• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Hampshire & Dorset (Wessex, Dorset & South Somerset)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baza585

Open toppers start today in Weymouth. After all the decent weather we've had, it's now raining...........

Wessexbuses

As Baza said, Open Toppers and Summer Services are starting today in Weymouth

Routes 501/502/503 started today, going to Portland Bill(501), Haven Littlesea Camp(502) and Haven Waterside Camp(503)
ALX400 OT 32031 was on the 501, ALX400 OT 32033 on the 502 and Streetlite 47411 on the 503

dgl

Established Member
As Baza said, Open Toppers and Summer Services are starting today in Weymouth

Routes 501/502/503 started today, going to Portland Bill(501), Haven Littlesea Camp(502) and Haven Waterside Camp(503)
ALX400 OT 32031 was on the 501, ALX400 OT 32033 on the 502 and Streetlite 47411 on the 503

Just an F.Y.I., Waterside is not owned by Haven/Bourne Leisure it's independent, although Waterside do own Chesil Vista (ex. Haven) and Osmington.
Noticed the 502 was running when I went into work this morning, although until Monday it's only owners that are allowed down.

Established Member
Some interesting workings today with Solo SR 53612 on the X51 this morning and Open Top 32031 on the 1.

The Dorset Echo is reporting that Weymouth Park and ride will reopen for the school holidays. It also suggests that the 2 which serves the Park and Ride (and possibly other routes) will have a increased frequency from next weekend rather than the current 30 min service.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/1...opvX4tIUo90WBO_9fOxN8Aq_6qxwzchtsdZe8yIwO-Rzo
Weymouth park and ride service ready for school holidays

WEYMOUTH’S park and ride is due to be re-opened next week in time for the start of the school holidays.

The car park is currently closed because the military are running a coronavirus testing operation from there.

Dorset Council says that it has agreed that use can continue with the site being shared – with new signs so that people don’t end up in the wrong queue.
“It may take a while to set up but we aim to reopen by 17 July, which is the start of the school summer holidays.

“First Wessex buses will pick up from the bus stop on Mercery Road. They have just increased the frequency of the bus on Saturdays, starting on 12th July,” said a council spokesman.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thought I'd put this in here as it's FHD related (though not Wessex) in that Portsmouth are consulting on a CAZ https://www.route-one.net/news/portsmouth-caz-consultation-opens-on-15-july/

Now what's the likelihood that the public (and so the council) will go for euro VI for buses, coaches, large goods vehicles but perhaps the car driver will be spared as (....insert usual stuff about a bus emitting more than a car in absolute terms whilst ignoring the per capita issue)?

I guess that First and Stagecoach will actually be reasonably ok given the modernity of the fleets generally with e200mmc, e400 (SC) and Streetlites (FHD). The Omnicities at Hoeford will need sorting but they're probably due to go before then anyway?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Thought I'd put this in here as it's FHD related (though not Wessex) in that Portsmouth are consulting on a CAZ https://www.route-one.net/news/portsmouth-caz-consultation-opens-on-15-july/

Now what's the likelihood that the public (and so the council) will go for euro VI for buses, coaches, large goods vehicles but perhaps the car driver will be spared as (....insert usual stuff about a bus emitting more than a car in absolute terms whilst ignoring the per capita issue)?

I guess that First and Stagecoach will actually be reasonably ok given the modernity of the fleets generally with e200mmc, e400 (SC) and Streetlites (FHD). The Omnicities at Hoeford will need sorting but they're probably due to go before then anyway?

I believe Hampshire county council recently paid for Firsts Streetlites and Stagecoaches 13 plate E300 to be upgraded from euro 5 to euro 6. The modification not being particularly difficult.

I personally don’t think the omnicities will see service again which is sad.

baza585

I believe Hampshire county council recently paid for Firsts Streetlites and Stagecoaches 13 plate E300 to be upgraded from euro 5 to euro 6. The modification not being particularly difficult.

I have to agree, I too doubt they will, except perhaps for Potteries. There are a number of First opcos seemingly willing to offload Streetlites which are Euro 6 or can easily be made so. I don't think passenger numbers will get back to previous levels for some time, so I expect some subtle reduction in frequencies to help as well.

Both First and Stagecoach run deckers into that affected area at present, none of which are Euro 6 AFAIK (? P&R might be?). Interesting problem for someone if capacity is limited by distancing.

cnjb8

Established Member
I have to agree, I too doubt they will, except perhaps for Potteries. There are a number of First opcos seemingly willing to offload Streetlites which are Euro 6 or can easily be made so. I don't think passenger numbers will get back to previous levels for some time, so I expect some subtle reduction in frequencies to help as well.

Both First and Stagecoach run deckers into that affected area at present, none of which are Euro 6 AFAIK (? P&R might be?). Interesting problem for someone if capacity is limited by distancing.
Most buses will need to be used to meet social distancing rules so I doubt it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Didn't realise that the Streetlites and e300s had already been treated. As you say, it's relatively straightforward

Even these might be a little old for the Potteries, as they're coming up to 16 years old already. As you say, some post Covid frequency changes will also help weed some out

The P&R fleet of e400s was euro V but might also have been modded?

baza585

Most buses will need to be used to meet social distancing rules so I doubt it.
Unless passenger numbers recover, and with increased bus capacity as distancing is reduced, I'm not sure more buses WILL be required for some time. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced based on what I'm seeing currently. Maybe when the schools go back........

baza585

FHD appear to have decided to run dupes on some of their school bus routes rather than make them closed door as most other local operators are doing. What are the pros and cons of this in terms of funding, BSOG etc?

swifty

Established Member
I wonder if that livery is for the whole fleet or just Weymouth?
It’s for the Dorset based ‘Wessex’ fleet with the updated Wessex branding alongside the existing Jurassic Coaster brand.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It’s for the Dorset based ‘Wessex’ fleet with the updated Wessex branding alongside the existing Jurassic Coaster
I did wonder given the new Wessex Twitter avatar being green. Aside from either the Portland service (or perhaps Dorchester), I couldn't work out what they could brand so I did wonder if it were an all-encompassing image for the ops.

