• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder how long it will take them to realise that they messed up ordering E200EVs instead of Yutongs.

On the plus side it’s nice to see some new buses on the 2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Noddy1

I wonder how long it will take before they all need new batteries…
I wonder why, if the Yutong is such a great product, that First Group has to date still to order it in great numbers other than those for Aberdeen? It appears that First favours Wrightbus products for its English companies and ADL for Scotland at the moment. I am sure other Firstgroup companies have routes very similar in length to 2 in Glasgow. Why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Volvodart

Established Member
I would guess Aberdeen would probably have got the Wrightbus product but the commitments for the English First Bus companies meant that they could not be delivered within the required timescale

Noddy1

Should have included Leeds and Wales received Yutongs but the bulk of First Group orders have gone to either Wrightbus or ADL

cnjb8

Established Member
Should have included Leeds and Wales received Yutongs but the bulk of First Group orders have gone to either Wrightbus or ADL
The Welsh examples were ordered by the Welsh Gov for Traws Cymru. The Leeds examples were purchased in 2020 when there wasn't much variety in electric buses available (although they were still smart enough to avoid BYD and Optare). Why Glasgow has ordered BYDs over Yutongs for this kind of route is difficult to see, other than fleet standardisation.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I would guess Aberdeen would probably have got the Wrightbus product but the commitments for the English First Bus companies meant that they could not be delivered within the required timescale
Supposedly it was the Aberdeen engineering manager that influenced the decision to go for Yutongs based on feedback from other operators.
I wonder why, if the Yutong is such a great product, that First Group has to date still to order it in great numbers other than those for Aberdeen? It appears that First favours Wrightbus products for its English companies and ADL for Scotland at the moment. I am sure other Firstgroup companies have routes very similar in length to 2 in Glasgow. Why?
In all fairness the newer Wrightbus products too are also quite a step up from the existing BYD/ADL offering. It boggles me why any operator would still want to buy a BYD/ADL product with their inferior range and dreadful build quality given all the other products now on the market.
Which is exactly why First don't own the batteries but rather lease them as a service package. Therefor if/when the batteries do degrade the costs of replacement are already covered and they're not hit with a massive bill like many previous operators of EV and Hybrid buses have been.

stevenedin

Supposedly it was the Aberdeen engineering manager that influenced the decision to go for Yutongs based on feedback from other operators.

In all fairness the newer Wrightbus products too are also quite a step up from the existing BYD/ADL offering. It boggles me why any operator would still want to buy a BYD/ADL product with their inferior range and dreadful build quality given all the other products now on the market.

Which is exactly why First don't own the batteries but rather lease them as a service package. Therefor if/when the batteries do degrade the costs of replacement are already covered and they're not hit with a massive bill like many previous operators of EV and Hybrid buses have been.
They probably got a good deal for them.

I didn’t realise about the batteries that’s a good thing and possibly one that influenced their decision to purchase them.

When I travelled on them, they seemed to be nice buses. The only thing I noticed was that they lack capacity compared to some other buses.

Volvodart

Established Member
When I travelled on them, they seemed to be nice buses. The only thing I noticed was that they lack capacity compared to some other buses.
No sure if it is physically possible, but the Wrightbus Kite can supposedly carry 90 passengers.

EMU303

Interesting to read today that Toyota claim they have cracked the technology to produce batteries at half their current size, weight and cost plus faster charging and longer range. If they achieve this (suggestion is volume production by 2027) then the bus industry can expect to benefit in due course when other manufacturers do the same, or go beyond. I'm old enough to have once travelled on a Glasgow trolleybus (just once, mind) and so it's fascinating to witness the beginning of the end for the traditional diesel bus and the return to "electrics", albeit not a tram or trolley!

Don't wish to derail the thread so admin can advise if this story should be posted elsewhere.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Interesting to read today that Toyota claim they have cracked the technology to produce batteries at half their current size, weight and cost plus faster charging and longer range. If they achieve this (suggestion is volume production by 2027) then the bus industry can expect to benefit in due course when other manufacturers do the same, or go beyond. I'm old enough to have once travelled on a Glasgow trolleybus (just once, mind) and so it's fascinating to witness the beginning of the end for the traditional diesel bus and the return to "electrics", albeit not a tram or trolley!

