• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Hampshire & Dorset (Wessex, Dorset & South Somerset)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Is it a complete name change to 'Wessex', or are First Dorset and the new 'Wessex' brand name going to be interchangable?
Looking at the comments on the Facebook post one says Wessex is the name for ancient Dorset.

Reported on the First West of England thread: B7TL's 32329, 32340, 32343 have transferred to Weymouth from Bath possibly for Open Top conversion. Considering the ALX400's have just been done up maybe another or new route will be open top this summer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Looking at the comments on the Facebook post one says Wessex is the name for ancient Dorset.

Reported on the First West of England thread: B7TL's 32329, 32340, 32343 have transferred to Weymouth from Bath possibly for Open Top conversion. Considering the ALX400's have just been done up maybe another or new route will be open top this summer?
I think Wessex was an Anglo Saxon 'county' that encompassed Dorset and the surrounding counties

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think Wessex was an Anglo Saxon 'county' that encompassed Dorset and the surrounding counties
Wessex was the Saxon territory for most of Southern England, more commonly associated with Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire and a few bits of neighbouring modern counties.

However, Thomas Hardy’s Wessex novels in the late 19th century were focused very much on Dorchester and Dorset as a whole.

cnjb8

Established Member
Wessex was the Saxon territory for most of Southern England, more commonly associated with Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire and a few bits of neighbouring modern counties.

However, Thomas Hardy’s Wessex novels in the late 19th century were focused very much on Dorchester and Dorset as a whole.
Thank you, I know Wessex played a big part in the events leading up to the Battle of Hastings

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thank you, I know Wessex played a big part in the events leading up to the Battle of Hastings
There's a bit in Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" where he talks about the imprecise nature of where Wessex is, and how firms use the name. One example cited was the use of Wessex as the name for Rotala's Bristol operations before they wound them up.

I suspect that the main reason it was originally adopted by First (rather than Dorset) was that at the time, they had the Yeovil depot in Somerset and that, as I said, Thomas Hardy's Wessex novels were set in that part of the world; Hardy was born and lived just outside Dorchester (aka Casterbridge in the novels) so it's a wider term that has become synonymous with that area of mid/West Dorset

It would be interesting if they were additions rather than replacements, with Weymouth never having had more than 4 open toppers at any one time; the open topper does seem to be having a renaissance even before Covid

Established Member
It has been reported on FHD forums that 33740 is away for repaint which be the second vehicle in the new Wessex livery.

Also City Red StreetLite's 47421, 47425, 47426, 47428, 47429, 47430 have arrived on loan for the school extras starting tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

cnjb8

Established Member
It has been reported on FHD forums that 33740 is away for repaint which be the second vehicle in the new Wessex livery.

Also City Red StreetLite's 47421, 47425, 47426, 47428, 47429, 47430 have arrived on loan for the school extras starting tomorrow.
On loan to Weymouth?

Established Member
From FHD forums:

33740 & 33742 have returned to Weymouth from repaints which completes all the E400's. B9TL 37581 is the next to be repainted (currently in the older Jurassic Coaster livery).

Route 4 branded B7RLE 69449 has received the new logo's.

The three B7TL's from Bath have been collected by Thornton's for Open Top conversion.

Wessexbuses

From FHD forums:

33740 & 33742 have returned to Weymouth from repaints which completes all the E400's. B9TL 37581 is the next to be repainted (currently in the older Jurassic Coaster livery).

Route 4 branded B7RLE 69449 has received the new logo's.

The three B7TL's from Bath have been collected by Thornton's for Open Top conversion.

northern506

Sorry if it's been discussed before, but I'm looking to have a trip to the South Coast in summer, and the Jurassic Coaster services look like they'd be good services to have a ride on, possibly from Axminster to Poole.

Does anyone know if the timetable is usually enhanced in Summer? I'm struggling to find any information on the First Wessex website, only information about the holiday park services and the Portland Coaster. There is a map for the Jurassic Coaster services but this isn't helpful.

Currently it seems the X54 only operates once a day according to bustimes (no timetables on the First Wessex wesbite?!) and a fairly limited service on the X53 so it wouldn't be practical at present.

Established Member
Sorry if it's been discussed before, but I'm looking to have a trip to the South Coast in summer, and the Jurassic Coaster services look like they'd be good services to have a ride on, possibly from Axminster to Poole.

Does anyone know if the timetable is usually enhanced in Summer? I'm struggling to find any information on the First Wessex website, only information about the holiday park services and the Portland Coaster. There is a map for the Jurassic Coaster services but this isn't helpful.

