• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Volvodart

Established Member
First Glasgow announces withdrawal of night bus services

First Glasgow has today (10th July) announced the withdrawal of its night bus services in Glasgow, which will commence on 31st July.

The decision was made following a 12-month period of monitoring passenger numbers, which revealed that services were regularly operating with as few as 14 passengers per hour. Despite facing significant losses, First Bus has continued to run its night services through the city.

The change will impact 11 routes that operate across the city in the early hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings.

The drivers who work late into the night to deliver these services will be redeployed into the daytime network to further support existing services across the city where passenger recovery is strong and additional capacity is required.

First Glasgow reintroduced its night bus services in June 2022 to help boost the night-time economy in the city as Covid-19 restrictions were lifted.

Despite significant efforts from First Glasgow to promote the services, including offering free tickets in December last year, passenger numbers remained between 30% and 35%. First Glasgow also highlighted its concerns on night bus service uptake through meetings with stakeholders and partner organisations as an attempt to secure promotional support.

Graeme Macfarlan, Commercial Director at First Bus Scotland, said: “We were delighted to be able to reintroduce our night bus network last June in an attempt to support the city’s night-time economy.

“Despite a wide variety of efforts by First Glasgow and partner organisations to increase the number of people using the night buses, it has not reached the level required to sustain these services beyond July. To do so, we would require the number of people using them each weekend to treble overnight, which is not realistic.

“We really wanted to give these services every chance to succeed which is why we have absorbed the operating losses for the last 12 months. It has become clear, however, given the change in behaviour and times people are going out in the city at the weekend, there is not enough appetite in Glasgow for night bus services to successfully operate into the early hours.”

First Glasgow’s night buses covered travel from the city centre across Glasgow and the surrounding areas including Clydebank, Paisley, Newton Mearns, East Kilbride, Hamilton, Motherwell and Wishaw.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

It’s a shame that they are being withdrawn but they did try and not enough people used the bus. Hopefully the extra drivers during the daytime now will help to plug in the gaps where there are staff shortages.

ld0595

What a joke. It's difficult enough as it is to get anywhere from within town in the late evening.

Train? Several to some key areas of the city stop just after 11pm. (East Kilbride, Cathcart, Shawlands and Hamilton to name a few).
Taxi? Has anyone here tried to get a taxi in the city centre at night? It's near enough impossible and if you do get one, they're often cash only.
Driving? Not any more (for me at least) thanks to the LEZ!

If the government were actually serious about getting people out of their cars, they need to improve public transport across the board. I really hope the government steps in here.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It seems that the night services probably did not coincide well with shift finishing times in the hospitality sector.

Night buses seem to work well in London, and should ideally work well in Glasgow too, being as when Victoria was sitting on the throne she referred to Glasgow as "the second city of the Empire" (the British Empire having been built through invading, taking over, and colonising other people's lands).

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Glasgow City Centre has died a death. It’s particularly worse since Covid. I’m not surprised the buses aren’t being well used. They carry mainly fresh air whenever I see them.

sannox

Glasgow City Centre has died a death. It’s particularly worse since Covid. I’m not surprised the buses aren’t being well used. They carry mainly fresh air whenever I see them.

Weekend and evening footfall is pretty much back at pre-covid levels, it's daytime levels that are down.

Buses are fairly busy in the evening - got a 57 at just around 11pm on a Tuesday which left Jamaica Street with a standing load. Night buses aren't as busy as 15/20 years ago but the change in nightlife from that of the past and rise of uber have hurt it.

numtot12345

From my perspective (and I guess others as well?) the Night Buses to work/be attractive to use, the frequency needs to be greater than one per hour.

This is because if you miss one, you're effectively waiting up to an hour for the next one...that's if it shows up. And anytime I've tried getting a bus at that time the RTPI boards and First App don't seem to work so you can't be sure when the next Night Bus will show up.

Waiting for that amount of time in City Centre in the early hours is an unpleasant experience and can feel unsafe at times.

I am happy to take a night bus but becuase of the factors above, if I am out at that time I just cough up for a taxi home. I am fortunate that I can afford that, though others may not (particularly those who work in hospitality and maybe no access to a car etc.) Taxis are another story particularly those who refuse to pick you up unless paying with cash, and I understand there is a shortage of drivers?

Agree as well with sentiments that we are supposed to be reducing reliance on car, more sustainable travel, fair green recovery etc. but things like this just make me really angry.

