• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midland Bluebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
Fyi smtglasgow: Remember that timetable is only for 3 weeks. Hopeful the Stirling changes will appear at the end of next week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

smtglasgow

I’m surprised that the X37 is going up to every 30 mins (7 days a week), but First have the data so they must be seeing growth, or at least anticipate future growth. How the X39 fits into this in the long-term is anyone’s guess. A lot of people commute into Glasgow from the Denny area, but I’m guessing only a tiny percentage use the bus – would a faster bus win them over?

overthewater

Established Member
Thats an idea, revise the X39 to operate fast between Glasgow - Cumbernauld - haggs then all stops to Denny and Stirling? I cant see it going continuing over the current route since the X37 has replaced it.

overthewater

Established Member
The whole lot of the falkirk network is deffo changing on 20th August since all the current network has been binned for that day. It will be interesting to see if any minor changes take place to the 38.

Journeyman

Established Member
The cuts to the 38 between Linlithgow and Edinburgh are an enormous pain for me and I'm seriously annoyed by it.

I really had hoped 38 could have been split to be more punctual as, like today , roadworks Between plean to torrwood and traffic in Falkirk ( which is only gonna get worse I think )meant that a few 38s were running 15-20 mins late through to EdinburGh ( like mine) . So with them going half hourly through i think there's an opportunity by another operator to run something from Linlithgow to EdinburGh through winchburgh

overthewater

Established Member
The reason there will not split the service at Falkirk is, its believed it would pee off to many cross town passengers, which I dont not believe.

overthewater

Established Member
So were now at the starting point for the Stirling network review, will we see anything today or could it be next week something will pop up. We at least know the X39 is getting revised, I get the feeling it will either be every 30mins Stirling to Cumbernauld only or one bus extended to Glasgow via the motorway? Who knows.

Observer

Notice this has been registered on the First Scotland East license, there was a Midland Bluebird one a few days ago which has now been listed as Admin Cancelled so presumably Livingston are going to do some short journeys somewhere.
PM0000923/340 Registered
FIRST SCOTLAND EAST LTD
Route: Winchburgh, Glendevon to Edinburgh Regent Road via Kirkliston, Newbridge, Ratho Station, Haymarket
Service number: 38
Service type: Hail & Ride, Limited Stop
Effective date: 20 Aug 2018

overthewater

Established Member
Notice this has been registered on the First Scotland East license, there was a Midland Bluebird one a few days ago which has now been listed as Admin Cancelled so presumably Livingston are going to do some short journeys somewhere.
That looks like the two peak journeys, ( each way) would make since.

Volvodart

Established Member
It is starting to appear...

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-east-and-central-scotland/have-your-say

Have your say
First Scotland East would like to invite you to have your say on the proposed service changes to our Stirling network at our Customer Roadshow Consultation Day on Friday 20th July at Stirling Bus Station (location and timings to be confirmed).

We value your feedback and want to give you the opportunity to have your say on the proposed changes.

Please follow the link provided and give us your feedback by 7pm on Friday 20th July 2018 - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/StirlingNetwork

Cowie – Old Service Number: 54/54A New Service Number: 51 – Revised to service number 51. Cross City links retained. Earlier journeys in the morning. Reduced to 30-minute frequency. Route – Cowie, Bannockburn, Whins O Milton, Broomridge (Barbour Avenue), Braehead, Stirling Bus Station, Viewforth, Causewayhead, University Rear Entrance, Tulibody & Alloa

Bannockburn – Old Service Number: 54/54A & 38 New Service Number: 51 & 38 – No change to service 38 route, minor timetable alterations from 20 August 2018. Now served by new service 51. Maintains link to Whins of Milton and Glasgow Road. Service 51 route – Bannockburn, Whins Of Milton, Broomridge (Barbour Avenue), Braehead, Stirling Bus Station, Viewforth, Causewayhead, University Rear Entrance, Tulibody & Alloa

Whins O Milton – Old Service Number: 54/54A/X39 New Service Number: 51 & X39 – Now served by new service 51. X39 increased to 30-minute frequency *See Glasgow note below*. Route – Whins O Milton, Broomridge (Barbour Avenue), Braehead, Stirling Bus Station, Viewforth, Causewayhead, University Rear Entrance, Tulibody & Alloa

Raploch – Old Service Number: 57 New Service Number: 57 – Earlier journey in the morning from Raploch. Service operate via Community Hospital. Route change to operate along Drip Road

Cornton – Old Service Number: 54/54A New Service Number: 54 – University link maintained. Frequency reduced to every 30 minutes. Cross town link beyond Stirling Bus Station no longer available

Bridge of Allan – Old Service Number: 54/54A New Service Number: 54 – University link maintained. Frequency reduced to every 30 minutes. Cross town link beyond Stirling Bus Station no longer available

Menstrie/Alva/Tillicoultry – Old Service Number: 62/63 AB New Service Number: 52 – New cross-town links to Breahead, St Ninians, Whins of Milton, Bannockburn and Cowie. Frequency reduced to every 30 minutes

Please follow the link provided and give us your feedback by 7pm on Friday 20th July 2018 - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/StirlingNetwork

Sauchie – Old Service Number: 62/63 & A New Service Number: 51/52 – Cross-town links to Breahead, St Ninians, Whins of Milton, Bannockburn and Cowie. Frequency reduced to every 30 minutes

Alloa – Old Service Number: 60 & 62/63 AB New Service Number: 51/52 – Cross-town link to Breahead, St Ninians, Whins of Milton, Bannockburn and Cowie