Currently it seems the X54 only operates once a day according to bustimes (no timetables on the First Wessex wesbite?!) and a fairly limited service on the X53 so it wouldn't be practical at present.
It looks like bustimes is a bit confused at the moment with the school holiday changes so if you go forwards 2 weeks all the journeys appear. The X53 is largely 2 hourly Mon-Sat, 3 hourly Sun and the X54 is 4 journeys Mon-Sat at the moment.

I believe there is normally some sort of increase in the summer. The 2019 timetable had some extra journeys between Weymouth/Dorchester to Bridport with the Bridport - Axminster section remaining hourly alternating between X51 and X53. Sundays was 2 hourly on the X51, X53 continuing hourly to Axminster combined. The X54 normally runs daily in the summer and remains the same frequency.

northern506

It looks like bustimes is a bit confused at the moment with the school holiday changes so if you go forwards 2 weeks all the journeys appear. The X53 is largely 2 hourly Mon-Sat, 3 hourly Sun and the X54 is 4 journeys Mon-Sat at the moment.

I believe there is normally some sort of increase in the summer. The 2019 timetable had some extra journeys between Weymouth/Dorchester to Bridport with the Bridport - Axminster section remaining hourly alternating between X51 and X53. Sundays was 2 hourly on the X51, X53 continuing hourly to Axminster combined. The X54 normally runs daily in the summer and remains the same frequency.

Thanks for the response :)
It looks like it should be possible to do Axminster to Poole then if the X54 generally runs 4 journeys.

plebb11

On Moderation
Interestingly, first Wessex are advising their Wessex network tickets will be valid on Bournemouth‘s yellow buses network over the summer. Will yellow buses have a ticket to cover Wessex? is this the start of an explorer-type scheme for the area?

Last edited by a moderator:

[.n]

Thanks for the response :)
It looks like it should be possible to do Axminster to Poole then if the X54 generally runs 4 journeys.

In the "old" days (maybe around 10 years ago), they ran a service (31?) from Exeter to Poole as one route :)

CD

In the "old" days (maybe around 10 years ago), they ran a service (31?) from Exeter to Poole as one route :)
31 was Weymouth to Axminster via Dorchester.
X53 was Poole to Exeter via the coast road.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The X53 ran from Poole via Wareham, Wool, Weymouth, Abbotsbury, Bridport, Lyme Regis, Seaton, Sidford to Exeter. whereas the X31 ran from Weymouth via Dorchester, Martinstown, Bridport, Lyme Regis to Axminster

I think what happened when they carved up the X53 was:
  • West of Lyme Regis went to the X52 which was reduced to two journeys/day
  • East of Weymouth went to the X54
  • The central bit was retained as the X53 but was rerouted to Axminster in place of half the X31s which instead terminated Dorchester to Bridport; might have been when it became the X51
It might have been the summer X31 and X53 were hourly for 2017 (so every 30 mins to Axminster) before being dropped down for the autumn and adopting the pattern as it is now.

Been a couple of years since I had a trip there. Beautiful spring day and there's nothing quite like going along on the top deck of an Omnidekka as you head across the uplands from Dorchester, and similarly on one from Bridport across to Weymouth.

Folks like @CD and @henairs will remember the pre-X53 world before government funding improved the services. IIRC, Bridport to Weymouth via Abbotsbury was a once a day shoppers route (210?) between schools, whilst the 31/X31 was hourly Axminster to Bridport but only about 4/5 journeys to Dorchester and Weymouth.

jcrwey

Details have started to emerge for new timetables from 30th May. A real frequency uplift across the board which is good to see:

Main headlines so far:

X51 - Weymouth to Dorchester - Bridport - Axminster
Will now operate between Weymouth and Dorchester again for the first time in a few years now, then on from Dorchester to Bridport and Axminster. Operates every 2 hours daily.

X54 - Weymouth to Poole, via Lulworth
Uplift in services to every 2 hours daily, including evening return trip and also additional morning journey including in school holidays to Wareham.

1 - Weymouth to Portland
Increase to every 10 mins Monday to Friday, every 12 mins Saturday and every 15 mins Sunday. Last journey from Kings Statue to Portland 0035am every day.

2 - Weymouth to Littlemoor
Increase to every 15 mins Monday to Saturday, every 20mins Sunday.

3 - Weymouth to Westham.
Remains every 40 mins.

4 - Weymouth to Preston
Improved evening service every 30 mins until 1130pm Monday to Saturday. Every 20 mins daytime Monday to Saturday, every 35 mins on Sundays.