TBF, except for the Omnicities (on loan for social distancing?) and perhaps the B9s getting on a bit, the Weymouth fleet is pretty modern. Certainly a change from the situation in 2012/3 and, tbh, the days of Southern National.

cnjb8

Established Member
I did wonder given the new Wessex Twitter avatar being green. Aside from either the Portland service (or perhaps Dorchester), I couldn't work out what they could brand so I did wonder if it were an all-encompassing image for the ops.

TBF, except for the Omnicities (on loan for social distancing?) and perhaps the B9s getting on a bit, the Weymouth fleet is pretty modern. Certainly a change from the situation in 2012/3 and, tbh, the days of Southern National.
From what I can gather, some of those Omnis allowed some StreetLites to go to Scotland East

swifty

Established Member
It’s now been unveiled. I like the new logo and the livery has hints of the Bristol P&R and Stagecoach Carlisle liveries.

First Wessex (@firstdorset) Tweeted:

Welcome to Wessex, your local buses around Dorset. ❤✅

EvERLjbWQAQro35

https://twitter.com/firstdorset/status/1364891092689309700?s=20

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It’s now been unveiled. I like the new logo and the livery reminds me of the Bristol Park and Ride scheme!

https://twitter.com/firstdorset/status/1364891092689309700?s=20
I hadn't realised from the earlier teaser shot that they actually moved away from the First template.

The logo/avatar looks better. As for the livery.... I was thinking more Buses of Somerset meets the Stagecoach Carlisle branding with the triangle. It's just Ray Stenning doing the same old.....continued on pg 94!

Established Member
From what I can gather, some of those Omnis allowed some StreetLites to go to Scotland East
That makes sense as there are few of the Max ones there now

It seems that there is a number of changes that have gone on recently for First Dorset/Wessex.

Deckers:
The three open toppers have been repainted into 'Portland Coaster' so is now a separate brand from the Jurassic Coasters
7 E400's replaced the Omnideckers which 3 or 4 will be in Jurassic Coaster livery
This will allow the remaining Geminis in the older JC livery to be repainted (probably into the new Wessex livery)

Singles:
Some ex Southampton 'the three' Volvos arrived for additional capacity on school duplicates last summer which slowly reduced and now being repainted for use in Slough. The omnicities then replaced these but also partly replaced the 3 StreetLites which are now in Scotland.

swifty

Established Member
I hadn't realised from the earlier teaser shot that they actually moved away from the First template.

The logo/avatar looks better. As for the livery.... I was thinking more Buses of Somerset meets the Stagecoach Carlisle branding with the triangle. It's just Ray Stenning doing the same old.....continued on pg 94!
It looks like ‘Solent’ and ‘Berkshire’ are getting similar logos. I wonder if the livery will be the same across the three op cos, or use different colours. It’s certainly got the Stenning look!

Non Multi

Is it a complete name change to 'Wessex', or are First Dorset and the new 'Wessex' brand name going to be interchangable?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It seems that there is a number of changes that have gone on recently for First Dorset/Wessex.

Deckers:
The three open toppers have been repainted into 'Portland Coaster' so is now a separate brand from the Jurassic Coasters
7 E400's replaced the Omnideckers which 3 or 4 will be in Jurassic Coaster livery
This will allow the remaining Geminis in the older JC livery to be repainted (probably into the new Wessex livery)

Singles:
Some ex Southampton 'the three' Volvos arrived for additional capacity on school duplicates last summer which slowly reduced and now being repainted for use in Slough. The omnicities then replaced these but also partly replaced the 3 StreetLites which are now in Scotland.
I'd seen pics of the repainted open toppers - look good. I'd seen that the Eclipses released from Southampton had headed to Weymouth prior to Slough and twigged they'd been then backfilled by Omnicities that had been on short term loan to Kernow, but had forgotten they'd lost some Streetlites for newly won tenders in Edinburgh.
It looks like ‘Solent’ and ‘Berkshire’ are getting similar logos. I wonder if the livery will be the same across the three op cos, or use different colours. It’s certainly got the Stenning look!
I'm sure it's Stenning - hence the (tongue in cheek) reference to the usual criticism ;)

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
Volvo B7RLE 66882 now wears a two tone orange livery for driver training purposes, it wears a few logos on its rear, including ones for Berkshire, Solent and the newly revamped Wessex. So Berkshire and Solent are getting similar logos if that makes any sense

Lewlew

Volvo B7RLE 66882 now wears a two tone orange livery for driver training purposes, it wears a few logos on its rear, including ones for Berkshire, Solent and the newly revamped Wessex. So Berkshire and Solent are getting similar logos if that makes any sense

I remember driving 66882, it was an absolute dog of a bus. Very loud engine at idle, causing the whole bus to vibrate and the air suspension to act odd. Always dreaded seeing that come round the corner when I was due to be going out.

Markk1990

That's the smartest training bus I've ever seen, credit to the ops for that. Nice too see references and therefore pride and quality of their brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.