• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
The bright orange Optare Metrodecker left Camborne at 1245hrs today being driven by a member of engineering staff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Tinner replacements this morning:-

I Suspect my surprise at these 3 behind me a little off route this afternoon may explain.
Taunton around 1400, they headed out of Taunton depot towards the M5 north.
I'd probably half a guess they are off to the champions league final?

Attachments

• IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 76

83G/84D

Established Member
Interesting, I was going to observe the T1/T2 for longer but the rain put paid to that.

busconductors

All suggestions on here and on first Kernow Facebook is that the 27 is part of the new order.
As a 6 footer the only buses I've had issue with leg room is the Ex jersey Darts.
I estimate I travel 500 miles a month on first Kernow buses so have sampled pretty much everything they have to offer. Be selective of your seats. The rear centre seat has several feet of leg room, the side ways seats have plenty too, and the emergency exit row has plenty.

For me as a short-ish person, leg room is not the problem. If the seat is higher than the length of my foot-to-knee, what I could do with really is some sot of foot rest. If the seat is low, that is fine as long as the seat does not have a hard front edge.

fgwrich

Established Member
Slightly off topic but as First trialed one of Wrights Demo recently I thought I'd mention it. The first of the Guernsey's new Wright StreetVibe Wheel Forward vehicles were shown off today. Perhaps a vehicle for the future Kernow fleet if some of the slimmer Solos become a little long in the tooth?

http://www.itv.com/news/channel/2017-06-02/new-style-buses-on-display-in-guernsey/

New narrower buses on display in Guernsey

Guernsey's new buses, which are 7cm narrower than the Dennis Dart vehicles, are on display today. They are part of a £1.9 million project to upgrade the fleet and replace old bus, which has been criticised for being too wide for the island's roads. Two vehicles are open to the public today, before they go into service next week.

''The new buses will provide much improved customer comfort, passenger information and vehicle emissions.

Selecting the StreetVibe has ensured that the Island benefits from the latest technological developments in the bus industry and the narrowest bus in its class - Deputy Mark Dorey, Vice-President of the Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure ''
Twelve new buses are being bought in total, at a cost of nearly £135,000 each.
Designers say the vehicle is 63cm shorter and just over 7cm narrower than Guernsey's current buses, and will have USB charging points and wifi access.
The new bus also emits less pollutants than the engine it replaces.

20 New buses will produce the same pollutants as one old bus.

All of the new buses will be in service by the end of June.

Back on topic, I'll certainly be happy to see the 90 receiving newer or upgraded vehicles, as the most ideal form of Public Transport to reach Newquay by, vehicle improvements and new branding would certainly be a welcome addition to the Kernow network.

Attachments

• 18767762_1812533599060997_6089604583469318099_n.jpg
    18767762_1812533599060997_6089604583469318099_n.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 57

richw

Veteran Member
I'm sure there was a demo street vibe here last year. Mousehole I believe due to the tight corner is length as well as width.

THarris123

Established Member
Slightly off topic but as First trialed one of Wrights Demo recently I thought I'd mention it. The first of the Guernsey's new Wright StreetVibe Wheel Forward vehicles were shown off today. Perhaps a vehicle for the future Kernow fleet if some of the slimmer Solos become a little long in the tooth?

http://www.itv.com/news/channel/2017-06-02/new-style-buses-on-display-in-guernsey/

Back on topic, I'll certainly be happy to see the 90 receiving newer or upgraded vehicles, as the most ideal form of Public Transport to reach Newquay by, vehicle improvements and new branding would certainly be a welcome addition to the Kernow network.

Give me a solo any day. If it contains Wright and "Street-", then no thank you.

Just remember that there are solos in service which are 16 years old. How long does anyone think these Streetvibes will last? I give it about 6 or 7 years.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Citybus was active again today on the A2. Its last journey from Penzance saw it coincide at Marazion with an inbound 2, in the worst possible place i.e. near the Methodist Church, on the Marazion side, where the railings protect the fronts of houses on one side. I'm not saying the two buses actually struck, but I was in a car directly behind the 2, which was completely stationary without an inch to spare on its side, and as the Citybus crawled past, as far on the pavement as it could go without striking the houses on its side, the 2 sort of did an involuntary shake. I'll say no more.

83G/84D

Established Member
A more colourful Tinner stand in today, blue MMC 33475 was also covering:-

Attachments

• DSC01918rev.jpg
    DSC01918rev.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01922.jpg
    DSC01922.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 69

83G/84D

Established Member
I'm sure there was a demo street vibe here last year. Mousehole I believe due to the tight corner is length as well as width.

Yes I think I posted some photo's of it on here. I don't recall seeing it in use on any services.

83G/84D

Established Member
So far that appears to be the case for the Metrodecker. A brief outing yesterday is all it has done I think.

83G/84D

Established Member
Olympian 34137 suffered a breakdown this afternoon between Zennor and St Ives. A "man in a van" turned up to try and fix it but the bus was still at the roadside well over an hour later. Hopefully it is nothing too serious.

Attachments

• ED2A7270.jpg
    ED2A7270.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC01948.jpg
    DSC01948.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01950.jpg
    DSC01950.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC01951.jpg
    DSC01951.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 52
  • ED2A7277.jpg
    ED2A7277.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 55
  • ED2A7285.jpg
    ED2A7285.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 54
  • ED2A7288.jpg
    ED2A7288.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 56

busKernow

I Suspect my surprise at these 3 behind me a little off route this afternoon may explain.
Taunton around 1400, they headed out of Taunton depot towards the M5 north.
I'd probably half a guess they are off to the champions league final?

