• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

THarris123

Established Member
I'll admit to being an old codger, and having some colour blindness, but I don't use glasses even for reading and have always had excellent sight. I have a problem with reading the destination and number displays on the open toppers: at first I put it down to reflections from the sun, until I looked at displays on other double deckers from exactly the same angle and in the same sunlight and found no problem. Anyone else experienced this?

Nope. I could actually see the displays clearer today when using them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
Can I just say two things:

1) 33112 - absolute pile of donkey sh*t. Awful inside, but still climbs hills well.
2) The 66 reg E400s are absolutely fantastic

83G/84D

Established Member
Atlantic coaster Scania 65759 a colourful and interesting choice of bus for the first '45' from Camborne to Helston this morning.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Atlantic coaster Scania 65759 a colourful and interesting choice of bus for the first '45' from Camborne to Helston this morning.

Another Atlantic Coaster with full branding for the Newquay to Padstow route on the A17 in Penzance this p.m., opposite an unbranded closed top dd on the A1.

richw

Veteran Member
Spent today doing lots of little hop on hop off style travel round the Penzance to st Ives circuit.
The conversions all go well, and look smart.
But...
Punctuality on the A3 is non existent- a driver I spoke to said the timetable is impossible. By Lands end most were 15-20 late minimum.
A1 consistently 10 late on every service by Lands End. I'd suggest the timetable needs revisiting, it will only get worse in the summer holidays.

The 1452 to Penzance no showed at Porthcurno. The 1552 was 20 late leaving passengers for the 1452, 80 late. I went to the pub for a drink after about 15 late had passed planning to get the next service, many others stayed and waited, and they were whinging at the driver who couldn't do anything except apologise. I on the other hand had a nice cold cider whilst I waited, so maybe the thanks were due! :lol:

THarris123

Established Member
Spent today doing lots of little hop on hop off style travel round the Penzance to st Ives circuit.
But...
Punctuality on the A3 is non existent- a driver I spoke to said the timetable is impossible. By Lands end most were 15-20 late minimum.
A1 consistently 10 late on every service by Lands End. I'd suggest the timetable needs revisiting, it will only get worse in the summer holidays.

The 1452 to Penzance no showed at Porthcurno. The 1552 was 20 late leaving passengers for the 1452, 80 late. I went to the pub for a drink after about 15 late had passed planning to get the next service, many others stayed and waited, and they were whinging at the driver who couldn't do anything except apologise. I on the other hand had a nice cold cider whilst I waited, so maybe the thanks were due! :lol:

Well A1, A2 and A3 were all on time yesterday. Had plenty of time in St Ives.
The conversions are ruddy good too and the B7s really suit the job. Top marks to FSW.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Last journey of the day on the A2 today was worked by a Tinner - sums up why, on the whole, I am against routebranding except on a very limited scale.

83G/84D

Established Member
Last journey of the day on the A2 today was worked by a Tinner - sums up why, on the whole, I am against routebranding except on a very limited scale.

I feel the same about route branding and route renumbering however it seems that most bus companies prefer one or the other and sometimes both!

Confusing and un-necessary in my opinion.

carlberry

Established Member

Route branding can work well, IF the whole company is behind the idea and not just the marketing department.

GBM

But...

That has always been the problem. Drivers flag this up the chain every new timetable change, and every time they are ignored. First says it's the Council's fault; the Council say it's First's so nothing happens.
I've seen drivers sheets and talked to many.
On rare occasions extra minutes are added between stops BUT those minutes come off earlier/later stops in the same journey so the net result is still late running (T1/2 recent changes).
E.G; Penzance drivers have 6 minutes allocated between Longrock & Pz (& v.v); yet on the T1 Camborne drivers have 9 whilst all other Pz services (including the 2/17/17A/B there is 6 minutes.
First would say there is make up time when vehicles reach Pz/Falmouth/etc. If a 5 minute turn around (17's/10's) is make up time then that seems a joke. That 5 minute turn around invariably includes a driver change.
It seems First answer to that is that drivers are lazy and don't come out on time from their breaks so the fault is the drivers.
There has never been a run that has sensible running time on it from what I hear.
It's always known that the 1/300/17B were invariably late. Trying to pass a decker with a foreign 8 wheeler coach or tractor and trailer in many of the narrows on those routes will easily lose 10/15 minutes each time.
Still lovely runs that said but doesn't detract from the abysmal times set.

richw

Veteran Member
Well A1, A2 and A3 were all on time yesterday. Had plenty of time in St Ives.
The conversions are ruddy good too and the B7s really suit the job. Top marks to FSW.

I got talking through social media to a driver last night, he said dependent on vehicle availability it can run on a PVR of 7 or 8. On a 7 it arrives at Penzance and goes straight back out, which when busy has no loading time or driver changeover time. This is where time is lost.
On a 8 it is scheduled to waitover time at Penzance with vehicle having an hour break has scheduled loading time and then runs to time.
He told me yesterday was on a 7, until mid afternoon they sent a closed top out on both a A1 and A2 as it had fell so far behind time. Probably the unbranded closed top A1 and Tinner A2 Busaholic saw.

38006 was running Falmouth 400 yesterday.

Last edited:

Penwithian

But...

I too have waited with my wife at Porthcurno for a bus to Land's End which was an hour late when services used to run every two hours. The Cable Station Inn is a welcome waiting area!

