Whilst First Glasgow is still not tracking or giving allocations on the vehicle page, I have just noticed that the stop departure lists gives vehicle ID

PaulMc7

Established Member
But as APT618S said, you can work out what vehicle is coming from bus stops on bustimes.org
I think 2 issues come from Bustimes.org though. One being the question of how many people actually know it exists and the other being the accuracy. I think there should be a 100% accurate system incorporated into the app but it would take funding for it to happen because I highly doubt First would do it otherwise.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I think 2 issues come from Bustimes.org though. One being the question of how many people actually know it exists and the other being the accuracy. I think there should be a 100% accurate system incorporated into the app but it would take funding for it to happen because I highly doubt First would do it otherwise.
Lets be honest, 98% of bus users probably don't care what bus is operating their service, let alone know what "64115" even means! In the current climate they just want it to turn up, and preferably not be overcrowded.

The average passenger who does use Bus Times for tracking purposes is likely checking where their bus is, not what bus it is or what fancy colours its painted in.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Lets be honest, 98% of bus users probably don't care what bus is operating their service, let alone know what "64115" even means! In the current climate they just want it to turn up, and preferably not be overcrowded.

The average passenger who does use Bus Times for tracking purposes is likely checking where their bus is, not what bus it is or what fancy colours its painted in.
Vehicle type would help people who are new to an area, to be fair. I agree with you and that's also why I think there needs to be a new way of counting passengers off a bus. Drivers have enough to deal with as it is, so a lot of the time the number of seats free and how busy the bus actually is really doesn't match at all.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does anyone know what the changes on the 4th June involve for the Dumbarton services?

I also noticed on Bustimes.org today that there isn't now a fleet list for Glasgow. I definitely wonder how long that will be the case for.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Does anyone know what the changes on the 4th June involve for the Dumbarton services?

I also noticed on Bustimes.org today that there isn't now a fleet list for Glasgow. I definitely wonder how long that will be the case for.
There is still a fleetlist - https://bustimes.org/operators/first-glasgow/vehicles

The existing tracking data was wiped last night as happens every few months, because of this there currently isn't any tracking data for First Glasgow, therefor the "vehicles" tab automatically disappeared from the "routes" page.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There is still a fleetlist - https://bustimes.org/operators/first-glasgow/vehicles

The existing tracking data was wiped last night as happens every few months, because of this there currently isn't any tracking data for First Glasgow, therefor the "vehicles" tab automatically disappeared from the "routes" page.
Thank you for pointing this out. It wasn't there when I checked when I posted on here but it's showing fine now minus the tracking of course. Other than the testing of Yutongs, has anything else come in or out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Thank you for pointing this out. It wasn't there when I checked when I posted on here but it's showing fine now minus the tracking of course. Other than the testing of Yutongs, has anything else come in or out?
It was there, the fleetlist could always by accessed via the URL there just isn't the option to navigate directly to the "vehicles" page from the main "routes" page anymore; this will return once a vehicle tracks.

In terms of movements 67090 transferred from Aberdeen to Caledonia last Friday, 37189/95 have returned from Aberdeen off loan and 67728/806/890 are in the process of being repainted and transferring to Aberdeen. Glasgow are due to receive 67084-90 from Aberdeen with seven Enviro300s going north in return.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It was there, the fleetlist could always by accessed via the URL there just isn't the option to navigate directly to the "vehicles" page from the main "routes" page anymore; this will return once a vehicle tracks.
When I tried to click it earlier through the URL as I had it in my history, I just kept getting an error message whereas now it loaded fine. Hopefully it won't be too long before tracking starts again though.

G42

Are they phasing out the old uniform for the purple polo shirts or are they just another option for drivers if they want something less formal?

PaulMc7

Established Member
I see that First have started to run mostly double deckers on the 57A again to combat the capacity issues caused by the 57 still being all single decker due to the issues at Silverburn. The 3 and X8 also seem to have a couple of double deckers today.