I hope a solution is found for this. I understand increasing the frequency isn't probably the silver bullet, and would probably require subsidy, however I feel there should be a minimum level of public transport service throughout the whole day (including night time) which people can use.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
One of the main issues faced by the night buses in places like Glasgow is that, due to the higher driver hourly rate, they have to charger higher fares in order to remain viable. Therefore if you're in a group, as many if not most people are, then it just works out around the same price (or cheaper) and more convenient to hire a taxi.

Last edited:

Buzby

As I recall when GCT ran the night buses, they all departed George Square hourly from 0000 to 0400, I believe SPT continued with this format, so First haven’t really innovated - I always rankled at the higher cost of using the service - even the NEC card isn’t accepted, maybe if the youth card was added First might reconsider!

Simon75

On Moderation
So will the Glasgow Airport services will be the only night buses in the Greater Glasgow region?

The 900, which accepts National Entitlement Cards (NEC), runs hourly through the night 7 days a week and passes Easterhouse Train Station and Baillieston. Citylink, with the M9 stopping at Cumbernauld, and Ember with the E3 that stops at both Greenfaulds and the Town Centre in Cumbernauld 7 days a week, also accept NEC cards; the M9 doesn't however. Apart from these services there isn't anything except the 500 Airport express.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus Lightyear

900 runs hourly through the night 7 days a week and passes Easterhouse Train Station and Baillieston which accepts NEC cards, Citylink with the M9 stopping at Cumbernauld and Ember with the E3 that stops at both Greenfaulds and the Town Centre in Cumbernauld 7 days a week which accepts NEC cards, M9 doesn't however. Apart from these services there isn't anything except the 500 Airport express.
I thought NEC cards weren't valid between 0100 and 0400?

Bus Lightyear

As I recall when GCT ran the night buses, they all departed George Square hourly from 0000 to 0400, I believe SPT continued with this format, so First haven’t really innovated - I always rankled at the higher cost of using the service - even the NEC card isn’t accepted, maybe if the youth card was added First might reconsider!
I remember the Strathclyde Buses, Kelvin Central and Clydeside 8xx night buses from George Square, but I thought First ran some Overground routes 24hrs every day of the week in the early 2000s which was quite a big thing at the time.

They're accepted on the 900 and the E3 as previously mentioned
I thought that rule applied to all operators but perhaps I'm wrong.

The 900, which accepts National Entitlement Cards (NEC), runs hourly through the night 7 days a week and passes Easterhouse Train Station and Baillieston. Citylink, with the M9 stopping at Cumbernauld, and Ember with the E3 that stops at both Greenfaulds and the Town Centre in Cumbernauld 7 days a week, also accept NEC cards; the M9 doesn't however. Apart from these services there isn't anything except the 500 Airport express.
The NEC cards are accepted on the M9 throughout the night.

sannox

I remember the Strathclyde Buses, Kelvin Central and Clydeside 8xx night buses from George Square, but I thought First ran some Overground routes 24hrs every day of the week in the early 2000s which was quite a big thing at the time.

I always thought night buses were run by GCT as the 'low cost unit' rather that Strathclyde but that might have changed in late 90s.

When the overground was introduced key routes ran 24/7 both into and out of Glasgow. Indeed many also ran on Christmas and New Years day too although not all night.

Buzby

Just checked the SPT website - which states:

National Entitlement Card holders can travel on all local bus and scheduled long distance coach services throughout Scotland for free at any time of day and for any number of journeys.
Restrictions:
Concessionary travel is not available for tours, excursions, night services or other special services where a premium rate is charged.

So if anyone managed it, SPT probably wouldn’t meet the cost come settlement time.

Just checked the SPT website - which states:

National Entitlement Card holders can travel on all local bus and scheduled long distance coach services throughout Scotland for free at any time of day and for any number of journeys.
Restrictions:
Concessionary travel is not available for tours, excursions, night services or other special services where a premium rate is charged.

So if anyone managed it, SPT probably wouldn’t meet the cost come settlement time.
I think by the night service they mean one with an enhanced fare. The Citylink N900 used to be a set fare and concession cards were not valid. It now just runs as a normal 900 with the standard fares and concession cards can be used.
I dare say if First ran the night buses with just the usual route number and fares then the concession card would be valid.