Don't wish to derail the thread so admin can advise if this story should be posted elsewhere.

I really hope this is true and technology only advances more and more over time.

It’ll be interesting when Lanarkshire and Dumbarton routes need to go electric - here’s hoping this kind of range or better is on offer.

SarahDFIG

How have the Yutong buses been in terms of reliability since they have been out in service with Glasgow? Do we think it will sway the next order of EVs to Yutong or will Glasgow stay with E200 EVs?

From what I have heard, the drivers prefer the Yutong vehicles over the E200 EVs with some describing it as night and day.

Looking at the Aberdeen thread, I guess we will possibly see the remainder of the Yutong vehicles leave by the end of this week/next week at latest I would guess.

Brimfulofasha

On Saturday 1st July, many city centre services were diverted due to parades. The Gallowgate was unserved as far as the Forge Retail Park at one point! Most bus stops had First notices stating either that they were closed, or there would be disruption, but there was nothing on the website, nothing on social media. When folk complained about buses not turning up on Twitter, First's social media team were clearly in the dark. Is there not something to be said for local knowledge? Particularly with major disruption coming in August due to the cycling events.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
On Saturday 1st July, many city centre services were diverted due to parades. The Gallowgate was unserved as far as the Forge Retail Park at one point! Most bus stops had First notices stating either that they were closed, or there would be disruption, but there was nothing on the website, nothing on social media. When folk complained about buses not turning up on Twitter, First's social media team were clearly in the dark. Is there not something to be said for local knowledge? Particularly with major disruption coming in August due to the cycling events.
Anyone from Glasgow knows when the parade is and how to deal with it.

SarahDFIG

I am pretty sure Glasgow's twitter is handled by a central customer service team in England or it was at one point which is probably the reason for lack of information.

route101

Established Member
How have the Yutong buses been in terms of reliability since they have been out in service with Glasgow? Do we think it will sway the next order of EVs to Yutong or will Glasgow stay with E200 EVs?

From what I have heard, the drivers prefer the Yutong vehicles over the E200 EVs with some describing it as night and day.

Looking at the Aberdeen thread, I guess we will possibly see the remainder of the Yutong vehicles leave by the end of this week/next week at latest I would guess.
What I don't understand is why didn't they go for more E400EVs for the 2 and 3.

What I don't understand is why didn't they go for more E400EVs for the 2 and 3.
Believe me when I say this.

Having had the chance to sit with several of the management in Glasgow & recently Aberdeen to ask questions and get their answers you soon get the picture that their decision-making is full of plot holes and naivety.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I see Scotstoun’s new E200EVs are branching on to the 8, 16 and 90 today. There appears to be 8 in service now.

I’m wondering if the plan is to have a mix of deckers and electric singles on the 2 and 3 still so that other routes can see the electric buses too.

EMU303

Anyone know what will be moving out of the fleet as the 50 x E200EVs enter service?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Anyone know what will be moving out of the fleet as the 50 x E200EVs enter service?
A number of E300s are to go off lease. I believe the ex-FSE E400MMCs are due to go to Essex along with the remaining YN08 B9TLs. I imagine there may be some more movements but that could all change.

Bus Lightyear

Why First Essex doesn’t just get new buses as opposed to someone elses second hand ones is lost on me.

I’ve never been able to get that..
Probably because they don't make enough of a financial return to warrant new vehicles and they wont be the only operator in that situation.

Sluggish pieces of…
And yet they seem pretty good on the motorway.

cnjb8

Established Member
Sluggish pieces of…

Why First Essex doesn’t just get new buses as opposed to someone elses second hand ones is lost on me.

I’ve never been able to get that..
Essex received around 10 brand new StreetLites earlier in the year. Their last brand new double deckers arrived in 2019.