• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Dart34518

Does anyone know if the longer darts (42871-76) are still in service now and again? Coming from Sussex its a bit of a journey not to see anything!!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Does anyone know if the longer darts (42871-76) are still in service now and again? Coming from Sussex its a bit of a journey not to see anything!!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Several have been operating regularly from Camborne usually on services 46 & 47 or 38 & 39(A).

Blackpudding

With thanks to 'First Kernow - behind the scenes' a copy of a post today showing more news on coaches:

'Our Truronian team are coordinating a large input into the Feb / March GWR rail replacement operation running between Taunton and Exeter.
Working with our colleagues at Buses of Somerset we’ll be providing some 18 coaches a day.
Joining the combined effort will be 1 Scania and 4 Volvo coaches recently displaced by new coaches on the Reading to Heathrow Rail Air service, four of them between homes but 1 of the Volvos being a new member of the Truronian fleet; 4 Yutongs, 2 before joining the BoS training fleet, 2 on hire until another 2 permanent ones arrive; two Volvos from Mistral; and a variety of current Truronian and Kernow coaches, including returning refurbished Volvos.'

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just spent the afternoon doing my own Kernow fleet list on Excel from the available information, particular the "behind the scenes" FB page. I was surprised to find that once the impending withdrawals of Darts takes place there will only be around 20% of the bus fleet yet to be painted. The greatest number of buses still in Barbie/Olympia livery are the Tridents.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just spent the afternoon doing my own Kernow fleet list on Excel from the available information, particular the "behind the scenes" FB page. I was surprised to find that once the impending withdrawals of Darts takes place there will only be around 20% of the bus fleet yet to be painted. The greatest number of buses still in Barbie/Olympia livery are the Tridents.
To be fair, they've renewed a lot of fleet and also done quite a bit of repainting with the short Darts and e200s now being done plus the Lizard fleet.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Also spent the afternoon updating my FSW fleet list using Steve White's First national fleet list dated Oct 2018 and later updates. According to those sources I believe FSW reckons it still has in stock 23009 (accident victim) 32808 32846 32876 32879 38004 40322 42474 42521 42522 42526 . In reality most if not all of these must have been disposed of.

Last edited:
@83G/84D Thank you for the info! I've got my bets on it being sold on instead of being scrapped though, since the condition is fairly good for a few more years in service

83G/84D

Established Member
Volvo B7TL 30880 returned today to Camborne after a repaint into training bus colours. Trident 33171 has received replacement skirting on the rear near side and recently repainted E200 44920 was on service 50 in Truro.

Blackpudding

For those who don't have access to First Kernow - behind the scenes, in answer to a question on a thread about this particular vehicle it was advised that Dart 43810, KU52RXJ, will be going to Buses of Somerset. No mention was made about the other Darts deemed surplus by the introduction of the Optare Solos but it wouldn't surprise me to see the remaining surplus Darts redeployed, rather than scrap, if vehicle condition allows.

Goldfish62

Established Member
For those who don't have access to First Kernow - behind the scenes, in answer to a question on a thread about this particular vehicle it was advised that Dart 43810, KU52RXJ, will be going to Buses of Somerset. No mention was made about the other Darts deemed surplus by the introduction of the Optare Solos but it wouldn't surprise me to see the remaining surplus Darts redeployed, rather than scrap, if vehicle condition allows.
16 years is pretty ancient for a lightweight single deck.

Blackpudding

16 years is pretty ancient for a lightweight single deck.

I agree but the 52 plate Caetano bodied Darts went to Scotland last year and yes I know some will say they have not had a hard life but Cymru are supposedly sending 03/53 plate Darts to Glasgow shortly. There has been an understandable lack of investment in smaller vehicles over the last few years which has instead been concentrated on deckers. They may be getting old but if they have been looked after properly that doesn't mean they are life expired. I would expect at least another couple of years out of them.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I agree but the 52 plate Caetano bodied Darts went to Scotland last year and yes I know some will say they have not had a hard life but Cymru are supposedly sending 03/53 plate Darts to Glasgow shortly. There has been an understandable lack of investment in smaller vehicles over the last few years which has instead been concentrated on deckers. They may be getting old but if they have been looked after properly that doesn't mean they are life expired. I would expect at least another couple of years out of them.
Yes, fair point, although considering a number of them have never had a repaint I wouldn't expect the bodywork to be in sound condition.