10 - Weymouth to Dorchester
Increase to every 15 mins Monday to Saturday and every 30 mins on Sunday.

501 - Open Top - Weymouth to Portland Bill
Operates from 1st May to 28th May weekends and then daily, with hourly frequency from 23rd July.

502 - Weymouth to Littlesea
Operates from 11th April every 30 minutes.

503 - Weymouth to Waterside
Operates from 11th April every 20 minutes.

More to follow later in the week I'm sure!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Have you a link to the source for this?
Details have started to emerge for new timetables from 30th May. A real frequency uplift across the board which is good to see:

Main headlines so far:

X51 - Weymouth to Dorchester - Bridport - Axminster
Will now operate between Weymouth and Dorchester again for the first time in a few years now, then on from Dorchester to Bridport and Axminster. Operates every 2 hours daily.

X54 - Weymouth to Poole, via Lulworth
Uplift in services to every 2 hours daily, including evening return trip and also additional morning journey including in school holidays to Wareham.

1 - Weymouth to Portland
Increase to every 10 mins Monday to Friday, every 12 mins Saturday and every 15 mins Sunday. Last journey from Kings Statue to Portland 0035am every day.

2 - Weymouth to Littlemoor
Increase to every 15 mins Monday to Saturday, every 20mins Sunday.

3 - Weymouth to Westham.
Remains every 40 mins.

4 - Weymouth to Preston
Improved evening service every 30 mins until 1130pm Monday to Saturday. Every 20 mins daytime Monday to Saturday, every 35 mins on Sundays.

10 - Weymouth to Dorchester
Increase to every 15 mins Monday to Saturday and every 30 mins on Sunday.

501 - Open Top - Weymouth to Portland Bill
Operates from 1st May to 28th May weekends and then daily, with hourly frequency from 23rd July.

502 - Weymouth to Littlesea
Operates from 11th April every 30 minutes.

503 - Weymouth to Waterside
Operates from 11th April every 20 minutes.

More to follow later in the week I'm sure!

CD

Folks like @CD and @henairs will remember the pre-X53 world before government funding improved the services. IIRC, Bridport to Weymouth via Abbotsbury was a once a day shoppers route (210?) between schools, whilst the 31/X31 was hourly Axminster to Bridport but only about 4/5 journeys to Dorchester and Weymouth.
When I first started going down that way in NBC days, there was a 495 which was through service Taunton-Bridport, with some extended to Weymouth via Dorchester.
On the coast road from Weymouth to Bridport there was an afternoon service mainly for school kids. Can remember some real struggles with a VR up Abbotsbury hill on this. :lol:

henairs

When I first started going down that way in NBC days, there was a 495 which was through service Taunton-Bridport, with some extended to Weymouth via Dorchester.
On the coast road from Weymouth to Bridport there was an afternoon service mainly for school kids. Can remember some real struggles with a VR up Abbotsbury hill on this. :lol:
Back in the days of the RELLs both Taunton and Weymouth depots were involved in the operation of this long through route, which was later to be split at Axminster to become route 30 from the Taunton end and route 31 from Weymouth end.

carlberry

Established Member
I tried to find a copy of the 495 timetable however I've got nothing from that period. However here is a previous version of a Taunton-Weymouth service from 1960!b.jpg

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There was the 213 that used to go from Taunton to Seaton with the 432 Weymouth to Axminster. Not certain if that was what became the 495 when the Seaton bit was dropped; I'm sure I have some old NBC timetable somewhere.
Back in the days of the Rell's with both Taunton and Weymouth depots involved in the operation of this long through route later to be split at Axminster to become route 30 from the Taunton end and route 31
from Weymouth end. Mike R
I didn't know if the vehicles and/or drivers went from end to end. During the 80s and 90s, the 31 was shown as a through route from Weymouth to Taunton except that you had to change at Axminster; I think only two schools journeys from Taunton ran south of Axminster and only to Lyme Regis. Otherwise, they operated as two totally separate but connecting services.

I did the full journey in 1991 - Weymouth to Axminster on a knackered VR, then onto an Iveco Turbo Daily to Taunton!!
I tried to find a copy of the 495 timetable however I've got nothing from that period. However here is a previous version of a Taunton-Weymouth service from 1960!View attachment 94096
If only you had page 87 to hand :D

I do hope that First can capitalise on the likelihood of more domestic tourism with the Dorset routes this year. Must try to get down after a years' absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.