Were is the champions league final being held RichW ?

busKernow

Olympian 34137 suffered a breakdown this afternoon between Zennor and St Ives. A "man in a van" turned up to try and fix it but the bus was still at the roadside well over an hour later. Hopefully it is nothing too serious.

Had a Trip on this one last week to Lands End & its painfully slow on hills to the point it almost stops ,it was the same last year , that aside it does looks very smart though.

philthetube

Established Member
I spent last week in Penzance, walking the coast path and I made frequent use of the A1/3

I found it to be a great service for my needs very reliable considering the roads, never saw one more than ten late and fantastic value at £26 for a weeks travel.

This said I had one minor gripe, and it is minor but could do with fixing, after heavy overnight rain I boarded the first A1 from Penzance and all the upstairs seats had puddles on them, they really needed to be wiped before it left the Depot, there wa a procession of passengers climbing the stairs, looking at the seats then going back down.

I would also make a couple of constructive suggestions, these are not criticisms.
I think the open toppers could do with some top corner protection from the trees, I noticed one is already damaged, sorry no photo.

on a totally different note I think an A4 leaflet containing a timetable and information on fares, pushing day tickets and describing the route as "hop on hop off" A list of things to visit on route also would be good. This would save first money as these could be given to tourists instead of full timetables.

83G/84D

Established Member
A soggy open top Citybus 38006 was seen at 10 past one this afternoon heading east on the Hayle By-pass.

The "temporary waiting room" at Penzance was re-positioned near the pick up points for departing services. Very much needed this afternoon & better placed than where it was previously. :)

FSW Official

I spent last week in Penzance, walking the coast path and I made frequent use of the A1/3

I found it to be a great service for my needs very reliable considering the roads, never saw one more than ten late and fantastic value at £26 for a weeks travel.

This said I had one minor gripe, and it is minor but could do with fixing, after heavy overnight rain I boarded the first A1 from Penzance and all the upstairs seats had puddles on them, they really needed to be wiped before it left the Depot, there wa a procession of passengers climbing the stairs, looking at the seats then going back down.

I would also make a couple of constructive suggestions, these are not criticisms.
I think the open toppers could do with some top corner protection from the trees, I noticed one is already damaged, sorry no photo.

on a totally different note I think an A4 leaflet containing a timetable and information on fares, pushing day tickets and describing the route as "hop on hop off" A list of things to visit on route also would be good. This would save first money as these could be given to tourists instead of full timetables.

Glad you had such a good time.
Funnily enough we've been arranging supplies of paper rolls for Penzance open tops so the seats can be dried not just in the mornings, but during wet days too.
It's the trees that need cutting! We're likely to fit much more robust tree bars to a large number of vehicles, but it's a design and build project in itself. It's not as simple as it seems. Some types of bars can cause more damage than the trees, some are difficult to mount. Again, work in progress.
The leaflet is the third work in progress. It's nearly finished at Best Impressions. We deliberately decided to spend the proper attention needed on it once the main publicity for the season was complete, meaning we can get it created as an ongoing template for Winter too. Hopefully it'll be off to the printers shortly. It's actually a fold out DL.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
The orange Optare has been in action today:-

Attachments

• DSC01965rev.jpg
    DSC01965rev.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC01969rev.jpg
    DSC01969rev.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01970rev.jpg
    DSC01970rev.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01972rev.jpg
    DSC01972rev.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Today? Been lashing with rain and grey for most of the day further north. Looks lovely down there - very orange vehicle!!

The weather here has been dry and sunny although windy with occasional brief showers. And yes the bus is very bright orange!
:)

83G/84D

Established Member
Note to 83G/84D if I may. FSW Official tells us Wigley is due to remove donor Solos and B7TLs from Camborne should you be in that vicinity. I know you have provided fine pics of buses being removed from Camborne in the past. Thank you.

It would appear I have "missed the boat" (or bus) with this, as the Solo awaiting disposal at Camborne has gone at some point recently. A shame as I am there quite a lot of the time and never saw it depart. Anyway here is a photo of it taken not long before it departed.

Attachments

• DSC01207.jpg
    DSC01207.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
Glad you had such a good time.
Funnily enough we've been arranging supplies of paper rolls for Penzance open tops so the seats can be dried not just in the mornings, but during wet days too.
It's the trees that need cutting! We're likely to fit much more robust tree bars to a large number of vehicles, but it's a design and build project in itself. It's not as simple as it seems. Some types of bars can cause more damage than the trees, some are difficult to mount. Again, work in progress.
The leaflet is the third work in progress. It's nearly finished at Best Impressions. We deliberately decided to spend the proper attention needed on it once the main publicity for the season was complete, meaning we can get it created as an ongoing template for Winter too. Hopefully it'll be off to the printers shortly. It's actually a fold out DL.

Sounds as if I am in the wrong job, we are certainly thinking along the same lines here, let me know if you are moving on. :roll:

Thanks for response.

Whiteway215

Established Member
It would appear I have "missed the boat" (or bus) with this, as the Solo awaiting disposal at Camborne has gone at some point recently. A shame as I am there quite a lot of the time and never saw it depart. Anyway here is a photo of it taken not long before it departed.

Thank you for the photo. That poor Solo looks a bit of a mess so I reckon it is or was on a one way trip!

THarris123

Established Member

Not much left of it to depart.