Re the Caetanos I was very surprised that they went to Glasgow, but you say, there's a shortage of small vehicles in the fleet.

carlberry

Established Member
The problem is, now the love affair with the Streetlite has ended, there's only a few Solos coming in. Perhaps First will be getting a few more ex hire vehicles from the second hand market sometime, or just wait until SPS release all of their stock!

Blackpudding

The problem is, now the love affair with the Streetlite has ended, there's only a few Solos coming in. Perhaps First will be getting a few more ex hire vehicles from the second hand market sometime, or just wait until SPS release all of their stock!

First have not really had a love affair with Optare either. In the main Solo appear to be bought in for very specific duties as we well know. First including Kernow seem to have settled on ADL as the short chassis of choice.
Except that SPS seem to be having a love affair with the StreetDeck chassis - did I read 35 are due?

83G/84D

Established Member
I am currently travelling on a 16+ year old Trident. Engine seems okay, plenty of power and moving along at a good rate of knots even uphill. On the downside everything inside seems to rattle badly, the suspension seems rock hard and so do the seats.

Incidentally on my travels today I have noted that the padded seats on the E200MMC’s are much nicer than the E400MMC’s. Anyone know why they are different?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I am currently travelling on a 16+ year old Trident. Engine seems okay, plenty of power and moving along at a good rate of knots even uphill. On the downside everything inside seems to rattle badly, the suspension seems rock hard and so do the seats.

Incidentally on my travels today I have noted that the padded seats on the E200MMC’s are much nicer than the E400MMC’s. Anyone know why they are different?
I'd expect a heavyweight double deck to last longer than a lightweight single deck.

Re the E200 seats, aren't they the very same Lazzerini Practico seats as on the E400s, which I find very comfortable?

83G/84D

Established Member
The seats on both models have the same or similar moquette however the E200MMC definitely has got more padding or is not so firm as the E400MMC. E200MMC much more comfortable in my opinion.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Is it the 2003 (rather than 2005/6) Darts that are rumoured for Glasgow? I'd seen that they were mentioning Darts but not the vintage. The 52 Caetanos were notably in very good condition but I'd suggest that other 2003 Pointers aren't!

First has not taken many Optares in the past, with Solos and a few Versas though they have been reducing the number of minibus routes anyway so Solos have left the group and not been replaced. The StreetLite appears to have been replaced by the e200mmc in First's affections (think only South Yorkshire got any last year) though the Streetdeck is still appearing in sizeable numbers in Leeds and Sheffield.

The e200mmc is still a lightweight vehicle and I do quite like them. The short ones in Kernow are naturally a bit more choppy in ride quality but generally, I quite like them. They're still not as pleasant as the Stagecoach Gold examples though!!

Blackpudding

Is it the 2003 (rather than 2005/6) Darts that are rumoured for Glasgow? I'd seen that they were mentioning Darts but not the vintage. The 52 Caetanos were notably in very good condition but I'd suggest that other 2003 Pointers aren't!

The fleet numbers of the Darts that I saw quoted, a very long time ago, for transfer from Cymru to Glasgow were 42683 CU53APY (37 seats) and 43836 SN53ESV, 43837 SN53ESU, 43848 SN53ESY and 43849 SN53ETD (all 29 seats). There was a suggestion that 43840 and 43841 may follow but the chatter has gone vey quite.

CD

Tauntons 43823 is at Winkleigh, so presumed withdrawn. 43810 a replacement for it?

83G/84D

Established Member
No idea CD but that's as good a call as any. Dart 42942 should still be due as well.

42942 was on service 47 this afternoon. I was tempted to take a last ride on it. Remember it and others in the batch being regulars on the 14 & 18 before the Volvo B7RLE’s took over.

I think some of the other Darts still survive in the Manchester area.