Tullibody – Old Service Number: 62/63 AB New Service Number: 51 – Cross town link to Breahead, St Ninians, Whins of Milton, Bannockburn and Cowie

Clackmannan – Old Service Number: 60 – Service withdrawn link to Alloa maintained by services H1/H2 & other operators

Stirling University – Old Service Number: 54/54A/2A/X39/UL New Service Number: UL/54 (51/52) – Revised circular route covering more of the University grounds and Wallace Monument. Earlier journeys in the morning. Improved morning and evening timetable with more journeys. Service now operates whole year round with 30-minute frequency out with University Semester. Services 51/52 will still serve rear entrance of University

Service to Glasgow – Old Service Number: X39 New Service Number: X39 – Frequency increased to every 30 minutes. New faster route to Glasgow from Cumbernauld using M80. Later evening journeys introduced Monday – Saturday

Cumbernauld – Old Service Number: X37/X39 New Service Number: X37/X39 – Frequency increased to 4 journeys per hour. New faster route to Glasgow from Cumbernauld using M80 on service X39. Later evening journeys introduced Monday – Saturday

Proposed timetables and map are below;

Stirling Area Network Map

Service 51 - Alloa - Tullibody - Stirling - Bannockburn - Cowie

Service 52 - Stirling - Menstrie - Tillicoultry - Sauchie - Alloa

Service 54 - City Centre - Cornton - Bridge of Allan - University

Service 57 - Raploch - City Centre - Community Hospital - St Ninians

UL (during semester) - Stirling City Centre - University of Stirling - Stirling City Centre

UL (out with semester) - Stirling City Centre - University of Stirling - Stirling City Centre

X36 - Stirling - Denny - Cumbernauld - (M80) - Glasgow

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Apart from the Denny changes its the worse of the lot.... Mackie will be laughing at this while stagecoach will get even more passengers to clackmanan.

overthewater

Established Member
The 38 is getting halved in frequency from Linlithgow to Edinburgh! (from a seriously hacked off resident of Winchburgh)
Note that is about the northern section of the route.

I have had a look at the changes and well yes there crap alot of cuts but it seems the buses saved are all going to be used on the new X36 route A; give Denny a faster service to Glasgow and B: to give First a chance to cream off passengers at Cumbernauld bus stance who want a fast non stop service to Glasgow. Some of the new ideas make no since, like the 51 going via Broomridge then turning right to go back up St Ninians down glasgow road via Morrison dr then to Cowie, taking 31mins. You have to wonder would First still be in Stirling if it wasn't for the uni? Weekly ticket is still an absolute disgrace.. £6 - Day ticket or £24 weekly just for Stirling city a 3mile area if your lucky, You wonder why more people are not using the bus... ..

Old Network:
X39: 4 buses
53: 6 buses
57: 2 buses
60: 1 bus
62/63: 13 buses

In uses: 26 buses:

New network:
51/52 - 11 buses
54 - 2 buses
57 - 2 buses
X36 - 6 buses

now in 21 buses: a cut of five buses off the network.

Last edited:

smtglasgow

Surprising seeing the reduction on the Hillfoots service. It was every 20 mins for a long time then in the last few years its been upped to every 10 mins, cut down to every 15 mins and now down to every 30 mins. Are the passenger numbers very volatile, or do First just not know what they’re doing!? The new X36 might do well – been a long time since I’ve been in Cumbernauld Town Centre, so can’t comment on how busy that stop gets. Also, nothing about the 59 to Callander. Hopefully it’s staying – nice old school country run.

overthewater

Established Member
The Hilfoots services can be busy, but remember Mackies are around and can take the passengers. I get the feeling there dont know what the hell they're doing. Stagecoach can fill up the coach at Cumbernauld.

Cumbernauld town centre to Glasgow with stagecoach x25 x24 x26 , maybe every 10- 12 mins direct .
If the x36 use the enviros it's almost an equivalent in terms of leather(ish) seats ,speed of journey if it's scanias nah stagecoach have better quality vehicles,but first are gonna have to compete better in fares I think .

tbtc

Veteran Member
I could see the point in the Falkirk area changes - they seem fairly well thought out (though the 4B needs renumbering, now it has nothing to do with the other service 4).

I could see the point in the West Lothian changes - albeit First can never make their mind up about some routes and take a "back to the future" approach.

But the Stirling ones... what a mess!

The only point in cross-town services in a place the size of Stirling would be to maintain a through service to somewhere like the University (like the X39 provided, or the 54 did via a longer route... like the 60 did to the Falkirk Hospital a few years ago). But the 51/52 seems a real muddle, trying to do too many things.

The X37/X39 changes seem positive at the Glasgow end - I guess its "kill or cure" for those services - there was no point in running the slow stopping services all the way to Glasgow, so half hourly faster services may be a big boost - as long as First stay interested, as they don't have the staying power to focus on such routes that Stagecoach have shown. Funny that it's now First competing for a slice of the Cumbernauld - Glasgow services, after handing over the lion's share of that market to Stagecoach.

It feels like it'd be simpler to just wave the white flag and surrender the Alva corridor to Mackies though.

overthewater

Established Member
Mackies only operate once an hour over the Alva corridor, and want is worse seem to not care either about any of its routes.

overthewater

Established Member
It seem the 52 will not serve the uni, and the 57 will not serve the top end of the scheme of Raploch. These changes are awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.