83G/84D

Established Member
Volvo B7TL 32211 was seen roofless at Camborne this morning as it undergoes conversion to open top.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I got talking through social media to a driver last night, he said dependent on vehicle availability it can run on a PVR of 7 or 8. On a 7 it arrives at Penzance and goes straight back out, which when busy has no loading time or driver changeover time. This is where time is lost.
On a 8 it is scheduled to waitover time at Penzance with vehicle having an hour break has scheduled loading time and then runs to time.
He told me yesterday was on a 7, until mid afternoon they sent a closed top out on both a A1 and A2 as it had fell so far behind time. Probably the unbranded closed top A1 and Tinner A2 Busaholic saw.

There's been resurfacing works on Marazion By-Pass all week, started Monday lunchtime. I was the last car through before the traffic lights went into operation: quite long delays at time, as much between peaks as in them (the commuters soon know to go via Marazion). This was most unwelcome news after the Long Rock By-Pass works which caused long delays for weeks, and only ended last Friday.

From personal observations, unless I'd not known otherwise I might have thought the T1 headway on the Penzance section was 15 minutes, maybe even 10, as I've seen a lot of close running these last few days. I'm well aware that this means there'll be at least 45 or 50 minute gaps at other times. The close running applies both ways too, so even from Pz e.g. around 2 p.m. earlier in the week, a T1 left the Morrison's petrol station stop as another was appearing on the other side of the roundabout outside KFC - both were Truro bound. On the other hand, another early evening saw two consecutive buses (probably 10-12 minutes apart) both terminating at Camborne. These, I reiterate, are only observations and should not be taken as criticism, because obviously I wasn't cognisant of operational conditions. Compared to what I've encountered in London over the years, both as a passenger and someone involved in the operation, it is chicken-feed!

THarris123

Established Member

I saw 32027 on it in the morning, so that might have took over in the afternoon?

I think you would be right on the pvr thing of A1/2/3. Initially I thought that they came in to Penzance and then waited half hour to do the same loop again. It seems ridiculous to only have a lay over time of 7-10 minutes.

Last edited:

GBM

Unfortunately there are no 'spare' vehicles so when something runs late; it invariably stays late.
Schedules usually dictate the same vehicles stay on the same run, so if it comes in an hour late, it stays that was all day. Likewise even if a driver change over is scheduled, that makes it even later.
Tinners bunching up - a big wig in the company is alleged to have said bunching would never happen because they are spaced at 15 minute intervals. The 'short' 18's were dropped when the Tinners came in as they had the capacity to absorb passenger numbers of the shorts.
Unfortunately, increased passenger numbers on the T1/2 (with no short 18's) means greater loading and unloading time.
Unrealistic timing schedules: massive traffic delays in Truro for another year(?); the usual temporary lights everywhere means late running and bunching up for T1/2.

GBM

Solo 53701 working the 2105 (2) Penzance to Helston tonight.
I hear drivers don't see the sense in running a decker on late evenings runs when there are only a handful of passengers. Taking a Solo will comfortably take the few passengers in comfort; the driver has better visibility at night and doesn't have to worry about trees.
Easier to manoeuvre a Solo around badly parked cars at night as well.
Can also keep time better.

richw

Veteran Member
I hear drivers don't see the sense in running a decker on late evenings runs when there are only a handful of passengers. Taking a Solo will comfortably take the few passengers in comfort; the driver has better visibility at night and doesn't have to worry about trees.

I've often seen a mousehole solo on the 2 on Sundays.

THarris123

Established Member
Unfortunately there are no 'spare' vehicles so when something runs late; it invariably stays late.
Schedules usually dictate the same vehicles stay on the same run, so if it comes in an hour late, it stays that was all day. Likewise even if a driver change over is scheduled, that makes it even later.
Tinners bunching up - a big wig in the company is alleged to have said bunching would never happen because they are spaced at 15 minute intervals. The 'short' 18's were dropped when the Tinners came in as they had the capacity to absorb passenger numbers of the shorts.
Unfortunately, increased passenger numbers on the T1/2 (with no short 18's) means greater loading and unloading time.
Unrealistic timing schedules: massive traffic delays in Truro for another year(?); the usual temporary lights everywhere means late running and bunching up for T1/2.

I have to agree on T1/2. They appeared to be very unreliable from what I saw. Bunching up and running late seemed a regular occurrence when I went from Redruth to Penzance the other day.

richw

Veteran Member
Took the 1245 from Penzance to st Ives via lands end. Spent around 20 minutes reversing due to the inability of cars to do so. We met the 16A on the narrow bit near zennor, cars behind both us and the Solo refused to reverse resulting in a stand off. We were sat with reverse horn going for around 10 minutes before the car behind moved. Arrived in st Ives 25 late.
On the plus side gave me an extra 25 mins on D706GHY.
Driver said it's done 17 days now so nearly out of days to an elderly lady who complained about the steps. He explained the 20 day ruling to her.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There was one on the A17 early this morning.

One on the 16 this afternoon - an appropriate size bus for the route perhaps, although I'm told some Saturday a.m. journeys into Penzance can get overcrowded.

83G/84D

Established Member

A decker on the 2105 Penzance - Helston tonight. Perhaps Saturday nights are busier than Friday nights or a bigger bus just was not available on Friday.

busconductors

Help - it is Sunday and I am in Bodmin, and I want to get to St Austell. Traveline is telling me to take a bus to the station and take a train. What happened to First Kernow bus 27 which used to run Bodmin to St Austell?