• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There must be some scope to increase frequencies. Buses are very busy – although frequencies have never been so low (did anyone have the 75 running every 13 minutes on their bingo card?). First must be making decent money in Glasgow at the moment. Even if peak travel/season ticket revenue is down, frequencies are down about a third on a lot of corridors, so they’re squeezing a lot more people onto each bus. I’ve been going up to the eye clinic at Gartnavel a lot over the last few months, and every 6 or 6a I’ve been on has been mobbed – even in the middle of the day. Anyone know how recruitment is going?

First need to be careful. Running a minimum level of service is great for the bottom line in the short term, but it feeds the demands for some sort of re-regulation/franchising. Labour are going to be all over this in the run up to the 2026 Scottish elections.
I’m thinking that they are running into staffing issues yet again.

Increasing frequencies may simply result in more cancellations appearing.

If their is indeed capacity issues due to the frequencies they should have looked at larger vehicles, that’s been said before but it’s often rubbished.

Joerf21

If their is indeed capacity issues due to the frequencies they should have looked at larger vehicles, that’s been said before but it’s often rubbished.
Buying so many single deckers was defo a big mistake giving passenger increases

LT02 NVV

That and the roadworks across Glasgow are the problem, I mean, that one street outside of Cowcaddens subway station is a nightmare right now.

(NEW MESSAGE)
So the possible fleet numbers for the 15 Gemini buses moving from Manchester are currently like this, but they might change.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
That and the roadworks across Glasgow are the problem, I mean, that one street outside of Cowcaddens subway station is a nightmare right now.

(NEW MESSAGE)
So the possible fleet numbers for the 15 Gemini buses moving from Manchester are currently like this, but they might change.

I just hope a new electric order is announced soon to replace the B9TLs altogether. Not a fan of Glasgow seeing cast offs.

route101

Established Member
I just hope a new electric order is announced soon to replace the B9TLs altogether. Not a fan of Glasgow seeing cast offs.
I no doubt we will see more. The fleet will become less interesting with no Geminis. We havent seen any new routes or changes to routes recently too.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
(NEW MESSAGE)
So the possible fleet numbers for the 15 Gemini buses moving from Manchester are currently like this, but they might chang

They’re already on the fleet allocation at Caledonia. The plan was always for B9s it was never meant to be Enviro 400s

stevenedin

Glasgow probably have one of the biggest fleet of electric buses in one area. Cast offs aren’t a bad thing considering most buses have been new over the past 5 or so years.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There was talk of 15 ex-Manchester E400s for Glasgow, however the E400s seem to be for Aberdeen to standardise the fleet.
I think people were perhaps mistaken by the fact some are stopping over in Glasgow for repaint before coming north to Aberdeen.

I would find it very strange if Glasgow got ex-Manchester E400s considering they're full height, surely it would've made more sense to send all the full height examples to Aberdeen which would have allowed Glasgow to retain the low heights for the 6.

LT02 NVV

I think people were perhaps mistaken by the fact some are stopping over in Glasgow for repaint before coming north to Aberdeen.

I would find it very strange if Glasgow got ex-Manchester E400s considering they're full height, surely it would've made more sense to send all the full height examples to Aberdeen which would have allowed Glasgow to retain the low heights for the 6.
That would be kinda stupid to send the SN11/61 ones Glasgow sent up to Aberdeen back to Glasgow now.

As the ones Aberdeen have would need to all be re-painted for the 3rd time, especially since one of them is in the pride livery for Aberdeen.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Posts concerning the recall of Alexander Dennis/BYD vehicles have been moved:

EMU303

The 18 frequency increasing back to every 10 mins during the week and every 12 mins on Saturday’s (currently every 12 and 15 respectively). Same thing on the 500.

LT02 NVV

The 18 frequency increasing back to every 10 mins during the week and every 12 mins on Saturday’s (currently every 12 and 15 respectively). Same thing on the 500.

It’s already 15 minutes on a Sunday I think. As I found that to actually work out pretty well when I went to the East Kilbride Shopping Centre two days ago for the mini comic con event they had.