Buzby

I dare say if First ran the night buses with just the usual route number and fares then the concession card would be valid.
I think you are conflating the parameters as I had to re-read it carefully. Night services always charged a ‘premium’ (in the days of GCT it was a single flat-fare irrespective of distance travelled). The card excludes tours, excursions and night services explicitly- the subsequent section addresses other (unspecified) special services where a premium is charged, so it’s a double-whammy on night buses, as they’re defined as such and charge a premium over a standard day fares.

Cumbernauld seems to be best served, as their 24hr links by ember through the town are not surcharged in this way, as it’s the same fare irrespective of time of travel.

I think you are conflating the parameters as I had to re-read it carefully. Night services always charged a ‘premium’ (in the days of GCT it was a single flat-fare irrespective of distance travelled). The card excludes tours, excursions and night services explicitly- the subsequent section addresses other (unspecified) special services where a premium is charged, so it’s a double-whammy on night buses, as they’re defined as such and charge a premium over a standard day fares.

Cumbernauld seems to be best served, as their 24hr links by ember through the town are not surcharged in this way, as it’s the same fare irrespective of time of travel.
If that's the case with night buses then why can you use Citylink and Ember services with your concession cards all night?

Buzby

As I mentioned in my last sentence - it’s not a designated ‘Night’ service, it runs 24x7 charging the same fare to all passengers irrespective of the time of day. Ember would probably suggest they don’t run any special night services. When the GCT ran the George Sq services (departure on the hour) the all had a N prefix to the route number to differentiate them, And their higher cost. Maybe SPT didn’t want hordes of pensioners going to late nite entertainment venues?!

As I mentioned in my last sentence - it’s not a designated ‘Night’ service, it runs 24x7 charging the same fare to all passengers irrespective of the time of day. Ember would probably suggest they don’t run any special night services. When the GCT ran the George Sq services (departure on the hour) the all had a N prefix to the route number to differentiate them, And their higher cost. Maybe SPT didn’t want hordes of pensioners going to late nite entertainment venues?!
But that was my point when I made my original post which you quoted. The night services would run as normal services with normal fares and to the timetable that First had with them.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I see 33393 is tracking on the X11. Does anyone know if these are moving over to Blantyre to replace the 65 plate E400MMCs or is it just on loan?

Noddy1

Speaking as a customer rather than a bus professional I feel the decision by First Glasgow to axe night services is shocking and shows that First Glasgow is more interested in profits for shareholders rather than providing a service to Joe Public. This will affect late night workers and people enjoying a night out in town. As usual it would affect poorer people and vulnerable people like young females.

Perhaps it is time some other bus company started to offer services to the people of Glasgow because as a private monopoly First Glasgow has provided a substandard and expensive service for years and got away with it. How does First Glasgow hope to attract people out of their cars on to buses when they make decisions like this and similar decisions regarding services which they have pushed through with little or no consultation in the last few years? Pardon the pun but First Glasgow seems intent on driving people away from using buses not encouraging more people to use them.

Speaking as a customer rather than a bus professional I feel the decision by First Glasgow to axe night services is shocking and shows that First Glasgow is more interested in profits for shareholders rather than providing a service to Joe Public. This will affect late night workers and people enjoying a night out in town. As usual it would affect poorer people and vulnerable people like young females.

Perhaps it is time some other bus company started to offer services to the people of Glasgow because as a private monopoly First Glasgow has provided a substandard and expensive service for years and got away with it. How does First Glasgow hope to attract people out of their cars on to buses when they make decisions like this and similar decisions regarding services which they have pushed through with little or no consultation in the last few years? Pardon the pun but First Glasgow seems intent on driving people away from using buses not encouraging more people to use them.
Don't think there's anything to prevent another company from running night time routes in Glasgow. But as you say, an income of something like £10 per hour before paying the driver's wages and other costs doesn't sound attractive for any business. It's also a bit unfair on hard-pressed drivers to put them on a graveyard shift, perhaps at some personal risk, when very few passengers use the bus.

Stan Drews

Established Member
SPT are struggling to find operators wishing to take on some evening contracts, due to the difficulties recruiting drivers, so I really can’t see any other operators jumping at the chance to try and recruit drivers willing to take on night bus duties!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sluggish pieces of…

Why First Essex doesn’t just get new buses as opposed to someone elses second hand ones is lost on me.

I’ve never been able to get that..
Because of how accountancy rules are required to work in terms of balance sheets and book values.

In short, Essex doesn’t make the money to stand the cost.