Last edited by a moderator:

LT02 NVV

Emergency services raced to the Scotstounhill area of Glasgow this afternoon following a suspected 'crash'.

A major emergency response could be seen on Dumbarton Road at around 2.35pm, with at least three ambulances, four police vehicles and one fire appliance in attendance.

Traffic appears to be diverted as the road remains inaccessible, with emergency services swarming the area.

In video footage from the scene shared with Glasgow Live, firefighters can be seen surrounding a First Bus, however the vehicles involved in the apparent 'crash' are unknown.

In a post shared to a local Facebook group, one eye-witness wrote: "There's a bad bus crash at the corner of Dumbarton Road at Anniesland Road junction at Kingsway.

"Vehicles diverted via Anniesland Road, Scotstounhill, down and back on to Dumbarton road."

Something bad happened with I think two buses today, looks like there was a nasty crash earlier, the buses have been moved away but road is still blocked off by police right now (as I just passed the other side on the 1C).

I’m not fully sure what happened, but I hope everyone is OK.

EMU303

Something bad happened with I think two buses today, looks like there was a nasty crash earlier, the buses have been moved away but road is still blocked off by police right now (as I just passed the other side on the 1C).

I’m not fully sure what happened, but I hope everyone is OK.
Significant damage to the bus and a car

First Bus has spoken out after two vehicles were pictured with extensive damage on a Glasgow road.

As the Glasgow Times reported earlier, police are still on Dumbarton Road near its junction with Kingsway Court, following a collision between a bus and a car.

Both vehicles were pictured on the scene, badly damaged.

Now, the transport company has confirmed that the crash took place around 1pm.

A spokesperson said: “We can confirm an incident took place on Dumbarton Road shortly after 1pm this afternoon involving one of our vehicles and a car.

“Emergency services were called to the scene immediately and we are continuing to work closely with them.

“Our thoughts are with everyone who was involved in the incident.”

numtot12345

Hello, I've had a search in the forum for an answer to this...possibly because of the height of the Busby Rail Bridge, but my question is:

Why does First Glasgow 6 buses (EK-Glasgow section) seem to rarely run electric double-deckers, if at all?

I'm sure I've been on an electric single decker 6, but not double. I see the 4/4A and 5 which pass through Battlefield, as well as the 38s and 57s running electric DDs on the parallel Pollokshaws Road, Kilmarnock Road.

Just a bit envious that's all, as I like how they are much quieter and more comfortable travel in, particularly as it can be a very busy and crammed service during the peak times.

Hello, I've had a search in the forum for an answer to this...possibly because of the height of the Busby Rail Bridge, but my question is:

Why does First Glasgow 6 buses (EK-Glasgow section) seem to rarely run electric double-deckers, if at all?

I'm sure I've been on an electric single decker 6, but not double. I see the 4/4A and 5 which pass through Battlefield, as well as the 38s and 57s running electric DDs on the parallel Pollokshaws Road, Kilmarnock Road.

Just a bit envious that's all, as I like how they are much quieter and more comfortable travel in, particularly as it can be a very busy and crammed service during the peak times.

Busby bridge

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I’ve looked at the photos, and the E300 bus involved (67721) looks like it’s going to either need a lot of work done for a while or just be scrapped entirely.

I still hope the two people who got sent to hospital will make a recovery.
It will probably be repaired. The bus is only about 11 years old and the damage doesn’t look that bad.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Are the E300 buses not getting replaced any time soon, as I heard the lease will be up soon?
A number have gone to Aberdeen from Dumbarton but Scotstoun have retained most of theirs. I’m sure many were due to go off lease last year but I don’t think that happened?

Hopefully a big order is announced soon to replace the B9TLs.

A number have gone to Aberdeen from Dumbarton but Scotstoun have retained most of theirs. I’m sure many were due to go off lease last year but I don’t think that happened?

Hopefully a big order is announced soon to replace the B9TLs.
We've still to receive Manchester B9TLs so don't get your hopes up. Caley is short on buses, Dumbarton E300, Scotstoun B9TL and a Blantyre E200MMC all on loan to Caley just now.